Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

New Haven is also on the NEC invite list.
    As of right now, New Haven has no interest to joint the NEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s in Indiana. I was only listing the ones in Pennsylvania.

Villanova has over a billion in the bank. Mercyhurt has about 45 million. They are not prestigious. This move reeks of desperation. They may end being Cabrini than Duquesne.
      I think the NEC is a better fit for Mercyhurst than the PSAC is. In fact, when I look at the roster of NEC member schools, I see a conference full of misfits.

Mercyhurst believes they can improve their status and visibility through athletics. This move means they are overemphasizing athletics, IMO. It's the same with Seton Hill. They overemphasize athletics in an attempt to get their name out there. I wouldn't be surprised if SHU is already studying the possibility of making a similar move as Mercyhurst.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        Always overlooked in the recuring PSAC replacement team derby is Lincoln University PA. I mean, they are in-state, they have both football and basketball and if mileage is the key factor many seem to think it is, then adding Lincoln to the East and moving one of the east's most western schools to the west seems pretty logical. I'd think Millersville, WCU and Kutztown would be salivating at the prospect of having an in-state conference opponent 40, 30 and 60 (respectively) miles away. Also a milage win for Lincoln PA as they are the northern outlier in the largely Virginia based CIAA. I mean, if mileage is truly the dominant factor for schools, seems like a no brainer for all involved.

So why no interest in Lincoln? Is there something else?
        They are an HBCU...I don't see them wanting to leave a HBCU conference. The only reason Cheyney was in the Pee Sack is because it is a State System school and Lincoln is not....

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think the NEC is a better fit for Mercyhurst than the PSAC is. In fact, when I look at the roster of NEC member schools, I see a conference full of misfits.

Mercyhurst believes they can improve their status and visibility through athletics. This move means they are overemphasizing athletics, IMO. It's the same with Seton Hill. They overemphasize athletics in an attempt to get their name out there. I wouldn't be surprised if SHU is already studying the possibility of making a similar move as Mercyhurst.
          They will end up being Cabrini and there will be no Villanova to buy the campus either.

Comment

Lincoln is an HBCU in a conference of other HBCUs. I imagine they're happy.
            But speculation on this board centers almost exclusively on driving distance as the end all and be all for why a team should join the PSAC. If that is the case, HBCU or not, Lincoln should be pounding the phone calling the PSAC comish asking for admission...and the Comish should be more than eager to take their call. They have everything the PSAC wants.

Comment

But speculation on this board centers almost exclusively on driving distance as the end all and be all for why a team should join the PSAC. If that is the case, HBCU or not, Lincoln should be pounding the phone calling the PSAC comish asking for admission...and the Comish should be more than eager to take their call. They have everything the PSAC wants.
              They would get demolished in everything in the Per Sack. Why aren’t you pushing for West Liberty to make the jump?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

If Seton Hill moves, it will be down to D3. They are not in a good financial place. Not dire but not good.

Comment

Always overlooked in the recuring PSAC replacement team derby is Lincoln University PA. I mean, they are in-state, they have both football and basketball and if mileage is the key factor many seem to think it is, then adding Lincoln to the East and moving one of the east's most western schools to the west seems pretty logical. I'd think Millersville, WCU and Kutztown would be salivating at the prospect of having an in-state conference opponent 40, 30 and 60 (respectively) miles away. Also a milage win for Lincoln PA as they are the northern outlier in the largely Virginia based CIAA. I mean, if mileage is truly the dominant factor for schools, seems like a no brainer for all involved.

So why no interest in Lincoln? Is there something else?
                  Lincoln is a geographic fit, but their overall sports offerings are still pretty limited, and while they've been improving in football, they still are not strong at all (see: opening day loss to Clarion last year). I am open to Lincoln being a potential add down the line, but I think there's still growth that need to happen before they are an athletic fit.

I don't think there's any conference-wide distaste for adding an HBCU in principle. But HBCU's remain behind the eight ball in terms of institutional obstacles they face, and conferences should not be in the business of extending charity invites. Lincoln fits best in the CIAA for now until they can continue on their growth trajectory.

Comment

Fair point, but HBCU's almost always exclusively playing other HBCU's. It's why most sit out the FCS and D2 playoffs in favor of their HBCU bowl games.

Without any disrespect to Lincoln, the only benefits are proximity and to a much lesser degree, state funding although they're not state owned and operated like PASSHE. They're a more independent Pitt Johnstown. Lincoln is small and also financially strained like the struggling PSAC schools.

They're not a bad choice, but I believe there are better. Frostburg, West Liberty, then Lincoln.

Comment

Fair point, but HBCU's almost always exclusively playing other HBCU's. It's why most sit out the FCS and D2 playoffs in favor of their HBCU bowl games.
                      D2 HBCU's don't opt out of the D2 playoffs. They did start a D2 HBCU bowl game this year, but it consisted of teams that did not qualify for the playoffs.

Comment

If Seton Hill moves, it will be down to D3. They are not in a good financial place. Not dire but not good.
                        I could see Seton Hill and Gannon bolting for the GMAC where they would be in with all privates.

I think I'm more shocked Mercyhurst "moved up" and not bolting for the GMAC as their reason for departure from the Pee Sack.

If the other two did move to the GMAC...I wouldn't miss them but LIT AF does seem to finally hitting their stride in the Pee Sack in all sports so maybe they stay put.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Lincoln is a geographic fit, but their overall sports offerings are still pretty limited, and while they've been improving in football, they still are not strong at all (see: opening day loss to Clarion last year). I am open to Lincoln being a potential add down the line, but I think there's still growth that need to happen before they are an athletic fit.

I don't think there's any conference-wide distaste for adding an HBCU in principle. But HBCU's remain behind the eight ball in terms of institutional obstacles they face, and conferences should not be in the business of extending charity invites. Lincoln fits best in the CIAA for now until they can continue on their growth trajectory.
                          The Home Office in Lock Haven taking in Lincoln now is pretty much getting a warm body to fill a seat.

Id rather take in a new member that offers something like Frostburg in foosball and West Liberty in basketball.

I mean why take Lincoln in...just hand Cheyney money to reinstate athletics. They are still a State System School.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The Home Office in Lock Haven taking in Lincoln now is pretty much getting a warm body to fill a seat.

Id rather take in a new member that offers something like Frostburg in foosball and West Liberty in basketball.

I mean why take Lincoln in...just hand Cheyney money to reinstate athletics. They are still a State System School.
                            There is zero interest in Lincoln. It isn't even worth talking about. The replacement member will come from the MEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There is zero interest in Lincoln. It isn't even worth talking about. The replacement member will come from the MEC.
                              It's seems extremely likely to be the MEC, and F'burg seems odds on fav. For fun, who would be the WTF choice... Wheeling, WLU, GSC ???!?

Comment

That's probably true and I was being a little bit facetious. However, a week ago you could have said the same thing about Mercyhurst. Ultimately, Hurst going D1 in all sports takes money. Where does that money come from?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X