Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Semifinals

The field appears to be set based on the participating teams’ websites.

4 Kutztown @ 1 Colorado Mines
    3 Lenoir-Rhyne @ 2 Harding

I mean no disrespect when I say this but this is a very good final four with the exception of the Golden Bears. Three of these teams have a legitimate chance to win it all based on what I’ve seen by watching games. The $20 was worth it for being able to watch multiple games and take a close look. After Colorado Mines beat Grand Valley State to start the year, they were more or less the odds on favorite to win it all along with Ferris State at the time. Now I’m not so sure it’s a given. I see ways they can be beaten, although it won’t be this Saturday.

​​​​​Kutztown at Colorado Mines

This will be a blowout unless there’s a wild weather event that evens the field. I’m talking a foot of snow at kickoff. Mines has way more starting talent, is deeper, is playing at home, and is battle tested. Although Kutztown is obviously on a roll in terms of their winning streak, they haven’t been all that impressive despite pulling out wins. Meanwhile, Mines has dismantled both of its playoff opponents in Augustana and Central Washington. For comparisons sake, both teams Mines pounded would win SR1. I wish there was a realistic scenario where Kutztown could make it a four quarter game, but there just isn’t one. This is likely to be worse than last year’s 31 point win over Shepherd. There’s not much more to say about this matchup. Sorry Bears fans.

​​​​​Lenoir-Rhyne at Harding

This is a fascinating matchup. Harding is one of the more interesting teams in the field. They probably have the best defense in DII. They’re fast, physical, and dominant up front. They have four shutouts and held two other teams to one score. To hold GVSU without a touchdown is insane, and on top of that, I think the Lakers only got into the red zone once! GVSU came into the game yesterday averaging 48 points per game! You’d have to go way back to find the last time they were held without a touchdown. The big question for the Bisons (why isn’t it Bison?) is can they score enough points?

Harding runs the old school Wing T offense, very similar to what you’ll see in the Army/Navy game next weekend. Older IUP fans will remember North Alabama in the championship game in 93. They’re a ground and pound team and are happy with 3 yard gains. Their QB was probably the weakest passer in the entire playoff field, but they don’t need him to be Tyson Bagent. He runs the offense like a machine, is tough, and can hit a big pass here and there if you’re caught sleeping. GVSU hung in there all day against it, but eventually the dam broke. I don’t think Lenoir-Rhyne is bringing the same type of defense to town so I do expect Harding to score more.

Lenoir-Rhyne is just an excellent all-around team. To go down and pound Valdosta State on their turf yesterday was impressive and surprising. They’re playing their best football at the right time and have enough talent on both sides of the ball to beat anyone. They’re going to have to hold Harding to under 20 points to have any chance though, and I’m not sure they can do it. Heck, the way Harding is playing defense, LR might need to hold them to under 10.

I’m going to give the edge to Harding in this one. Defense wins championships and they’re incredible on that side of the ball.

When was the last time there were two privates in the semis?

The last private to win a D2 championship was Mississippi College in 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      When was the last time there were two privates in the semis?

The last private to win a D2 championship was Mississippi College in 1989.
      1997 there were two (Carson-Newman and New Haven), but not sure if that’s the most recent.

Comment

Kutztown's game at Colorado School of Mines will start at 3:30 PM ET (1:30 PM MT) on Saturday 12/9 and be broadcast on ESPN+.

(The Lenoir-Rhyne/Harding semifinal will be the first game, starting at 12 PM ET on Saturday 12/9; it will also be streamed on ESPN+.)

Comment

Central Washington plays a style similar to Kutztown, but all of Mines’ weapons wore the CWU defense down in the second half. CWU couldn’t run the ball at all (they run the ball fairly well) and that killed them. If KU can’t keep the ball away from the Mines offense, it will be ugly quickly.

Maybe Harding has what it takes to beat Mines, but the Mines rushing defense is outstanding.

Comment

Kutztown is certainly a huge underdog, but there is a reason they play the games. Remember Appalachian State over Michigan, Stanford ( 41 point dogs) over USC, so nothing is a certainty

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
              Kutztown is certainly a huge underdog, but there is a reason they play the games. Remember Appalachian State over Michigan, Stanford ( 41 point dogs) over USC, so nothing is a certainty
              Book it. They have absolutely zero chance in this game. Keeping it a competitive game for a half would be great, and keeping it within reach for four quarters would be an upset in itself. That’s not an indictment on a very good Kutztown team. They are the best team in SR1 and beat Slippery Rock in back-to-back games. They’re a gritty team that’s fun to watch and they’ve earned their way to this spot. They’re just entering a different stratosphere on Saturday.

Of course theoretically anything is possible, but a Kutztown win is less likely than the Miracle on Ice was.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Of course theoretically anything is possible, but a Kutztown win is less likely than the Miracle on Ice was.
                Sure, it comes down to this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F95%2Fe6%2F7b%2F95e67b35ad67aa897fb2a362383eb56b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=521297c709282d052a5b642e4035f77723c7ed14ea77f14215d1380921399908&ipo=images.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	802930

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Sure, it comes down to this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F95%2Fe6%2F7b%2F95e67b35ad67aa897fb2a362383eb56b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=521297c709282d052a5b642e4035f77723c7ed14ea77f14215d1380921399908&ipo=images.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	802930
                  Kick his ass, SeaBass

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Book it. They have absolutely zero chance in this game. Keeping it a competitive game for a half would be great, and keeping it within reach for four quarters would be an upset in itself. That’s not an indictment on a very good Kutztown team. They are the best team in SR1 and beat Slippery Rock in back-to-back games. They’re a gritty team that’s fun to watch and they’ve earned their way to this spot. They’re just entering a different stratosphere on Saturday.

Mines' QB is like Houdini.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Kick his ass, SeaBass
                      One of the best lines in the history of modern cinema!

Comment

Kutztown can make this game competitive, but a lot has to go right. I do think they are better equipped than Shepherd has been the last 2 years to put forth a performance that will keep the game close.

Bears offense is balanced and they lean on the run game, they need to shorten the game and absolutely pound the rock at Mines defense. Don't stop and take what they give you to convert 1st downs.

If the Bears commit a turnover or 2, they will lose by 30+, can't afford any given the talent discrepancy we are going to see.

Make Mines earn each point on sustained drives. They are used to scoring in bunches and QUICKLY. Do not play Shepherd's coverage of "bite on any play fake or double move" and play your coverages and TACKLE. Mines is going to make catches, but you can't blow coverages and allow long touchdown plays. Tackle and live to fight the next play.

Run the ball, work the clock and limit big plays. Bears will have a punchers chance if they can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                          Kutztown can make this game competitive, but a lot has to go right. I do think they are better equipped than Shepherd has been the last 2 years to put forth a performance that will keep the game close.

Bears offense is balanced and they lean on the run game, they need to shorten the game and absolutely pound the rock at Mines defense. Don't stop and take what they give you to convert 1st downs.

If the Bears commit a turnover or 2, they will lose by 30+, can't afford any given the talent discrepancy we are going to see.

Make Mines earn each point on sustained drives. They are used to scoring in bunches and QUICKLY. Do not play Shepherd's coverage of "bite on any play fake or double move" and play your coverages and TACKLE. Mines is going to make catches, but you can't blow coverages and allow long touchdown plays. Tackle and live to fight the next play.

Run the ball, work the clock and limit big plays. Bears will have a punchers chance if they can do that.
                          They can do OK if their offense clicks. It has strangely disappeared at times this season, but they usually have gotten it together for the big games. This is a team that lost two games early and after knocking off Shepherd and East Stroud scored just 24, 9, 7, and 17 points against Bloomsburg, Shippensburg, Lock Haven and Millersville teams that all had losing records. It's amazing to me that they've won the region and it's a testament to the their grit, but they're going to have to take it to another level to get close to Mines.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Mines' QB is like Houdini.
                            Good skill for a miner

Comment

The Eleanor Whines/ Harding game is going to be a 15 round brawl.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X