Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bart
    replied
    A couple of players have elected to transfer in the past 24 hours citing the coaching change.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I don't disagree with much you say except FIELD HOCKEY. D3 has 158 teams, a solid championship field. D1 has 79 teams, a bit small but OK. DIV 2 has 36 team of which 11 are PSAC and 11 are NE10 plus 14 unaffiliated. How in heaven's name is that a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP sport ??
    Yeah, I totally agree. What Taylor did, though, is to create the scenario for FH to have a NC in all divisions, not just for D2. Plus, she gave the keys to Pat Rudy at LH to take it to D1. I've had online conversations with current FH HC Rudy regarding funding,, etc. where I disagreed with her. Let me tell you, these women are not to be denied.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I truly believe that what Sharon Taylor oversaw was an athletics department that came close to true equitability. The problem was that her department was competing against schools that were less equitable. The men did gain some leverage since she was forced out and some men's programs (not football) have improved their competitiveness. For instance, men's basketball has rebounded (NPI). Overlooked, though, is that within a college athletics department competition between sports programs is often a zero-sum game. Gains by one sport take away from something else. In my opinion, men's basketball had as much of a beef against the wrestling program as anything and that was not Taylor's fault. Football started its decline several years before Taylor became AD. Again, you can argue that there are other factors involved that have kept LH football down. The bottom line is that since Taylor's ouster men's programs (sans football) have gotten more competitive and women's programs have gotten less competitive. Even today, numerous PSAC schools do not meet equity requirements. In many cases, it is something they "are moving towards" and that is good enough for the NCAA.

Sharon Taylor is someone who changed the world. How many of us can say that? She was a leading national and international voice for women's athletics over the course of her career. Perhaps most notably, Sharon Taylor almost single-handedly brought Women's Field Hockey into the NCAA and established it as a sport with a national championship. As a result of her influence, the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHAA) honored her with its first lifetime achievement award, See article.

https://www.golhu.com/news/2019/1/17...ent-award.aspx

In my opinion, the ouster of Taylor from her AD position was ugly and riddled with pervasive sexism. For instance, the Williamsport ESPN sports radio affiliate teamed with the anti-Taylor elements at LHU to wage a true propaganda campaign against her over the airwaves. Most of what they claimed was wrong. Taylor sued the station for defamation but the station won, not because their propaganda was true or legitimate, but instead, they brought out a "public figure" defense which says that they can say whatever they want about her simply because she is a public figure. Totally lame. But the damage was done and Taylor resigned. I think that whole thing is a stain on a lot of people, not necessarily on Sharon Taylor.
    I don't disagree with much you say except FIELD HOCKEY. D3 has 158 teams, a solid championship field. D1 has 79 teams, a bit small but OK. DIV 2 has 36 team of which 11 are PSAC and 11 are NE10 plus 14 unaffiliated. How in heaven's name is that a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP sport ??

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don' know if it's the lack of scholarships or the losing tradition. Maybe Bloom's Sheptock can coach both teams. They share a President.
    Consolidation is hovering over the 3 schools in each division that are facing the possibility of combining 3 programs into 1. There's still no guarantee that the PSAC will be the same conference in 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I truly believe that what Sharon Taylor oversaw was an athletics department that came close to true equitability. The problem was that her department was competing against schools that were less equitable. The men did gain some leverage since she was forced out and some men's programs (not football) have improved their competitiveness. For instance, men's basketball has rebounded (NPI). Overlooked, though, is that within a college athletics department competition between sports programs is often a zero-sum game. Gains by one sport take away from something else. In my opinion, men's basketball had as much of a beef against the wrestling program as anything and that was not Taylor's fault. Football started its decline several years before Taylor became AD. Again, you can argue that there are other factors involved that have kept LH football down. The bottom line is that since Taylor's ouster men's programs (sans football) have gotten more competitive and women's programs have gotten less competitive. Even today, numerous PSAC schools do not meet equity requirements. In many cases, it is something they "are moving towards" and that is good enough for the NCAA.

Sharon Taylor is someone who changed the world. How many of us can say that? She was a leading national and international voice for women's athletics over the course of her career. Perhaps most notably, Sharon Taylor almost single-handedly brought Women's Field Hockey into the NCAA and established it as a sport with a national championship. As a result of her influence, the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHAA) honored her with its first lifetime achievement award, See article.

https://www.golhu.com/news/2019/1/17...ent-award.aspx

In my opinion, the ouster of Taylor from her AD position was ugly and riddled with pervasive sexism. For instance, the Williamsport ESPN sports radio affiliate teamed with the anti-Taylor elements at LHU to wage a true propaganda campaign against her over the airwaves. Most of what they claimed was wrong. Taylor sued the station for defamation but the station won, not because their propaganda was true or legitimate, but instead, they brought out a "public figure" defense which says that they can say whatever they want about her simply because she is a public figure. Totally lame. But the damage was done and Taylor resigned. I think that whole thing is a stain on a lot of people, not necessarily on Sharon Taylor.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 12-05-2021, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I'll let him give you his response, but here is some background.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

IUPNation - may I ask who is Ms Taylor ?

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I guess the obvious question is why does Lock Haven say every few years it wants to go in a different direction
    Yea...I want MY team to go "in a different direction" too...Like MORE wins vs less wins.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

As LH plays 'up' in two sports ... could they play 'down' in football (and move to D3)?
    I don't believe that is possible. There are specific NCAA rules for individual teams playing up a division. Don't think a school can have one of it's teams play up (or down in this case) just because they want to. Now, if they went to NAIA for football, that might be a possibility

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied

I'll let him give you his response, but here is some background.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied

You would need to be in your 20s looking for a HC job or in your 50s or 60s looking for one last dance.

Track record speaks for itself. These guys weren't all bums when they took that job. The result is just unfortunately always the same.

As we always say, a third of the league goes in heavy. A third seems to have a goal of being .500. And, a third likes the enrollment boost.
    That is exactly right. And frankly, I haven't seen anyone from the lower two tiers making a concerted effort to move up a tier.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Exactly IUPbigINDIANS .

The AD treats the position like its a temp position.
    You would need to be in your 20s looking for a HC job or in your 50s or 60s looking for one last dance.

Track record speaks for itself. These guys weren't all bums when they took that job. The result is just unfortunately always the same.

As we always say, a third of the league goes in heavy. A third seems to have a goal of being .500. And, a third likes the enrollment boost.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    Originally posted by CC_BU View Post
    Wasn't Southern Columbia High School coach Jim Roth a candidate for that job once upon a time?
    I think Jim likes the higher talent level right where he is.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Help Wanted: Captain of Titanic
    Exactly IUPbigINDIANS .

The AD treats the position like its a temp position.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X