X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Totally their football problem. Similar to Bloom, Clarion & Edinboro. Most PSAC schools have two major attendance-drawing men's sports, football and basketball. Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro, & Lock Haven have three. Playing up at D1 also means more travel, more tournaments, etc. but it also means more financial support. There's a greater sense of urgency to support a program playing up than a ho-hum D2 program - but it comes at the detriment of football & basketball. If anyone has 3 kids they know what its like versus if they had just 2 kids.
    By choice, according to your model, LHU has 4 if you include Women's Field Hockey , also D1. Luckily, there is something called diversity in the world and all athletic programs are not the same. Trust me, as someone who grew up in LH and has been a fervent Bald Eagle Wrestling fan for over 50 years, LHU isn't going to give up having a major wrestling program in exchange for a couple more wins in football each year. That's not who they are.

As for FH, that D1 program is a legacy from the overall strong women's athletics they have had in many sports for decades (actually going back to before the Ms. Taylor era). Generally, there is a lot of pressure from the women's side, e.g. the boys have their D1 program so the girls should, too. And that's the way it is. Just like the difference between D1 and D2 in football, that difference exists in these other sports, too. I have no problem with LHU's athletics being structured the way it is. They are the only D2 affiliated school that has two D1 sports. They don't want to give that up. Now, who knows how the triad evolves and what it will mean for athletics.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Wrestling has been something Lock Haven has featured for decades, certainly more than football. Maybe that is part of their football problem.
    Totally their football problem. Similar to Bloom, Clarion & Edinboro. Most PSAC schools have two major attendance-drawing men's sports, football and basketball. Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro, & Lock Haven have three. Playing up at D1 also means more travel, more tournaments, etc. but it also means more financial support. There's a greater sense of urgency to support a program playing up than a ho-hum D2 program - but it comes at the detriment of football & basketball. If anyone has 3 kids they know what its like versus if they had just 2 kids.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    At least LHU's Wrestling team put up a good showing against Big 10 Michigan State tonight, losing 19-17. The Spartans came through with a victory at Heavyweight to take their first lead and win the match. Somewhat offsets the Bald Eagles football ills.
    Wrestling has been something Lock Haven has featured for decades, certainly more than football. Maybe that is part of their football problem.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Something off the field has to be it. The AD has been there for a few years so its not like its a matter of new guy wants his own hire or thinks he can do something better. Has to be something inside the department or something about Kelling & Sprague performance. Kelling's wife is letting them have it though! My worry is that this doesn't reverse the trend of players leaving after 1-2 years or the lack of alumni & community buy-in. Just before the release went out there were players sharing their Lock Haven offers online and thanking Kelling and Sprague. Without any more details (and we're unlikely to get any) this just hits strange.
    Today will be LH portal day.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Hopefully, for LHU's sake, there isn't some kind of violation involved. It makes me wonder, though.
    Something off the field has to be it. The AD has been there for a few years so its not like its a matter of new guy wants his own hire or thinks he can do something better. Has to be something inside the department or something about Kelling & Sprague performance. Kelling's wife is letting them have it though! My worry is that this doesn't reverse the trend of players leaving after 1-2 years or the lack of alumni & community buy-in. Just before the release went out there were players sharing their Lock Haven offers online and thanking Kelling and Sprague. Without any more details (and we're unlikely to get any) this just hits strange.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Hopefully, for LHU's sake, there isn't some kind of violation involved. It makes me wonder, though.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    At least LHU's Wrestling team put up a good showing against Big 10 Michigan State tonight, losing 19-17. The Spartans came through with a victory at Heavyweight to take their first lead and win the match. Somewhat offsets the Bald Eagles football ills.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post

Who is Tate Gregory????

Leave a comment:

• Cavalier 1
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Tate Gregory to Lock Haven. Start the campaign.
    Who is Tate Gregory????

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    never mind

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Right now the HC is the man, until he isn't. I support the program, team, and coaches at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Futurelooksbright
    replied
    Again good luck in the future. Good luck to Bloom, a young team, a very good young RB, some young linemen, young wideouts, yes lost twins but must follow team rules anywhere you go!! Hopefully not as many injuries next year!!! Whoever the student athletes you follow, good luck wherever they end up.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Tate Gregory to Lock Haven. Start the campaign.
    AGREE !!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Footballfanofall
    replied
    Originally posted by Futurelooksbright View Post
    Footballfanofall, we get it you don't like Sheptock, good luck at new school with your boy! Move on!!! If he doesn't win in next 2 years Bloom will move on!!!
    First of all, I NEVER SAID in any post that I didn't like Coach Sheptock. You must have me confused with someone else.
    Second, I wanted to see Bloom have a successful season. There is alot of good student athletes on that team.
    Thirdly, I'm not who you think I am. Don't assume who someone is by their posts.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X