Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Season Coaching Carousel

Typically 20-30 head coaching changes each off season in D2.

Current Openings that could affect PSAC:

West Chester
    Lake Erie
    UVA-Wise

Ohio Northern (D3)

Currently no FCS jobs open that could affect PSAC. Haven't heard of any PSAC coordinators leaving just yet either.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Typically 20-30 head coaching changes each off season in D2.

Current Openings that could affect PSAC:

West Chester
    Lake Erie
    UVA-Wise

Ohio Northern (D3)

Currently no FCS jobs open that could affect PSAC. Haven't heard of any PSAC coordinators leaving just yet either.

It's coming. Many D1 regular seasons end this weekend. The trickle-down eventually hits us down here in the bush leagues.

That said, I would say the non-playing (at this date) PSAC coaches are safe. They'd have been canned by now if they were being let go.

I suspect Clements will be a hot commodity.

All of that said, while I don't see any PSAC coaches getting fired at this point, that's surely not to say one (or more) will chase the West Chester job. From there, you could start to see the dominos start moving.

I think there's only a small handful of actual PSAC coaches who would be candidates to move up a level. Clements and Lutz would probably be the two who come to mind. Jimmy T. could be a candidate. He's the right age and is coming off a pretty good program flip. Tort is too old. Same with Dunn and McCook.

Jake Nulph is the interesting one. He's not a candidate to move up, but, he'll certainly be a candidate for some of the better PSAC jobs (when they open). Anybody who actually pays attention to the landscape knows he's doing a solid job in a very tough situation.

I would guess Tort and Dunn probably go another 5-6 years before they retire but neither is looking to move at this age.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's coming. Many D1 regular seasons end this weekend. The trickle-down eventually hits us down here in the bush leagues.

That said, I would say the non-playing (at this date) PSAC coaches are safe. They'd have been canned by now if they were being let go.

All of that said, while I don't see any PSAC coaches getting fired at this point, that's surely not to say one (or more) will chase the West Chester job. From there, you could start to see the dominos start moving.

I think there's only a small handful of actual PSAC coaches who would be candidates to move up a level. Clements and Lutz would probably be the two who come to mind. Jimmy T. could be a candidate. He's the right age and is coming off a pretty good program flip. Tort is too old. Same with Dunn and McCook.

Jake Nulph is the interesting one. He's not a candidate to move up, but, he'll certainly be a candidate for some of the better PSAC jobs (when they open). Anybody who actually pays attention to the landscape knows he's doing a solid job in a very tough situation.

I would guess Tort and Dunn probably go another 5-6 years before they retire but neither is looking to move at this age.
      McCook is 52 or 53, Gary Dunn I'd say is around early 50's as well. Tort is early 60's right? Is early 50's too old now?

McCook seems entrenched in the area and still has 2 daughters going to school at Shepherd too. I'd say that is more the reason he wouldn't look to move on, rather than age.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

McCook is 52 or 53, Gary Dunn I'd say is around early 50's as well. Tort is early 60's right? Is early 50's too old now?

McCook seems entrenched in the area and still has 2 daughters going to school at Shepherd too. I'd say that is more the reason he wouldn't look to move on, rather than age.
        Some coaches are very satisfied with being the big fish in a smaller pond. If you don't slip too badly there is a measure of job security not found at the bigger venues.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Outright fired in the PSAC doesn't happy much anymore because of the cost. The union contract is pretty strong and means without proven misconduct (an HR termination) that contract has to be paid out. Initial contracts are 3 or 4 years and can be renewed 1 or 2 years at a time. If a coach is "fired" their contract is just left to expire and everyone knows its coming or at the very least possible. If they say otherwise, they're posturing. If I have a 4 year contract that hasn't been renewed yet at the conclusion of my fourth season, its probably not going to be. The school pays out through the end (usually through July 1) then searches for another coach and hopes for a different outcome.

I've shared before, the "buyout" cost is the full remaining salary plus the full monetary value of unused PTO, sick time, retirement match, and benefits contribution. Back in 2015 buying out 2 years on a $92k salary (now the lowest in the conference) cost over $400k. With our current situation, that ain't happening and there isn't a sugar daddy to foot the bill like A&M.

Comment

Now has to be the offseason Clements goes to a new program. He took a KU team that didn't have high expectations coming into the season all the way to the Final 4. He turned KU into a regular division contender. I would be shocked if someone didn't offer him a chance at the next level. I imagine he might stay regional but I don't see any FCS programs left (outside of Holy Cross and Stony Brook) that he could go to. Unless he stays d2 but goes to a stronger football conference. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TDBoi8136 View Post
              Now has to be the offseason Clements goes to a new program. He took a KU team that didn't have high expectations coming into the season all the way to the Final 4. He turned KU into a regular division contender. I would be shocked if someone didn't offer him a chance at the next level. I imagine he might stay regional but I don't see any FCS programs left (outside of Holy Cross and Stony Brook) that he could go to. Unless he stays d2 but goes to a stronger football conference. Thoughts?
              I think he at least kicks the tires on the opportunity down in Chester County. Its a shorter commute.

Comment

I think he at least kicks the tires on the opportunity down in Chester County. Its a shorter commute.
                I take it you know he lives closer to that campus? I bet that Novak kid might just trot down there with him as a package deal.

Comment

Tiffin's coach resigns; going to FCS Gardner Webb to be head coach .

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I take it you know he lives closer to that campus? I bet that Novak kid might just trot down there with him as a package deal.
                    Yeah his bio says he lives in a town in Montgomery County, about an hour drive to Kutztown but roughly half that to West Chester.

Comment

Yeah his bio says he lives in a town in Montgomery County, about an hour drive to Kutztown but roughly half that to West Chester.
                      I don't know. Program-wise, WCU would be a downgrade. Granted, it seems like it could explode quickly with the right HC. He's hot right now. Going to another D2 would just seem lateral.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
                        Tiffin's coach resigns; going to FCS Gardner Webb to be head coach .
                        Tiffin has a ton coming back next year. Of course, he may take his stars with him (probably).

Comment

This is a very interesting line of posts. Keep it coming.

On another note…how can one access the D2 transfer portal to see what is happening there?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramparsons View Post
                            This is a very interesting line of posts. Keep it coming.

On another note…how can one access the D2 transfer portal to see what is happening there?
                            You cannot. It's not available to the public. Most info we find comes from social media posts or contacts within the programs.

Comment

He lives in Trappe. That's between Norristown and Pottstown...and next door to Collegeville. So it's more to the western side of Montgomery County.

Yeah...he could get to West Chester trekking down 422 to 202 in the traffic but really Kutztown isn't a rough ride. Kutztown is 2 miles further away than West Chester from Trappe. He would encounter less traffic heading to Kutztown.....and he doesn't have to even go near Reading to get there...once you get past Pottstown on 422 there is a cut off that takes you up through Oley and Fleetwood that dumps you off on 222 just before Kutztown.

So I'd say it's a wash based on that but if Walk On U dips into it's "slush funds" to pay him a lot more than they will do the talking.

I don't see why he would leave Kutztown to go to West Chester...he's already got something in place there that is his doing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X