Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read Matt's article this morning about today's Spring Game. What I find interesting is that Ingram is playing LB. I think that's a smart move. Of course, Cox (transfer from Millersville) is the other LB, 2nd team LB's are Strickland and Sims. That's a pretty strong unit, IMO. With their depth in the secondary, they can afford to move Ingram up to LB.

The article also mentions Marchitelli being out with a hamstring injury. I guess that makes Romano the 2nd string QB.

Who is going to this game?

Comment

• Beisbol now 26-10 and tied for first in the West.

Comment

• My evaluation of the spring game:
        • I was almost shocked by the attendance. Granted it was a perfect night weather wise but I don’t ever remember that many people at a spring game. Very impressive.
        • It’s hard to know what you’re watching because everyone knows the plays, the team is playing against itself, and it’s more about getting live reps and working on things than it is trying to put together long drives to win a game. Saying that, here’s what stood out:
          • Defense dominated. Some younger guys on the D-Line looked really good, particularly Julian Jeffries a sophomore from Woodland Hills. Linebackers looked good and backup Ethan Hiester stood out. Kalen Frazier had two nice pics off Karst Hunter (more on that later) and punter Aiden Spitler hit some bombs. Neither offense could sustain a drive.
          • There was only one score, which was an electrifying swing pass from Hunter to Adam Houser. Houser showed a burst I didn’t know he had to turn what should have just been a big gain into a touchdown.
          • It’s spring so I won’t be too critical of the offensive line but neither the 1’s or 2’s had a good day. Several pre-snap penalties and missed blocks with a lot of pressure on the QB’s. Running backs had no room. We know the O-line was a weak spot for this team last year so that will be something to keep an eye on this fall.
          • Hunter didn’t have a good day. He threw two pics and was off target on several other throws. Again, it’s spring and he may have been asked to throw to a particular route and he wasn’t necessarily working with the guys he will be this fall. My criticism would be his footwork and staring down receivers. He threw off balance several times and one of the two pics it was obvious where the ball was going. In fairness to him, he’s going to be more effective when he’s a running threat and they can game plan for opponents. For now I’ll say there’s nothing to see here but admittedly I’m a little nervous.
          • Kicker Andrasi missed a 35 yard field goal but made an extra point.
        • There were no significant injuries. A couple limp-offs and a face cut. The biggest scare was WR Zach Boyd who went down on a non-contact knee injury. He got up on his own power and was iced up, but on his feet and the trainers didn’t seem overly concerned.
        • Several players that will play big roles in the fall were not involved today.
        Prep for the fall begins now. This is an experienced group and certainly has a chip on their shoulder after last season. The energy was good today and the players were engaged and focused. I’ll be interested to see if others that were there saw it the way I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
          My evaluation of the spring game:
          • I was almost shocked by the attendance. Granted it was a perfect night weather wise but I don’t ever remember that many people at a spring game. Very impressive.
          • It’s hard to know what you’re watching because everyone knows the plays, the team is playing against itself, and it’s more about getting live reps and working on things than it is trying to put together long drives to win a game. Saying that, here’s what stood out:
            • Defense dominated. Some younger guys on the D-Line looked really good, particularly Julian Jeffries a sophomore from Woodland Hills. Linebackers looked good and backup Ethan Hiester stood out. Kalen Frazier had two nice pics off Karst Hunter (more on that later) and punter Aiden Spitler hit some bombs. Neither offense could sustain a drive.
            • There was only one score, which was an electrifying swing pass from Hunter to Adam Houser. Houser showed a burst I didn’t know he had to turn what should have just been a big gain into a touchdown.
            • It’s spring so I won’t be too critical of the offensive line but neither the 1’s or 2’s had a good day. Several pre-snap penalties and missed blocks with a lot of pressure on the QB’s. Running backs had no room. We know the O-line was a weak spot for this team last year so that will be something to keep an eye on this fall.
            • Hunter didn’t have a good day. He threw two pics and was off target on several other throws. Again, it’s spring and he may have been asked to throw to a particular route and he wasn’t necessarily working with the guys he will be this fall. My criticism would be his footwork and staring down receivers. He threw off balance several times and one of the two pics it was obvious where the ball was going. In fairness to him, he’s going to be more effective when he’s a running threat and they can game plan for opponents. For now I’ll say there’s nothing to see here but admittedly I’m a little nervous.
            • Kicker Andrasi missed a 35 yard field goal but made an extra point.
          • There were no significant injuries. A couple limp-offs and a face cut. The biggest scare was WR Zach Boyd who went down on a non-contact knee injury. He got up on his own power and was iced up, but on his feet and the trainers didn’t seem overly concerned.
          • Several players that will play big roles in the fall were not involved today.
          Prep for the fall begins now. This is an experienced group and certainly has a chip on their shoulder after last season. The energy was good today and the players were engaged and focused. I’ll be interested to see if others that were there saw it the way I did.
          Agreed. The defense is at such an advantage it's hard to really take much out of it. Across the country the D's typically dominate these games. Like you said, it's much easier to play defense when you know what's coming. They immediately recognize the calls, formations, etc.

Karst's biggest threat is his ability to take off - and they sure weren't having him risk anything last night. He was also playing without several of his best weapons.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty encouraging night. That D is going to be even further boosted by those two monsters that were in street clothes (assuming the ND import signs this weekend). The DL could be a pretty strong group.

Comment

• Speaking of 'beef' on the DL, it seems former OL Okoro (Concord transfer) is now on the DL.

He played on the OL last year for IUP.

Comment

• Speaking of missing players, I realize Stewart was suspended for missing a meeting but where is Cole Weightman? No mention of him and it looks like he didn't participate in the scrimmage. I think he's the most underrated player, even though he was 1st Team in the West last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Agreed. The defense is at such an advantage it's hard to really take much out of it. Across the country the D's typically dominate these games. Like you said, it's much easier to play defense when you know what's coming. They immediately recognize the calls, formations, etc.

Karst's biggest threat is his ability to take off - and they sure weren't having him risk anything last night. He was also playing without several of his best weapons.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty encouraging night. That D is going to be even further boosted by those two monsters that were in street clothes (assuming the ND import signs this weekend). The DL could be a pretty strong group.
                Two all conference ND guys signed as per there X pages. Dude from Millersville was at game in street clothes looks like grown man. This might after a brief gelling period be a really physical defense. The pass rush should resemble the old days. We shall see. Great job by staff on getting ND DE who had multiple D1 offers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Two all conference ND guys signed as per there X pages. Dude from Millersville was at game in street clothes looks like grown man. This might after a brief gelling period be a really physical defense. The pass rush should resemble the old days. We shall see. Great job by staff on getting ND DE who had multiple D1 offers.
                  Gigantic day for Tort

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

How old were the "old days?" We talking 30+ years ago?

Hype Train is officially in gear!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Gigantic day for Tort
                      Here we go 🙄….no transfer on the planet can help this coaching staff get out of their own way. Let’s shut this down before it gets out of hand, again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Saying that it's a big day for Tort after signing 2 All-Conference players isn't what I would call "hype train" stuff. Maybe it should be downplayed to keep everybody happy.

I would like to know who the players are, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Saying that it's a big day for Tort after signing 2 All-Conference players isn't what I would call "hype train" stuff. Maybe it should be downplayed to keep everybody happy.

Ok, I see them. A DE and a LB.

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Here we go 🙄….no transfer on the planet can help this coaching staff get out of their own way. Let’s shut this down before it gets out of hand, again.
                            By July, IUP will be picked to win the SEC East.

Hype aside, they've added some studs via the portal this off-season.

I think Tort had a terrific haul (so far). They aren't done yet, either, from what I'm told.

He's without question got a ton of talent. The big question, however, is can he and this staff handle it.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I could care less who is happy on here. This WAS a big weekend for the program, and the actual IUP fans on here should be excited. Tort added some D2-experienced guys in some positions of need -- guys who a lot of the other big boys in the Region also recruited.

IUP (and especially Tort) took its licks last year. Hopefully others enjoyed it. It won't last long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

We’ll take another 2017 at least…

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X