Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a few have asked via private message, I'll post the Week 1 Pick 'Em in about two weeks. I typically post it a couple weeks early.

If Cal is going to find a replacement game for Week 1, we'll surely know by then.

Comment

• Originally posted by playersdad View Post
      If Manchin was involved with it, it would have been done correctly with regard for the players. Unfort. for everyone involved who was caught off-guard. When the initial reports started to surface about the financial issues I hope student-athletes saw the writing or were told unofficially they may want to explore their options.. Being around college athletics as long as I have, I expect unofficial "leaks" were in place already and it came to no one's surprise. Kind of reminds me how the PSAC handled the covid mess and before this, how EUP handled ending baseball...everyone was on the edge of their seat waiting for a decision that was made long before it was "announced". I hope any athlete in any sport there who has time to transfer does successfully.
      AB has had financial issues for almost 15 years. They've been pursuing emergency financing since 2015. It just wasn't being covered by traditional media. When they got emergency financing around 2017 or 2018 the conditions were that the president & finance VP had to resign, which they did.

Comment

• Originally posted by playersdad View Post
        If Manchin was involved with it, it would have been done correctly with regard for the players. Unfort. for everyone involved who was caught off-guard. When the initial reports started to surface about the financial issues I hope student-athletes saw the writing or were told unofficially they may want to explore their options.. Being around college athletics as long as I have, I expect unofficial "leaks" were in place already and it came to no one's surprise. Kind of reminds me how the PSAC handled the covid mess and before this, how EUP handled ending baseball...everyone was on the edge of their seat waiting for a decision that was made long before it was "announced". I hope any athlete in any sport there who has time to transfer does successfully.
        I know a cheerleader on scholarship at AB. They were assured that the school year would go on as planned last week. They were blindsided yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

I know a cheerleader on scholarship at AB. They were assured that the school year would go on as planned last week. They were blindsided yesterday.
          No wonder they went broke with cheerleading schollies, geez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Going by the open dates on the site, looks like West Georgia or American International are looking for week 1 games. Not sure when that was last updated though.
            Both booked AIU at a FCS and West Georgia host Limestone. Like I said screwed unless they can find a D3 team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

No wonder they went broke with cheerleading schollies, geez.
              They had a competitive cheer squad. I have no idea what that entails, but they went to large competitions. I have no idea how much money they spent on it.
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Per Inkblot, Mars Hill and Michigan Tech are the two D2 programs with an opening week 1 this year. Not sure if Cal would want to make those trips.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                  Per Inkblot, Mars Hill and Michigan Tech are the two D2 programs with an opening week 1 this year. Not sure if Cal would want to make those trips.
                  Mars Hill is about 6.5 hours from Cal. That's pretty doable. Would definitely be a long overnight trip - head down Friday, quick run through, stay in a hotel, play the game, leave after getting a bite to eat and get home Saturday night. Cal to Mars Hill is 6.5 hours. Gannon & Mercyhurst to West Chester is 6 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Because its in West Virginia - and in Philippi, West Virginia. Not politically or historically expedient to the Baptist church. 863 students in a town of 2,900. But maybe you should ask their office - its in KoP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip...hilippiWV1.jpg
                    They are still there? I thought they moved since the built a Top Golf on that property…

I don’t think they are the Main Baptist Group either.

Comment

• Well if its any consolation, Cal is already putting stuff out there looking for a replacement game.

Comment

Well if its any consolation, Cal is already putting stuff out there looking for a replacement game.
                        AB was a terrible football program but typically even the bad teams in D2 have some good players. I suspect we'll see some signings starting today.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

AB was a terrible football program but typically even the bad teams in D2 have some good players. I suspect we'll see some signings starting today.
                          Yes especially the private schools who can trick better players with the illusion of big money.

They had transfers from the following:
                          Akron
                          Fairmont State
                          Florida International
                          Kansas
                          Old Dominion (Lock Haven before that)
                          Seton Hill
                          Tiffin
                          Towson

Comment

Yes especially the private schools who can trick better players with the illusion of big money.

They had transfers from the following:
                            Akron
                            Fairmont State
                            Florida International
                            Kansas
                            Old Dominion (Lock Haven before that)
                            Seton Hill
                            Tiffin
                            Towson
                            I would love to hear the marketing pitch to come spend months living in Phillipi, West Virginia. It must be as good as St Francis selling the beauty of Loretto.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I would love to hear the marketing pitch to come spend months living in Phillipi, West Virginia. It must be as good as St Francis selling the beauty of Loretto.
                              Same. I've never been there but looking on a map it has all the basics a college town needs (bars, fast food, pizza, etc.) but the surrounding area is so desolate and impoverished. So impoverished that international missionary organization World Vision has a location in town.

Comment

Same. I've never been there but looking on a map it has all the basics a college town needs (bars, fast food, pizza, etc.) but the surrounding area is so desolate and impoverished. So impoverished that international missionary organization World Vision has a location in town.
                                I did Google street view maps and it's not someplace I'd would have want to spend 4-5 years of my life. If it was Bridgeport or Clarksburg, West Virginia...maybe.

Heck it took me a good year to come to the realization Indiana was actually a decent town. Coming from Norristown it took some getting used to....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X