Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP - I Usually Party?

As the struggle continues for IUP in pursuit of a football or basketball division 2 national championship, the Wall Street Journal has reported that IUP is now famous. Not just for me graduating from there but apparently my alma mater is now considered to be the #1 party school… not just Pennsylvania… the whole USA. What a sad distinction. 1 Through 4:
    Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus 1
    Texas Christian University 2
    Birmingham-Southern College 3
    James Madison University 4

Originally posted by BADinPA View Post
    As the struggle continues for IUP in pursuit of a football or basketball division 2 national championship, the Wall Street Journal has reported that IUP is now famous. Not just for me graduating from there but apparently my alma mater is now considered to be the #1 party school… not just Pennsylvania… the whole USA. What a sad distinction.
    At IUP...we strive to be #1 in all that we do.

Comment

That was well-earned by decades of debauchery. Lol.

As of today, however, that is a joke. IUP is dead today. If you drive through campus at night and didn't know better, you'd have no idea you were on a college campus.

The IUP of that distinction died a long time ago. It's pretty chill now.

Comment

Originally posted by BADinPA View Post
        As the struggle continues for IUP in pursuit of a football or basketball division 2 national championship, the Wall Street Journal has reported that IUP is now famous. Not just for me graduating from there but apparently my alma mater is now considered to be the #1 party school… not just Pennsylvania… the whole USA. What a sad distinction. 1 Through 4:
        Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus 1
        Texas Christian University 2
        Birmingham-Southern College 3
        James Madison University 4
        That's outstanding.

Comment

I guess people think drinking IC Light in the basement of sone stinky frat house is the pinnacle of party life…

Comment

"From January to May, College Pulse and the The Wall Street Journal surveyed over 60,000 students and recent graduates about their learning experiences, career preparation and other aspects of their college life. While the survey focused on education and students’ prospects for postgraduation success, one question that didn’t factor into the overall ranking asked students to rate their satisfaction with their college’s party scene on a scale of 1 to 5. A score of 1 represented the highest level of satisfaction and 5 the lowest."

How big could their sample size have been for IUP?

Comment

Well, I guess IUP has come to the attention of the Murdoch media empire, which I don't imagine is all that familiar with PASSHE.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

As of today, however, that is a joke. IUP is dead today. If you drive through campus at night and didn't know better, you'd have no idea you were on a college campus.

100%. I’ve lived near or in this town for most of my life and was a student back when there were 12-15k students. It’s not nearly the same. If this is the #1 party school, the college experience has gotten very, very boring. No wonder nobody wants to go anymore :).

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

100%. I’ve lived near or in this town for most of my life and was a student back when there were 12-15k students. It’s not nearly the same. If this is the #1 party school, the college experience has gotten very, very boring. No wonder nobody wants to go anymore :).
                  From lots of friends working at different colleges, if the school went remote during 2020, it killed the party culture. If they didn't go remote, its pretty close to as usual.

Also, these kids just keep getting worse at social interaction so they're so less likely to be searching for parties and in person human connection because they can't pry themselves away from devices. Then they get depression from the lack of human interaction. What a world.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not a chance IUP is even in the top 100 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

From lots of friends working at different colleges, if the school went remote during 2020, it killed the party culture. If they didn't go remote, its pretty close to as usual.

Also, these kids just keep getting worse at social interaction so they're so less likely to be searching for parties and in person human connection because they can't pry themselves away from devices. Then they get depression from the lack of human interaction. What a world.
                      I don’t disagree with what you’re saying about the impact of COVID, but will add that it was already in decline here. Perhaps going remote was the coup de gras.

Comment

Covid killed every colleges party scene. Clarion didn't really have one, but now its absolutely dead. There aren't any frats that want to create a party scene, the "frats" that do exist are like 6 nerds who don't have a house and just live on campus. Last year we had a group of guys with a house who named themselves "Fake Frat" because they weren't a real chapter of anything and they tried their best to throw massive parties like the campus needs but stopped cause of the cops shutting it down every time. Sports teams with houses throw parties and they are usually alright. People wont go to the football house anymore because of all the sexual assault rumors going around. Every holiday the parties start bumpin and they get shut down. Out of all the bars in town, only 2 are directed at the college students, and one of them made a switch to locals this year, so now there's 1 bar in town for students and like 5 for locals. Most students go home every weekend cause its boring and they can go to bars in Pittsburgh. Clarion was classified as a "Suitcase University" because studies showed that most students aim to put their classes between Tuesday and Thursday so they could have Monday or Friday + the weekend to go home.

Schools like Clarion need parties and frats and bars because what else is there to do? Moving everything online is killing the school AND the town. Again, I bet in 10 years my alma mater wont exist.

Comment

Well, what you are talking about is going to get much worse very fast. Technology is really destroying our humanity, just like the sci-fi novels portended.

We are seeing so much about AI now because it's at the stage of development where it's being brought to market. If you said this stuff a few years ago you would sound like a nut but the reality is that it's starting to control our lives.

Comment

I do think it’s worth wondering how big of a party culture some of our schools had pre-COVID. I can imagine that most BU students in my time would have made their average weekend sound like Project X (or Animal House for you elderly folks) but it’s worth remembering that young people are prone to exaggeration. In every guy’s mind he and his friends are the coolest squad in the world and their Saturday night of crushing beers and passing out at midnight without getting any action will inevitably get blown out of proportion. Have things really changed so much?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

I do think it’s worth wondering how big of a party culture some of our schools had pre-COVID. I can imagine that most BU students in my time would have made their average weekend sound like Project X (or Animal House for you elderly folks) but it’s worth remembering that young people are prone to exaggeration. In every guy’s mind he and his friends are the coolest squad in the world and their Saturday night of crushing beers and passing out at midnight without getting any action will inevitably get blown out of proportion. Have things really changed so much?
                              I experienced IUP in its true party heyday and it was pretty wild back then. It was obviously a totally different school then than it is today. IUP earned its rep. Put it that way.

In that era (mid 90s to early 00s) I'd say IUP and Edinboro had the best party scene (with Clarion in third). Clarion actually had some hot college bars back then.

Cal was completely dead on weekends. SRU only had one bar and it was 7 miles or so away (and had that oh so perfect mix of college drunks and Butler County locals). Rock was more of a house/basement party scene back then.

Gannon was always a fun night until you had to walk home (praying you weren't mugged or shot).

Can't comment on the East schools as I never spent much time at any of them.

​​​​Project X ... very underrated film.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X