Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I thought it was like 2012…didnt seem that long ago.
    No, Bart was right. Bloomsburg has played JMU only twice, losing 48-3 in 1989 and 14-3 in 2006. That was a pretty impressive performance by Bloomsburg in 2006 as JMU was a 9-3 FCS playoff team that year and beat many of its FCS opponents handily. JMU lost by only four points to a ranked Youngstown State team in its FCS playoff game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

No, Bart was right. Bloomsburg has played JMU only twice, losing 48-3 in 1989 and 14-3 in 2006. That was a pretty impressive performance by Bloomsburg in 2006 as JMU was a 9-3 FCS playoff team that year and beat many of its FCS opponents handily. JMU lost by only four points to a ranked Youngstown State team in its FCS playoff game.
      Bloom had a great team that year. They beat Shepherd at Shepherd 24-21 on a score with a couple mins to go. You could argue they got screwed and should have hosted the game, but Shepherd ended up being 11-0 against Bloomsburg's 10-0 (10-1 with the JMU loss).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Not the correct thread but regardless, the Pittsburg State HC has accepted the same job at Northern Arizona.
        Northern Arizona is a D1-FCS program, so it's the right thread.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Most don't remember at this point that Clarion went almost 30 years without a losing record. Some of those teams in the 90's were really good. In 96, Clarion beat a really good Ferris State team in the quarter final before taking on Northern Colorado at home. The final score was actually 19-18 and most probably wouldn't remember but Clarion lined up for a 19 yard field goal with 3 seconds left for the win. Kickers plant foot came out from under him on a muddy Memorial stadium and the ball never got off the ground. Northern went on to beat Carson-Newman for the NC the next week. I honestly believe that was the year that SR1 would have and should have gotten the National championship. Clarion was an absolute unit.
          I remember going to Clarion for a playoff game in 1996. It was my first year in the band at BU. I don't recall the score but I remember how tore up the field was. 20 to 20 and hash to hash was terrible. And it was COLD. The field was like trying to march on rocks.
          GO HUSKIES!

Comment

Originally posted by CC_BU View Post

I remember going to Clarion for a playoff game in 1996. It was my first year in the band at BU. I don't recall the score but I remember how tore up the field was. 20 to 20 and hash to hash was terrible. And it was COLD. The field was like trying to march on rocks.
            Clarion in the late 90s was a good time. That was a fun college town back then. Good nightlife, bars, etc. Of course, it had double the enrollment back then (if not more).

I hear you on the temperature. I've been to some miserable games up there.

Comment

Clarion 42, Bloomsburg 29 Sigler was named 1996 PSAC Offensive Player of the Year

Comment

I really miss how grass fields gave each of our stadiums some unique character. Clarion's field didn't hold water very well so it had a very steep crown to it. And yes it would get muddy.

Clarion was indeed a fun place. Once the glass plant next to campus closed, things in town started going downhill. The development out by 80 had the typical effect too. My fraternity had 3-4 meetings each year at other campuses, so I had GREAT times being an idiot visitor at Clarion, IUP, Penn State, and Susquehanna. Youngstown was equal parts crazy and scary. I did a pretty good job of not getting arrested those years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Clarion 42, Bloomsburg 29 Sigler was named 1996 PSAC Offensive Player of the Year
                  That was only Coach Hale's 4th year at Bloom. It goes to show how quickly he was able to elevate the program.
                  GO HUSKIES!

Comment

And our qb was Glen McNamee. Still head coach at Central Dauphin. He won a state title not too long ago
                    GO HUSKIES!

Comment

That was only Coach Hale's 4th year at Bloom. It goes to show how quickly he was able to elevate the program.
                      That’s great! Lots of respect to coach Hale. I did have some encounters with him and he’s a good man.

Comment

It’s not a talent issue between the regions, it’s geography, plain and simple. More choices vs Less choices…

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

In the same era Clarion took #8 ranked FCS Youngstown state down to the wire in 2002. Final score ended up 27-14 I believe but Clarion had YSU on the ropes. CU fumbled inside the YSU 10yd line going in for a score early in the game, then had two other drives where they turned it over on downs in the redzone and also missed a short field goal. Those YSU teams were no joke either. Coincidently that was the last time Clarion won (a share at least) of the PSAC West. The last 21 years have gone, not so well lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I really miss how grass fields gave each of our stadiums some unique character. Clarion's field didn't hold water very well so it had a very steep crown to it. And yes it would get muddy.

Clarion was indeed a fun place. Once the glass plant next to campus closed, things in town started going downhill. The development out by 80 had the typical effect too. My fraternity had 3-4 meetings each year at other campuses, so I had GREAT times being an idiot visitor at Clarion, IUP, Penn State, and Susquehanna. Youngstown was equal parts crazy and scary. I did a pretty good job of not getting arrested those years.
                            That old grass field had the highest crown i've ever seen on a football field. When you were standing on sidelines looking across the field you could only see from the waste up of the opposing team...yet somehow it still managed to hold water lol.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X