Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair enough. I got caught up in the emotion of watching the choke job unfold.

Congratulations Shepherd.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Sure enough, I think Kutztown will be fine handing the keys over to Blaine next year.

Take it all the way, Rams.
      My biggest concern for next year will be who the coach is.

Comment

• Originally posted by KU_2014 View Post

You believe there's a possibility he leaves?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

You believe there's a possibility he leaves?
          If a Division I-AA/FCS school comes calling I think he might, unless he feels pretty strongly he has unfinished business after today's loss.

Comment

If a Division I-AA/FCS school comes calling I think he might, unless he feels pretty strongly he has unfinished business after today's loss.
            I can tell you there has been discussion on the Any Given Saturday board (a DI-AA/FCS message board) about Jim Clements going to Lafayette. I think he'd be a great fit on College Hill in Easton. Coincidentally both of Kutztown's coordinators are Lafayette graduates.
            Last edited by CHIP72; 12-04-2021, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• My emotions are calmed down now. Congratulations Shepherd.

But man, I am disappointed. What a bitter loss on the Kutztown side.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

I can tell you there has been discussion on the Any Given Saturday board (a DI-AA/FCS message board) about Jim Clements going to Lafayette. I think he'd be a great fit on College Hill in Easton. Coincidentally both of Kutztown's coordinators are Lafayette graduates.
                Selfishly, I hope he stays.

But I can't fault anyone for wanting to advance their career either. He's had an amazing run at Kutztown. When I first started at Kutztown way back in Fall '06 they hadn't exactly had much football success despite seemingly always having football. Monica helped change that initially, and then Clements kept it going (after one season with one of Monica's assistants at the helm). Clements has certainly earned himself a chance at the I-AA/FCS level.

Comment

My emotions are calmed down now. Congratulations Shepherd.

But man, I am disappointed. What a bitter loss on the Kutztown side.
                  What you experienced today is my only fear. I don't mind losing comfortably, but being that close...

Comment

• Shepherd's Hail Mary was #2 on the Sports Center Top 10.

Comment

• Comment

I think you are right to be concerned. He is an excellent coach. His initial game plans and then his game adjustments are tremendous. Kutztown has a ball control and
                        defensive style that many FCS programs would benefit from.

Comment

• FWIW, ESPN.com is showing Shepherd will play at Ferris State next Saturday (12/11) at 3:30 PM ET. That game will be broadcast on ESPN+.

Comment

• I got back late and tired from the whirlwind of emotions followed by work today. A few thoughts from the latest game to enter Shepherd folklore ....

After the pick-six and a 0-21 deficit, I imagine many of the Kutztown fan club resigned themselves to the fact that it just wasn't in the cards for them to move on. After watching Shepherd struggle to put the game away and the Golden Bears' second touchdown bringing the game to within one score, the roar of the home crowd came alive and it was impressive. Once the game was tied and Kutztown had all the momentum, doubt crept in on the visiting side. Once Kutztown was awarded the ball following INT return/fumble and subsequent TD, the Shepherd crowd pretty much resigned themselves to having reached the end of the road. And the Kutztown crowd was riding high on cloud nine. While the KO return had everyone raising their eyebrows and thinking back to one week ago, the PI (I pride myself on being objective re: penalties, the PI was apparent from my vantage point) tradeoff for 15 yards wasn't as beneficial as the time off the clock was detrimental. After the next couple of attempts, the visiting side was pretty sure it wasn't going to be a good ending for Shepherd, and Kutztown was certain it was a storybook come-from-behind victory.

Then in one play, thousands of people swapped emotions, instantaneously. The Shepherd crowd was both elated, yet empathetic.

Positives:

- Lack of chippiness from both teams. The professional decorum showed at the end of the game between both sides. Class acts all around
                            - Highlight reel endings that I witnessed live and will treasure for as long as I can remember, and the emotions captured on camera to be preserved forever
                            - Pick six was HUGE!!!
                            - Taking a 21-point lead over a top defense and good offense
                            - Critical 40+ yard FGs drilled through the uprights in multiple playoff games
                            - Replay availability to help ensure, win or lose, the calls on the field were correct
                            - Shepherd doesn't quit until the clock reads 0:00 and the ball is on the ground
                            - The officials actually called some penalties (namely Holds) but still let 'em play for the most part ... a lot of good non-calls for both sides
                            - The weather for an early Dec. football game
                            - The Outcome
                            - KU ... nice campus
                            - Young players suffering some growing pains, but getting great, crucial experience in huge games
                            - The size of the Shepherd fan club that showed up in person to support the Rams ... not one available seat on the visiting side, lined up along the fence, and pockets of fans in the home stands

Negatives:

- Top offense led by a Harlon Hill candidate unable to put the game out of reach with numerous opportunities
                            - Defense unable to sustain a 21-point lead over a team known for defense, not offense (good, solid offense but not great)
                            - Another blocked FG attempt by Kutztown ... fortunately this one wasn't returned
                            (credit the holder for being aware of the play clock, but the kicker wasn't ready--take the five yard penalty and end the half with one shot at the end zone--apparently the team excels at those)
                            - What happened to the offense in the second half -- play calling, execution, or shut-down defense? I'm sure it was a combination of the three
                            - Bagent and WRs are struggling to connect on the deeper passes; much more-so than earlier in the season
                            - The defenders at this level of competition know how to jar the ball loose--know when the game is on the line and fighting for an extra yard or three is critical vs just going down and avoiding the fumble (this goes for both WRs and any secondary that intercepts the ball)
                            - KU clock operator ... asleep at the wheel or just being a complete homer?
                            - Feeling like I need to sit in a quiet, dark room after each playoff game to decompress the roller coaster of emotions
                            - There are other things I'd point out, but I'd rather the Ferris State coaching staff have to figure it out for themselves by watching film than me highlighting problems for them

No disrespect to Findlay, Notre Dame College or Kutztown, but the mountain gets a bit steeper from this point onward ....

Go Rams!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post
                              I got back late and tired from the whirlwind of emotions followed by work today. A few thoughts from the latest game to enter Shepherd folklore ....

After the pick-six and a 0-21 deficit, I imagine many of the Kutztown fan club resigned themselves to the fact that it just wasn't in the cards for them to move on. After watching Shepherd struggle to put the game away and the Golden Bears' second touchdown bringing the game to within one score, the roar of the home crowd came alive and it was impressive. Once the game was tied and Kutztown had all the momentum, doubt crept in on the visiting side. Once Kutztown was awarded the ball following INT return/fumble and subsequent TD, the Shepherd crowd pretty much resigned themselves to having reached the end of the road. And the Kutztown crowd was riding high on cloud nine. While the KO return had everyone raising their eyebrows and thinking back to one week ago, the PI (I pride myself on being objective re: penalties, the PI was apparent from my vantage point) tradeoff for 15 yards wasn't as beneficial as the time off the clock was detrimental. After the next couple of attempts, the visiting side was pretty sure it wasn't going to be a good ending for Shepherd, and Kutztown was certain it was a storybook come-from-behind victory.

Then in one play, thousands of people swapped emotions, instantaneously. The Shepherd crowd was both elated, yet empathetic.

Positives:

- Lack of chippiness from both teams. The professional decorum showed at the end of the game between both sides. Class acts all around
                              - Highlight reel endings that I witnessed live and will treasure for as long as I can remember, and the emotions captured on camera to be preserved forever
                              - Pick six was HUGE!!!
                              - Taking a 21-point lead over a top defense and good offense
                              - Critical 40+ yard FGs drilled through the uprights in multiple playoff games
                              - Replay availability to help ensure, win or lose, the calls on the field were correct
                              - Shepherd doesn't quit until the clock reads 0:00 and the ball is on the ground
                              - The officials actually called some penalties (namely Holds) but still let 'em play for the most part ... a lot of good non-calls for both sides
                              - The weather for an early Dec. football game
                              - The Outcome
                              - KU ... nice campus
                              - Young players suffering some growing pains, but getting great, crucial experience in huge games
                              - The size of the Shepherd fan club that showed up in person to support the Rams ... not one available seat on the visiting side, lined up along the fence, and pockets of fans in the home stands

Negatives:

- Top offense led by a Harlon Hill candidate unable to put the game out of reach with numerous opportunities
                              - Defense unable to sustain a 21-point lead over a team known for defense, not offense (good, solid offense but not great)
                              - Another blocked FG attempt by Kutztown ... fortunately this one wasn't returned
                              (credit the holder for being aware of the play clock, but the kicker wasn't ready--take the five yard penalty and end the half with one shot at the end zone--apparently the team excels at those)
                              - What happened to the offense in the second half -- play calling, execution, or shut-down defense? I'm sure it was a combination of the three
                              - Bagent and WRs are struggling to connect on the deeper passes; much more-so than earlier in the season
                              - The defenders at this level of competition know how to jar the ball loose--know when the game is on the line and fighting for an extra yard or three is critical vs just going down and avoiding the fumble (this goes for both WRs and any secondary that intercepts the ball)
                              - KU clock operator ... asleep at the wheel or just being a complete homer?
                              - Feeling like I need to sit in a quiet, dark room after each playoff game to decompress the roller coaster of emotions
                              - There are other things I'd point out, but I'd rather the Ferris State coaching staff have to figure it out for themselves by watching film than me highlighting problems for them

No disrespect to Findlay, Notre Dame College or Kutztown, but the mountain gets a bit steeper from this point onward ....

Go Rams!
                              The mountain gets pretty much vertical from here on out, but BIG HORN RAMS are used to it and get along quite well !!! Let's Go Rams !!!

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X