Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of AB's better OL just committed to Glenville State

Comment

• Cal and SRU have posted their rosters.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I did Google street view maps and it's not someplace I'd would have want to spend 4-5 years of my life. If it was Bridgeport or Clarksburg, West Virginia...maybe.

Heck it took me a good year to come to the realization Indiana was actually a decent town. Coming from Norristown it took some getting used to....
        I've been to Phillipi (some years ago), and it struck me as a very small, decent enough town that wasn't near much of anything else. Shippensburg is not a big town, but at least you can jump into a car and find something to do within reasonable driving distance.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I did Google street view maps and it's not someplace I'd would have want to spend 4-5 years of my life. If it was Bridgeport or Clarksburg, West Virginia...maybe.

Heck it took me a good year to come to the realization Indiana was actually a decent town. Coming from Norristown it took some getting used to....
          There are probably few college towns in the region which would make California, Pa. look attractive. So, at least Phillipi has that going for it.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Well if its any consolation, Cal is already putting stuff out there looking for a replacement game.
            They might as well play one of those "punching bag" colleges like Lincoln (CA) or Fort Lauderdale or whatever that sketchy college near Houston was called (North American?). Pretty much the same thing, only it probably wouldn't be countable.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

They might as well play one of those "punching bag" colleges like Lincoln (CA) or Fort Lauderdale or whatever that sketchy college near Houston was called (North American?). Pretty much the same thing, only it probably wouldn't be countable.
              Shame on Cal for scheduling probably a 2 year deal with and 0-11 program that everybody knew was in financial dire straits. Foolish and costly move for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Shame on Cal for scheduling probably a 2 year deal with and 0-11 program that everybody knew was in financial dire straits. Foolish and costly move for sure.
                Considering that Cal has a history of scheduling decent non-conference opponents dating back to Luckhardt's time as head coach, but this might've been the worst non-con opponent Cal has ever scheduled. Even St. Anselm and Fairmont State weren't the most impressive non-con opponents, but at least they've been not as putrid as AB.

Comment

Considering that Cal has a history of scheduling decent non-conference opponents dating back to Luckhardt's time as head coach, but this might've been the worst non-con opponent Cal has ever scheduled. Even St. Anselm and Fairmont State weren't the most impressive non-con opponents, but at least they've been not as putrid as AB.
                  As always, it takes two to tango. Looking around, quite a few are playing cupcakes.

With Kutztown and Shepherd in Weeks 2 & 3, I'm sure Cal wasn't exactly looking for a heavyweight fight in Week 1.

I just wonder if the AB news was so late that Cal was already geared up to start camp. Typically if you don't play in Week 1 you report to camp a week later. The NCAA has all these 'practice hours' rules nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

They've been in financial distress for almost 15 years. All of this came to a head just this summer. Besides, Lombardi has played AB and now defunct Ohio Valley several times.

Comment

They've been in financial distress for almost 15 years. All of this came to a head just this summer. Besides, Lombardi has played AB and now defunct Ohio Valley several times.
                      In fairness, AB men's basketball was historically at least a decent program -- and very strong for a long period. In fact, AB had IUP on the ropes in the KCAC back in 2016 before a late three by Dante Lombardi off an inbound steal (followed by a technical foul on the AB bench). AB had some really tough teams under its previous coach.

If Joe played Ohio Valley it must have been a long time ago. I have no memory of such a game. It's possible but it would have been very early in his tenure.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

In fairness, AB men's basketball was historically at least a decent program -- and very strong for a long period. In fact, AB had IUP on the ropes in the KCAC back in 2016 before a late three by Dante Lombardi off an inbound steal (followed by a technical foul on the AB bench). AB had some really tough teams under its previous coach.

If Joe played Ohio Valley it must have been a long time ago. I have no memory of such a game. It's possible but it would have been very early in his tenure.
                        IUP played Ohio Valley twice during the Lombardi era: Dec. 6, 2008 at home (90-61) and Dec. 6, 2007 at OVU (76-69). The two teams faced off during twice the Gary Edwards era (1996-97 and 1997-98 - both IUP wins).
                        Last edited by ctrabs74; 08-08-2023, 10:29 AM.

Comment

And IUP has scheduled at least one D3 opponent in each of the past few seasons:

2022-23: vs. PSU-Altoona (99-54)
                          2021-22: vs. Pitt-Greensburg (107-55)
                          2019-20: vs. Bethany (108-41)
                          2018-19: vs. Westminster (Pa.) (106-77)

As I noted elsewhere in the thread, the two games vs. Ohio Valley were in 2007 and 2008 during the early years of Lombardi's tenure at IUP.

Comment

As I noted elsewhere in the thread, the two games vs. Ohio Valley were in 2007 and 2008 during the early years of Lombardi's tenure at IUP.
                            They did but two of the years were because D2 teams bailed on them after the season started. Salem cancelled the week before the game and a team from New England did something similar.

Typically a filler game around the holidays. He should count them as exhibitions. Glorified practices.

Comment

If degrees from the Outlet Schools count as one from their main campuses..then IUP can Legitimately claim it has beaten both the Centre County Community College and the Oakland Remedial College.

:-)

Comment

• I'll just say that AB in football and AB in basketball were two entirely different animals.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X