Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Erie to ESU is about 50 minutes longer than Erie to Shippensburg. In my realignment, WCU has some long trips but they can afford it, right? Seriously, though, if you look at the overall travel for all teams it would not be very much different. And the rivalries would be stronger.
    Fifty minutes is fifty minutes, and that would be multiple trips to the Erie for East Stroud for every sport. Doesn't make a lot of sense for IUP and Slippery Rock, either. I just don't think it works.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's not really up to the school to decide. Somebody is joining the West if FSU (or whomever) gets poached. Big Steve can decide.

I think Fairmont or West Liberty are better options.
      Doesn't make a lot of sense to talk about anybody moving until we see if they get a replacement school and if so, which one.

Comment

Lost in all the craziness - does Mercyhurst now join the MAC for wrestling?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          Friend at another PSAC school was told the PSAC didn't even find out from Mercyhurst. Oof.
          Yeah, I wonder how long this move has been under consideration. With most of this year's athletic seasons completed, they certainly didn't do the PSAC a favor with an April announcement. I'll bet the folks in Lock Haven are not too thrilled with Mercyhurst.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Fifty minutes is fifty minutes, and that would be multiple trips to the Erie for East Stroud for every sport. Doesn't make a lot of sense for IUP and Slippery Rock, either. I just don't think it works.
            If I find the time I will figure calculate all the travel (I probably won't). I think it would make sense for my school. I also think it would make sense for your school, too. Especially when you figure in the crossover games. Travel-wise, it would make less sense for WCU, Kutztown, and Millersville.

There would be a few more long trips but I think it would be worth it because there would be better competitive realignment.of the programs.

Comment

If I find the time I will figure calculate all the travel (I probably won't). I think it would make sense for my school. I also think it would make sense for your school, too. Especially when you figure in the crossover games. Travel-wise, it would make less sense for WCU, Kutztown, and Millersville.

There would be a few more long trips but I think it would be worth it because there would be better competitive realignment.of the programs.
              Better for who? The South would be a nightmare in football for those schools.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think competitive realignment matters in Division 2. Especially in SR1, where you could stack one PSAC division with all the good teams and it still wouldn't touch the strongest D2 conferences. Splitting East/West just makes the most practical sense, nobody ever splits PA North/South.

Comment

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/50...-will-join-nec

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

The NEC also picked up Chicago State earlier this year mostly to avoid losing their autobid for the FCS playoffs. That conference is circling the drain and they’re grabbing whoever they can to try and hold onto what they’ve got. I doubt it will work given the bleh quality of programs they’ve picked up.
                    Unless Chicago St is adding football the NEC with Hurst now has 7 teams. It is losing Sacred Heart and Merrimack. Also could someone answer a large question that nobody has discussed is Hurst playing PSAC football THIS Fall???

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, I wonder how long this move has been under consideration. With most of this year's athletic seasons completed, they certainly didn't do the PSAC a favor with an April announcement. I'll bet the folks in Lock Haven are not too thrilled with Mercyhurst.
                      For some reason, schools which move from D2 to D1 tend to do so on little to no notice. It's not an unfamiliar pattern, but it's kinda dirty pool, in my opinion.
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Unless Chicago St is adding football the NEC with Hurst now has 7 teams. It is losing Sacred Heart and Merrimack. Also could someone answer a large question that nobody has discussed is Hurst playing PSAC football THIS Fall???
                        From the Northeast Conference press release:

The Lakers will participate in 18 of the NEC’s 25 championship sports in 2024-25, the exceptions being men’s volleyball, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track and field, and men’s and women’s swimming and diving.

Mercyhurst will be integrated into NEC athletic schedules beginning with the 2024-25 season.
                        During its reclassification, Mercyhurst will immediately be able to participate in NEC championships in NCAA non-automatic qualifier sports (cross country, swimming and diving, and indoor and outdoor track and field). Beginning in 2026-27, all Mercyhurst athletic programs will be eligible to compete in the NEC postseason but will remain ineligible for NCAA competition until the 2028-29 academic year.
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I wonder if you meant the NCAA tournament, because Chicago State (a) doesn't sponsor football and (b) has about as much business being in D1 as Virginia-Lynchburg (which is to say none). At best, Chicago State strikes me as a program which would be better off in the GLIAC or GLVC instead of D1, but that's just my two cents.

There are a couple of videos explaining the state of affairs of the NEC and their realignment issues: NEC after Sacred Heart and Merrimack announced they were moving to the Metro Atlantic Athletic conference (MAAC) and NEC after adding Chicago State

I would suspect this YouTube channel will drop a new video to reflect Mercyhurst's move to the NEC within the next day or two. It's not the flashiest content, but the channel does a great job of explaining things out and citing NCAA policies when it comes to the nuts and bolts of realignment.
                          I don’t need to watch a video the NEC is on life support. Chic ago State after review will never have football but to the NEC credit they do get Robert Morris back for football. Which makes 8 squads counting Hurst. Duquesne favorite for life in that league.

Comment

Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

No

They best add some football transfers real fast. That current roster stinks.

Comment

With Frostburg and Mercyhurst, it seems obvious to me that Frostburg would replace Hurst in the West. 1 for 1 (if this happens).

Personally, as an IUP fan, I'd like to see PSAC Football go to a North/South divisional alignment. I think it would partly address the haves/have nots issue. Plus, the travel wouldn't end up being much different.

For example, a Southern Division that would include SRU, Cal, IUP, Frostburg, Shepherd, Ship, WCU, and SHU (just based on geography) would be great, IMO. That division would be more competitive and more interesting.

The North would include Gannon, Boro, Clarion, LHU, Bloom, ESU, Kutztown, and Millersville.
                              One is a gauntlet and the other is a free pass.

Pass on that.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It was renovated within the past year or two. It's much nicer than it was.

As of this year, it was probably the 4th nicest in the West (behind IUP, Cal and Clarion).
                                But they went from 1700 seats to 1100

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X