Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#BREAKING The University of West Georgia on Friday will ask the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics to allow #UWGAthletics to enter into a new agreement regarding its athletic conference affiliation and the expansion of its athletics program offerings.

There is unconfirmed speculation, that if accepted - UWG could join the Atlantic Sun Conference, the United Athletic Conference or the Ohio Valley Conference. Each is a D1 conference.

Division 1 programs are considered to offer the highest level of competition among the NCAA’s three divisions. Most D1 programs are found at large schools with big athletic budgets. These schools typically provide more scholarships compared to the other division levels.

Among the requirements to become a Division One school, UWG would have to sponsor a minimum of seven men's and seven women's sports, or six men's and eight women's sports. UWG currently sponsors 5 men’s sports and 9 women’s sports that can compete for NCAA championships, according to UWG Athletics Director Jason Carmichael.

There are currently 363 NCAA D1 schools across the U.S.

Comment

https://asunsports.org/news/2023/9/1/atlantic-sun.aspx

Article from the ASUN

Comment

This is just all sorts of exciting if you are a realignment fan

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Wolf View Post
          Congratulations West Georgia Wolves! https://uacfootball.com/news/2023/9/...th-member.aspx

​​​​
          Last edited by crixus; 09-08-2023, 01:11 PM.
          Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Welcome to the ASUN and UAC, Wolves!!

Now, c’mon UWF!!
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

The thread on the ASUN forum on CSNbbs:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-976738-pos...ml#pid19130891
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                This is just all sorts of exciting if you are a realignment fan
                What next for the GSC...???
                VSU and UWF have to be pushing to get in to D1 now I would think? What does this leave the GSC with?

Comment

Interesting development to say the least.
                  * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                  * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                  * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                  * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Not looking to go, going. ASUN/UAC next year. Adios to the dumpster fire that is the GSC.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                      The thread on the ASUN forum on CSNbbs:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-976738-pos...ml#pid19130891
                      Time to get my smack talk on...

Comment

UNA welcomes UWG!

ASUN welcomes the Wolves!

Last edited by UNALions; 09-09-2023, 02:18 AM.
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Congrats UWG on moving up. Wish y’all the very best and hope to see y’all playing for the title one day.

Comment

I think we all felt it coming. I hope it works out well for y’all. I know this Statesman will miss y’all.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

What next for the GSC...???
                              VSU and UWF have to be pushing to get in to D1 now I would think? What does this leave the GSC with?
                              VSU has long asserted they don’t have the finances to go D1. Enrollment last year dropped to 10k students. I’ve seen recent articles saying it’s up but with no actual numbers, and reports that at least half the incoming freshman class are virtual students.

I have wondered though with the AD retiring if this would finally lead to serious discussion about moving up.

I’ve heard some chatter that the high school may finally sell the stadium but the asking price is high. Nothing official, just people close to the program talking. That’s likely priority number one before making a move.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBare View Post

VSU has long asserted they don’t have the finances to go D1. Enrollment last year dropped to 10k students. I’ve seen recent articles saying it’s up but with no actual numbers, and reports that at least half the incoming freshman class are virtual students.
                                The average enrollment for the ASUN is 6,831 undergraduates with 8,452 total students. UWG enters the fold with 11,914 total students based on fall 2022 enrollment numbers, which ranks fourth in the conference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X