Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

So, being treated unfairly is special treatment?
    Public schools can raise taxes and pay for better anything if they wanted to....seems like that is what Downingtown is doing...the locals are whining over 3.5 percent yearly school tax increases for the next 5 years but East and West are always doing well in something.

You won't win me over...my now closed and in the process of being demolished Catholic High School in Norristown was bullied athletically by Norristown Area High School. In those days the foosball coach at NAHS recruited all of the best 8th graders playing in the local CYO foosball league to play for him and we had a 3 year 33 game losing streak. Every foosball game vs Norristown was like a Pee Sack team going up against the best of D2. It was never a contest. Basketball was more competitive and it was more like a split over the 4 years I was there...but private schools have always been a bit stronger in basketball. I don't see how any of this is a shock.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 03-21-2024, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
      Lancaster Catholic just defeated Westmont Hilltop in girls 3A making it three championships for private schools over public schools today in three games. The fourth game in boys 4A features two private schools in Archbishop Carroll and Lincoln Park. At the end of the day four championships will be decided and they are all going to private schools. In other words, a clean sweep. Yeah…there’s no problem here. SMH

Public schools are guaranteed at least one win when it’s all said and done because both boys teams in 6A are public.
      If public schools were doing all the winning over private schools, would you be saying the same thing or is it okay that they can dominate but a private school cannot?

You do seem to forget the foosball titles were almost all won by public schools.Imhotep is still a school in the Philadelphia Public School District.

St Joe's was the only true private school that was awarded a state title and that was the only one that was whined about....

Nobody was upset that Aliquippa, Belle Vernon, Southern Columbia and Steelton-Highspire won titles.

One Classification. One Champion.

Sorry.

Maybe the Pee Sack should split up...haves in one conference, have nots in another. That would be fairer right?

Comment

• Many of these private schools aren't boarding their students. They are commuting from somewhere, and when public schools lose to private schools with student-athletes from that very community, it can get very emotional and hard feelings develop. I get it. I have seen it both ways in my community. Athletes will transfer to the school, private or public that is stacked for a championship run. Such is all the case in noneducational based athletics realm such as Amateur Athletic Union and community travel teams, when teammates on those teams want to stay together. I have heard that "Private schools are a business. They need students to stay open, and strong athletic programs often play an important part in this process." Maybe some of the residential high schools should be separated in state playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
          Many of these private schools aren't boarding their students. They are commuting from somewhere, and when public schools lose to private schools with student-athletes from that very community, it can get very emotional and hard feelings develop. I get it. I have seen it both ways in my community. Athletes will transfer to the school, private or public that is stacked for a championship run. Such is all the case in noneducational based athletics realm such as Amateur Athletic Union and community travel teams, when teammates on those teams want to stay together. I have heard that "Private schools are a business. They need students to stay open, and strong athletic programs often play an important part in this process." Maybe some of the residential high schools should be separated in state playoffs.
          ...and Bishop Shanahan gets overshadowed by Downingtown East and West in athletics. So it is possible for public schools to not only compete but actually best......

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

If public schools were doing all the winning over private schools, would you be saying the same thing or is it okay that they can dominate but a private school cannot?

You do seem to forget the foosball titles were almost all won by public schools.Imhotep is still a school in the Philadelphia Public School District.

St Joe's was the only true private school that was awarded a state title and that was the only one that was whined about....

Nobody was upset that Aliquippa, Belle Vernon, Southern Columbia and Steelton-Highspire won titles.

One Classification. One Champion.

Sorry.

Maybe the Pee Sack should split up...haves in one conference, have nots in another. That would be fairer right?
            Your argument is tired and you know it. You’re grasping now.

Good news is I just learned there’s a move afoot to fix this and put the private all-star teams that are not school districts where they belong. I hope they win every game they’re in this week to help put the nail in the coffin.

Comment

You won't win me over...
              LOL. Yes, because that’s what this is about. SMH

Comment

...and Bishop Shanahan gets overshadowed by Downingtown East and West in athletics. So it is possible for public schools to not only compete but actually best......
                Of the top 50 athletic high schools in PA, it is an even split between private and public.

Comment

Good news is I just learned there’s a move afoot to fix this and put the private all-star teams that are not school districts where they belong. I hope they win every game they’re in this week to help put the nail in the coffin.
                  It’s not tired. It’s just rural PA whining and getting their way yet again.

Comment

LOL. Yes, because that’s what this is about. SMH
                    Didn’t you get the memo?

Comment

Of the top 50 athletic high schools in PA, it is an even split between private and public.
                      I only see kids from East and West wearing athletic gear around here.

Shanahan is definitely in their shadow. They aren’t pulling that many kids away from the public schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

So, being treated unfairly is special treatment?
                        It's the same argument people make about "wokeness". People think that making efforts to lift up people who have historically been treated unfairly is somehow "special treatment". Just used as an excuse to continue inequality.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

It's the same argument people make about "wokeness". People think that making efforts to lift up people who have historically been treated unfairly is somehow "special treatment". Just used as an excuse to continue inequality.
                          LOL...Rural White People have been treated unfairly in Pennsylvania? Did you type that without laughing?

Rural PA has been making the rules and dictating to us for decades.

The city asked Harrisburg if it could have it's own gun laws and the rural lawmakers said no...then they turn around and use the gun violence in Philadelphia in their non stop sneers towards the city.

Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited by IUPNation; 03-22-2024, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I only see kids from East and West wearing athletic gear around here.

Shanahan is definitely in their shadow. They aren’t pulling that many kids away from the public schools.
                            It's a shame, but private Catholic schools are closing everywhere. It used to be they had nuns teaching for free, now it has become too expensive for most working/middle class parents to afford on top of their school taxes.

Comment

Let's see how unfaaaaaiiiiirrrrr it's really been.

Boys 6A
                              Parkland took out the PCL Champion Roman Catholic and then Archbishop Wood in consecutive games on the way to the Finals. They were the only 2 private schools in the brackets.

Boys 5A

4 true private schools made the brackets. 3 of them lost in the FIRST round. Only Archbishop Ryan..the PCL runner up made the final four and they lost to the Philadelphia Public School Champion.

Boys4A

8 private schools made the brackets. 3 of them made the final four.

Girls 6A
                              2 private schools in the brackets both PCL schools from District 12. One of them made the finals. Parkland took out one of them. Parkland might need to be moved up..having such powerful boys and girls teams.

Girls 5A
                              9 private schools out of 32 teams...so 1/4 of the field. 3 made the final four and 2 in the finals.

Girls 4A

9 private schools out of 32 teams...again 1/4 of the field. Only one made the final four and the finals.

I'm just not seeing the whole private all star teams dominating the larger school classifications.

So now we must reinvent the wheel because of these dinky rural schools who refuse to consolidate and now whine they can't compete. We no **** Cletus. Read the room...the problem is Western PA school districts are set up for a 1950's society and not for 2024. Hooterville High just needs to be merged with West Hooterville High and Coal Ditch High.

So really...this is only a small school issue for Central and Western PA. So the whole state has to now bow down and cow tow to whining from small rural schools in Central and Western PA because they can't compete with the small private schools in their area. So this is not a problem for the whole state. The Southeastern/South Central public high schools don't seem to have a problem playing against PCL/Private competition.

The fix is to make Western PA private schools play in higher classifications with bigger schools in the East.

Last edited by IUPNation; 03-22-2024, 07:44 AM.

Comment

It's a shame, but private Catholic schools are closing everywhere. It used to be they had nuns teaching for free, now it has become too expensive for most working/middle class parents to afford on top of their school taxes.
                                Oh Shanahan is doing fine. They aren't going to close anytime soon. They just aren't taking all of the best student athletes athletes from the public schools in Downingtown, West Chester or Coatesville.

The team Marion Center beat in the Final Four won their first round game by forfeit. Not sure which City team did that but they got a free pass out of round. How faaaaiiiirrrrr was that?

It seems to me that since Western PA won't read the room and consolidate their dinky schools into bigger schools...that the PIAA will need to have more stringent criteria to be in 1, 2, 3A. That would push up the "All Star Teams" to higher classifications against bigger schools and even out the competition.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X