Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 'Southern East Conference' / GSC & Conference Carolina Football

D2 'Southern East Conference' / GSC & Conference Carolina Football

West Florida, Barton, Valdosta State, Chowan, Erskine, Delta State, UNC Pembroke, West Georgia, North Greenville, West Alabama, Shorter, and Mississippi College. With the possible addition of Limestone, Wingate, and Newberry in a future SEC alignment.

This potential 'Southern East Conference' powerhouse Division 2 Football conference is something that is already on the mind of a lot of fans, players, ADs, and coaches, and has a pretty good chance of eventually coming to fruition. No more scheduling problems and to save $$$ on travel cost, could be split into Northern and Southern Divisions.

…That’s not happening.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Why in the world would Shorter and CC schools want this? They wouldn't have a chance against the top GSC teams of whatever season.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

LOL, and I remember when West Florida first started their football program, and some people were saying it would take them at least 10 years (if ever) to be competitive in the GSC. And, here we go again.
        With that being said, how long do you think it will take before UNA becomes consistently competitive in their division?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          LOL, and I remember when West Florida first started their football program, and some people were saying it would take them at least 10 years (if ever) to be competitive in the GSC. And, here we go again.
          With that being said, how long do you think it will take before UNA becomes consistently competitive in their division?
          No one said that about West Florida. They have been competitive in basically every sport for years. No one thought football would be any different. I live here in Pensacola.

We shall see about UNA. New staff this season and lots of new players.
          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I’m almost positive no one said that about UWF. As a matter of fact, I remember my old teammates and I talking about how good they would be. Half of our starters from my time at DSU probably would have ended up at UWF. A lot of GSC players would have stayed home to play at UWF during that time.

I think most people knew UWF was going to be competitive right away. The location is filled with football talent, the whole state is a football recruiting hotbed.

Those other schools aren’t UWF.

Comment

I see some of the Conference Carolina teams (both new and emerging) as being comparable to NGU, which over time really benefited the GSC in both scheduling and eventually in competition. If this merger doesn't happen, in the long run, I'm sure CC will be just fine as they work well in scheduling needed D2 dates with (in region) CIAA programs, also I'm sure more CC schools will be adding football in the not so distant future. On the flip side, unless the GSC teams can work out some additional scheduling with some SIAC teams some GSC programs may have to resort to playing each other multiple times to fill their schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

I’m almost positive no one said that about UWF. As a matter of fact, I remember my old teammates and I talking about how good they would be. Half of our starters from my time at DSU probably would have ended up at UWF. A lot of GSC players would have stayed home to play at UWF during that time.

I think most people knew UWF was going to be competitive right away. The location is filled with football talent, the whole state is a football recruiting hotbed.

Those other schools aren’t UWF.
                Exactly. UNA benefitted greatly by recruiting here before UWF football came along. The Lions had stars on both offense and defense from the Pensacola/Gulf Coast region.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Coach Shinnick did a really great job with recruiting in getting the program up and running.

On a side note, Valdosta State does a great job in recruiting players in northern Florida / well, Florida in general.

Comment

D2 'Southern East Conference' / GSC & Conference Carolina Football

West Florida, Barton, Valdosta State, Chowan, Erskine, Delta State, UNC Pembroke, West Georgia, North Greenville, West Alabama, Shorter, and Mississippi College. With the possible addition of Limestone, Wingate, and Newberry in a future SEC alignment.

This potential 'Southern East Conference' powerhouse Division 2 Football conference is something that is already on the mind of a lot of fans, players, ADs, and coaches, and has a pretty good chance of eventually coming to fruition. No more scheduling problems and to save $$$ on travel cost, could be split into Northern and Southern Divisions.
                    I like the idea, I just don’t see it happening.

Comment

The location is filled with football talent, the whole state is a football recruiting hotbed.
                      Were the same things being said when Florida Tech started football?

Comment

Florida Tech is not in Pensacola. The location I was referring to as being filled with talent was Pensacola.

The whole state is a football recruiting hotbed. Florida Tech is in Florida, so yes, Florida Tech is part of that recruiting hotbed.

Comment

Florida Tech is not in Pensacola. The location I was referring to as being filled with talent was Pensacola.

The whole state is a football recruiting hotbed. Florida Tech is in Florida, so yes, Florida Tech is part of that recruiting hotbed.
                          Yes, but just being a D2 school in the Sunshine State didn't translate to success for Florida Tech. Again, I believe Coach Shinnick made a big difference in West Florida's success in building a strong program.

Comment

Florida Tech had a program for 7 years, went to the playoffs twice, and lost the program due to budget cuts. It wasn't like they were a turd like Shorter but they werent UWF.

Shinnick is the freaking man. No disagreements there.

Comment

Same things were said and they were very good. Did they have the same track record as UWF, no, but they did better than average in their short 7 year stint. If they announced tomorrow they were coming back, I bet people would be shaking in their boots.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X