Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely right. And this is not a wrestling-only issue, lots of the smaller sports are dominated in smaller classifications at the state level by private schools, because they have so many resources available to them if they choose to focus on a particular sport. Faith Christian is the classic example.

Everyone recognizes this as an issue, but I feel like people don't think there's anything to be done, as long as PIAA is gutless in their approach.

Comment

Public schools have been combining for years, partly in order to produce better sports teams. In the area I grew up in, three public high schools combined into one 35 years ago. The result was the loss of local rivalries and pride, and 4,000 students participating in 26 sports, as well as the closing of a private high school. In a way, it was recruiting by eliminating local competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
        Public schools have been combining for years, partly in order to produce better sports teams. In the area I grew up in, three public high schools combined into one 35 years ago. The result was the loss of local rivalries and pride, and 4,000 students participating in 26 sports, as well as the closing of a private high school. In a way, it was recruiting by eliminating local competition.
        That's an interesting angle. Typically school districts would combine purely for financial reasons. A great example in Pittsburgh was the creation of Woodland Hills.

I'd guess the enormous number of small schools is going to continue to decrease. Other than town pride, etc., there is no reason, financially, for many of them to exist.

Around here, tiny Saltsburg joined up with Blairsville to become River Valley. They are now cruising in athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's an interesting angle. Typically school districts would combine purely for financial reasons. A great example in Pittsburgh was the creation of Woodland Hills.

I'd guess the enormous number of small schools is going to continue to decrease. Other than town pride, etc., there is no reason, financially, for many of them to exist.

Around here, tiny Saltsburg joined up with Blairsville to become River Valley. They are now cruising in athletics.
          Could be true, but closing 3 schools to build a $120 million dollar mega-school is not exactly financially frugal.

Comment

Could be true, but closing 3 schools to build a $120 million dollar mega-school is not exactly financially frugal.
            Valid, especially not in the early years. But, long-term it could be a better result. Of course, you are also cutting a lot of jobs in the process (you don't need three superintendents, principals, football coaches, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Valid, especially not in the early years. But, long-term it could be a better result. Of course, you are also cutting a lot of jobs in the process (you don't need three superintendents, principals, football coaches, etc.)
              Yes, of course. On the other side, the larger the school, the higher the salaries. The savings of combining 3 principals into 1 may not be that great. Also, local high schools give the community more control on salaries and hiring practices. In my example, transportation costs rise as students are bused over 8 miles to a school , when they were able to walk to their local schools. Perhaps after raising taxes for a 30 year $120 million dollar loan, taxes will go down for the next generation. Nah.

Comment

But in the future you were looking at three new buildings....

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

But in the future you were looking at three new buildings....
                  All three school buildings are still in use by others. We may see if Commonwealth University can have more athletic success if they combine the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post

If I may ask, what schools merged to form central mountain and when did they merge?

Just wondering I love hearing about historical schools in pa.
                    If you love convoluted school histories, you should look at Lewistown and its surrounding areas. It was four high schools back in the early '70s before going through a whole series of changes to get to what is Mifflin County High School today. (Home of the wrestling Hidlays.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewist...ea_High_School

Comment

Let me get this right. You are complaining about Catholic/Private school recruiting in HS wrestling, when the 2 biggest cases of recruiting in HS wrestling were 2 public schools Canon Mac and Franklin Regional?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                        Let me get this right. You are complaining about Catholic/Private school recruiting in HS wrestling, when the 2 biggest cases of recruiting in HS wrestling were 2 public schools Canon Mac and Franklin Regional?
                        1. Most of the conversation is focused on the smaller classification.
                        2. At this point, Bethlehem Catholic has won more AAA titles since 2000 than Canon Mac and Franklin Regional combined. Maybe if those two schools were still relevant, they would be a greater part of this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                          The religious/private schools recruit, by definition. I wasn't complaining about that I was saying it is not a level playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The religious/private schools recruit, by definition. I wasn't complaining about that I was saying it is not a level playing field.
                            Thanks for bringing it back around because the conversation of public versus private always ends up off the rails and the intent of the original post gets lost.

I don’t know how anyone could argue with a straight face that it’s fair for public schools to have to compete for championships with schools that can bring kids in from anywhere. As you pointed out, it’s apples to oranges. Let them play during the regular season. Separate the championships.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Thanks for bringing it back around because the conversation of public versus private always ends up off the rails and the intent of the original post gets lost.

I don’t know how anyone could argue with a straight face that it’s fair for public schools to have to compete for championships with schools that can bring kids in from anywhere. As you pointed out, it’s apples to oranges. Let them play during the regular season. Separate the championships.
                              But which side gets to claim to be the best in the state? The public or the private?

Because one side is going to claim it and piss the other one off…

It would be like the Pee Sack having two State Games for the Haves and the Have Nots.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

But which side gets to claim to be the best in the state? The public or the private?

Because one side is going to claim it and piss the other one off…

It would be like the Pee Sack having two State Games for the Haves and the Have Nots.
                                I think there can be the best public school and the best private school. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

The PSAC comparison doesn’t apply. The schools can all, should they decide to, recruit the entire country and fill their full scholarship slots. Some schools decide to focus resources and effort on sports that aren’t football or basketball. Public high schools get the kids that live in the district. That’s it. They don’t have the opportunity to say, “We’re weak at point guard next season so let’s go shopping.”

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X