Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Well, they would be called the PIAA champions for whichever level they won.

1) There are already multiple state champions because there are multiple levels so, in my opinion, your point is moot.
    2) Public and private operate on two sets of rules.
    3) The results reflect the reality of the situation. The results don't lie.
    I don’t like exclusion. That’s my problem. I don’t think excluding others so one group can benefit just sounds too Republican to me.

The PIAA can have public and private tournaments and crown them champions of those tournaments but nobody can claim to be the only champion.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I don’t like exclusion. That’s my problem. I don’t think excluding others so one group can benefit just sounds too Republican to me.

The PIAA can have public and private tournaments and crown them champions of those tournaments but nobody can claim to be the only champion.
      If you're going to accuse me of supporting Republican ideals, that's low.

Comment

That's the problem in a nutshell... this isn't exclusion. Private schools don't play by the same rules that the publics are "supposed" to follow. Yes, I get that a handful of public's do recruit to an extent, but lets not go crazy and act like they recruit from far reaches of the state or regionally even. Privates DO do that and its supported. It's not a level playing field, just create another classification called Class P (private) and call them Class P state Champions.

When do schools/teams call themselves the only champion? There has always been classifications resulting in multiple state champions. Not a valid argument point.

Comment

If you're going to accuse me of supporting Republican ideals, that's low.
          You keep twisting my words. I did not call you a Cult member.

I don’t want kids to be excluded from being crown champion in a state wide tournament. You want private schools kicked out of the PIAA. That means only public schools will be recognized as the state champions. That’s what people care about, who is the best of everyone at each level. That just seems wrong. In wresting there has to be two AAA wrestling state champions if you want the separation. You cannot demand Bethlehem Catholic to be denied a state champion title. They can be the Private PIAA State Chsmpions. There will be no one single AAA state champion. You have to be fair about it if you want the PIAA to reform the classifications. You cannot exclude schools out of the PIAA. That’s does sound Republican. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

That's the problem in a nutshell... this isn't exclusion. Private schools don't play by the same rules that the publics are "supposed" to follow. Yes, I get that a handful of public's do recruit to an extent, but lets not go crazy and act like they recruit from far reaches of the state or regionally even. Privates DO do that and its supported. It's not a level playing field, just create another classification called Class P (private) and call them Class P state Champions.

When do schools/teams call themselves the only champion? There has always been classifications resulting in multiple state champions. Not a valid argument point.
            Only meaning one champion in the classification. If you boot out the Catholic Schools is the public school in that classification really still the best?

Suburban Philly public high schools have recruited city kids in basketball for years. I believe a few years ago Plymouth Whitemarsh was accused of it as they were rolling towards a state title where some of their players probably didn’t reside in either Plymouth or Whitemarsh townships or the Borough of Conshohocken..their district footprint

Comment

Would school vouchers solve the sports problems? It exists in some states for individual choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                Would school vouchers solve the sports problems? It exists in some states for individual choice.
                I don’t know but they would have to stage two separate tournaments.

Then it gets weird when you have private schools in leagues with public schools. They compete in regular season against them but have to go into a private pool for state tournaments?

It’s easier to disqualify St Joes from the foosball playoffs since they don’t play enough PIAA members.

The PIAA could have rules that private schools can’t enroll athletes who live beyond a certain condensed radius of the school and none from outside of PA.

Last edited by IUPNation; 02-16-2024, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I don’t know but they would have to stage two forests tournaments.

Then it gets weird when you have private schools in leagues with public schools. They compete in regular season against them but have to go into a private pool for state tournaments?

It’s easier to disqualify St Joes from the foosball playoffs since they don’t play enough PIAA members.

The PIAA could have rules that private schools can’t enroll athletes who live beyond a certain condensed radius of the school and none from outside of PA.

Give everyone a trophy and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Yep, 100%.

Comment

I was watching the web coverage of the D6 individual tournament this morning and wrestling guru Tom Elling (also publisher of The PA Football News) informed viewers that the PIAA itself does not have the authority to make the changes that we are discussing. Apparently, the PIAA is subject to the auspices of the state of Pennsylvania. I'm not sure if that means it would take the legislature to make any changes but I think that is how things would be changed. Tom indicated that it would require a law so I assume that means the state legislature.

Comment

I was watching the web coverage of the D6 individual tournament this morning and wrestling guru Tom Elling (also publisher of The PA Football News) informed viewers that the PIAA itself does not have the authority to make the changes that we are discussing. Apparently, the PIAA is subject to the auspices of the state of Pennsylvania. I'm not sure if that means it would take the legislature to make any changes but I think that is how things would be changed. Tom indicated that it would require a law so I assume that means the state legislature.
                        Is it a a church vs. state issue? Perhaps someone needs to file a lawsuit.

Comment

Is it a a church vs. state issue? Perhaps someone needs to file a lawsuit.
                          Do you think it is, Bart?

Comment

Do you think it is, Bart?
                            It seems most of the successful athletic programs are in religious schools, and supporters of public schools are complaining of something akin to reverse discrimination.

Comment

It seems most of the successful athletic programs are in religious schools, and supporters of public schools are complaining of something akin to reverse discrimination.
                              It’s only a fraction of the religious schools who are dominating. It’s not every one.

There are ways to reign the few in but nobody wants to discuss that..

Comment

They are religious schools but it is not because they are religious schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X