Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Unfortunately many schools are doing their best to force some tough upcoming decisions. If not, several are going to essentially be on welfare.
    Sure, but how will that help SR1 compete on a national level? Cal probably already had first pick of the players who ended up at Edinboro and Clarion. If there are a few players from those two schools who can start at Cal, so what? Cal can then be more competitive in SR1 or win the PSAC. When Mansfield dropped football, nobody benefited.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Sure, but how will that help SR1 compete on a national level? Cal probably already had first pick of the players who ended up at Edinboro and Clarion. If there are a few players from those two schools who can start at Cal, so what? Cal can then be more competitive in SR1 or win the PSAC. When Mansfield dropped football, nobody benefited.
      This got off track but it all goes back to my comment yesterday. More money. IUP, Cal, SRU, Shepherd ... they don't have enough.

The difference in depth and impact players from 23 to 36 equivalencies is freaking massive. Until the best programs we have can get much closer to 36 ...nothing will change.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        After I went against the grain of the board last week and said that I think the difference between the PSAC (SR1) and the top D2 teams could be narrowing, I feel partially vindicated by KU's performance. I believe it's true. Of course, things can easily start to go the other way.

Yes, you have Harding and Colorado Mines in the finals. However, if you look at how those two teams blew out their own in-conference competition the non-competitive SR1 mantra becomes less clear. If KU had not fumbled on Mines' 4 yd. line early in the 4th qtr. the score would have been 28-14 in the 4th. That was after Mines jumped out to an early 14-0 advantage (BTW, I did not watch the game). In-conference, Mines blew out the 2nd and 3rd place teams by 35 and 41 points, respectively. As for Harding, there was a 3-way tie for 2nd in their conference. Yes, they only beat Henderson State by 11 but they beat Quachita Baptist by 31 and Southern Arkansas by 34. Those were the next-best teams in their conference. So, while it seems like there are always a couple of D2 teams that are heads above the rest nationally, I think the top programs in the PSAC ( I consider IUP, SRU, Shepherd, Kutztown, and maybe Cal) to have a chance at being competitive in the semis. although SR1 is probably going to play the #1 seed in the semifinal game.

Every few years there is a turnover of the top D2 teams. Just a few years ago, it was not Mines and Harding. I do think the transfer portal can benefit the top PSAC teams. Ironically, as geography hurts PSAC teams with respect to top D2 teams from other regions, I think the portal situation helps the PSAC teams and it is partly due to a more desirable location for a lot of D2 candidates who enter the portal.
        The best PSAC team of my lifetime was Cal in 2007. They were knocking on the door against Valdosta and could have won that game. I would say that the 2nd best team was the 2017 IUP team that lost to West Florida. I know everyone talks about losing Max Redfield against Assumption the week before. IUP still was never even in position to win that game. Never once even threatened. If Cal was the exception in 2007 of the one PSAC team who came dangerously close, IUP in the 2017 is the reality of those "great" PSAC teams that reach that game. A game that the final score shows a respectable football game, but also one in which the fans in attendance knew that the losing side never really stood a chance.

I think that's the reality.

The problem with the transfer portal, new transfer rules, etc. is that it doesn't actually help D2 programs (not the ones in the PSAC at least), it hurts them. Our best players are going to get poached and the right factors don't exist to always get the best guys dropping down. Joe Lombardi has spoken about this on the basketball side of recruiting. The potential to get an elite transfer at this level dropping down from D1 is likely now gone, or lesser than ever before. Players dropped down to D2 because they never had to sit out a year and could play immediately. Now that they don't have to do that at the D1 level anymore you aren't getting those uber talented guys falling into your lap like you did previously. Slippery Rock, from what I've seen, has been active in the transfer industry since the season has ended. Are they actually getting guys who are going to put them over the top in a game against Colorado Mines or Harding? Or are they just getting guys who probably should have been playing in the PSAC all along? I think the latter is more likely.

The schools in the Midwest and Upper Midwest who have traditionally dominated D2 football will still benefit likely. Simply given the lack of FBS schools in those areas, and fewer numbers of FCS and D2 programs, you'll have players transferring from Missouri to Northwest Missouri State simply because they want to stay in-state to play college football.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The best PSAC team of my lifetime was Cal in 2007. They were knocking on the door against Valdosta and could have won that game. I would say that the 2nd best team was the 2017 IUP team that lost to West Florida. I know everyone talks about losing Max Redfield against Assumption the week before. IUP still was never even in position to win that game. Never once even threatened. If Cal was the exception in 2007 of the one PSAC team who came dangerously close, IUP in the 2017 is the reality of those "great" PSAC teams that reach that game. A game that the final score shows a respectable football game, but also one in which the fans in attendance knew that the losing side never really stood a chance.

I think that's the reality.

The problem with the transfer portal, new transfer rules, etc. is that it doesn't actually help D2 programs (not the ones in the PSAC at least), it hurts them. Our best players are going to get poached and the right factors don't exist to always get the best guys dropping down. Joe Lombardi has spoken about this on the basketball side of recruiting. The potential to get an elite transfer at this level dropping down from D1 is likely now gone, or lesser than ever before. Players dropped down to D2 because they never had to sit out a year and could play immediately. Now that they don't have to do that at the D1 level anymore you aren't getting those uber talented guys falling into your lap like you did previously. Slippery Rock, from what I've seen, has been active in the transfer industry since the season has ended. Are they actually getting guys who are going to put them over the top in a game against Colorado Mines or Harding? Or are they just getting guys who probably should have been playing in the PSAC all along? I think the latter is more likely.

The schools in the Midwest and Upper Midwest who have traditionally dominated D2 football will still benefit likely. Simply given the lack of FBS schools in those areas, and fewer numbers of FCS and D2 programs, you'll have players transferring from Missouri to Northwest Missouri State simply because they want to stay in-state to play college football.
          Yep. Cal was VERY close. I believe Armenti found enough money to divert to football that got them up around 35 schollies taking every second and third chance kid and doing his best to have them hide in the Vulcan Apartments so they didn't get arrested in town or at the local mall. I actually think their best team was the 2005 team.

That IUP semifinal game in 2017 was crazy. The West Florida QB was making throws like the ball was on a remote control.

Comment

I can’t decide if the 91 or 93 IUP team was the best Pee Sack squad of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              I can’t decide if the 91 or 93 IUP team was the best Pee Sack squad of all time.
              Good idea for a new thread!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Good idea for a new thread!
                How many time has East Dennyburg been ranked #1 in the nation..IUP 91…or gone to a National Title game..IUP 93. But you keep celebrating that 2005 Regional title. When is the next parade for that?

Comment

I’m going with 93 because they were literally a few yards and a few seconds from winning it all. If that game was played at a neutral site I believe IUP would have won. What were the odds of the title game being played on one of the finalist’s home field? To me you had to have participated in the national championship game to be considered “close” to winning it. The IUP 91 team was a juggernaut, but just missed making the title game. No offense to Cal but they never made the title game in the early 2000’s.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I’m going with 93 because they were literally a few yards and a few seconds from winning it all. If that game was played at a neutral site I believe IUP would have won. What were the odds of the title game being played on one of the finalist’s home field? To me you had to have participated in the national championship game to be considered “close” to winning it. The IUP 91 team was a juggernaut, but just missed making the title game. No offense to Cal but they never made the title game in the early 2000’s.
                    I was at the '93 Final. Still makes me sick.

I wasn't a student then but remember IUP actually had a couple student buses make the trip. Imagine that today? Lol.

Comment

I was at the '93 Final. Still makes me sick.

I wasn't a student then but remember IUP actually had a couple student buses make the trip. Imagine that today? Lol.
                      I would bet that they would have sizeable interest for a very, very large contingent. And then I imagine that 1 bus would get sent, with a waiting list filled for another 5-7 buses. The school would then cite their contractual obligations to the busing contractor they utilize, an inability to have drivers on standby, union contracts, and funds needed to reserve a bus they were not sure they would have the signatures/students for.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

It’s a very interesting debate between ‘91 and ‘93. I probably also give ‘93 a slight edge because the team IUP lost to in ‘91 didn’t go on to win the title. We’ll never know what might’ve happened had IUP got to play that semifinal at home like the ‘93 team did. But the ‘93 team did beat a New Haven team on the road in the regional final that was probably the 3rd best team in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

It’s a very interesting debate between ‘91 and ‘93. I probably also give ‘93 a slight edge because the team IUP lost to in ‘91 didn’t go on to win the title. We’ll never know what might’ve happened had IUP got to play that semifinal at home like the ‘93 team did. But the ‘93 team did beat a New Haven team on the road in the regional final that was probably the 3rd best team in the country.
                          Either of those teams would have beat Tort's 2017 team by 21+

Comment

Either of those teams would have beat Tort's 2017 team by 21+
                            I would add that the ‘90 team gets overlooked somewhat because of how badly the NC game went, but outside of the 2 losses to NDSU and 2 classic wins over Edinboro, who had a fantastic team, that team smashed everybody else they played.

Comment

Flexbone = Gimmick offense.
                              Harding could have run an I-formation or straight T and pounded L-R. Their lines were much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Harding could have run an I-formation or straight T and pounded L-R. Their lines were much better.
                                Then why don't they...I hate gimmick offenses.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X