Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNA - how long did it take you folks to reach the full 63 scholarships? Assuming you have, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Braves'86 View Post
      UNA - how long did it take you folks to reach the full 63 scholarships? Assuming you have, of course.
      I’m not sure of the exact timeline but I don’t think it was gradual. I think they were all added the first transition season.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I’m not sure of the exact timeline but I don’t think it was gradual. I think they were all added the first transition season.
        I know it's different for every team, of course, but how are the scholarships given to current players?

Does the coach recruit a whole new team?
        Does he give full scholarships to the current players that have partial scholarships?
        Does he cut players?

I'm guessing it's a mixture of all of that.
        RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
        Delta State University, GSC

Comment

The UAC announced its 2024 schedule today.

From the release:

A rivalry will be renewed on Sept. 28 when the Wolves travel to North Alabama to take on the Lions for the 36th time in program history. UWG and UNA last played in 2017 in Carrollton.

https://uwgathletics.com/news/2023/1...all-slate.aspx

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Get ready for a reality check. UWG getting ready to compete in recruitment with 6 other D1 programs in GA for D1 players, not too mention 7 D1 programs just across the border in AL (not including HBCUs). For sure, gonna be interesting times in Carrollton over the next few seasons. Good luck!

Comment

The UAC announced its 2024 schedule today.

From the release:

A rivalry will be renewed on Sept. 28 when the Wolves travel to North Alabama to take on the Lions for the 36th time in program history. UWG and UNA last played in 2017 in Carrollton.

https://uwgathletics.com/news/2023/1...all-slate.aspx

LOL. No love for UCA.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

LOL. No love for UCA.
                Haha. I noticed that, too. It barely mentions them in the UWG press release.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mule View Post
                  Get ready for a reality check. UWG getting ready to compete in recruitment with 6 other D1 programs in GA for D1 players, not too mention 7 D1 programs just across the border in AL (not including HBCUs). For sure, gonna be interesting times in Carrollton over the next few seasons. Good luck!
                  Is there enough water in the well down there? Serious question, do high school programs down there have enough D1 talent to be competitive or will the competition be watered down at this level? Thats a lot of D1 schools in a small radius.

Comment

Also looking back at UNA recient years D1 hasn’t appeared kind to them

Comment

Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
                      Also looking back at UNA recient years D1 hasn’t appeared kind to them
                      Football has been the biggest struggle. But they finally made a coaching change and things are improving. Other sports have had several bright spots. Multiple conference title game appearances, postseason tournaments, and P5 wins in men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, beach volleyball, etc.
                      Last edited by UNALions; 11-14-2023, 11:13 PM.
                      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Is there enough water in the well down there? Serious question, do high school programs down there have enough D1 talent to be competitive or will the competition be watered down at this level? Thats a lot of D1 schools in a small radius.
                        In the south Ga- north Florida area alone, the high school talent is tremendous.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Football has been the biggest struggle. But they finally made a coaching change and things are improving. Other sports have had several bright spots. Multiple conference title game appearances, postseason tournaments, and P5 wins in men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, beach volleyball, etc.
                          I think people struggle with this. They only look at football. They refuse to look at other sports or see the big picture. They forget to look at enrollment, the financial aspects, the scheduling, and even the marketing.
                          Im a big proponent of moving to FCS. The long term impact and the stability is well worth the move.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

They will be able to expand their recruiting footprint under the D1 moniker. This is a good move for UWG and they will reap the benefits in the future. You're thinking small D2 recruiting in a localized area. You're also only thinking about football. Moving to D1 will help recruit athletes from outside of their state and region. Those D1 schools are able to recruit from all over, not just in their locality. Lastly, the move to FCS will not be based solely on football. There are other measures of success.

Side note: I was a JUCO kid from California, and Delta State found me with far less recruiting resources and less coaches. UWG, with their added resources, will be able to attract athletes from all over if they choose to.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

They will be able to expand their recruiting footprint under the D1 moniker. This is a good move for UWG and they will reap the benefits in the future. You're thinking small D2 recruiting in a localized area. You're also only thinking about football. Moving to D1 will help recruit athletes from outside of their state and region. Those D1 schools are able to recruit from all over, not just in their locality. Lastly, the move to FCS will not be based solely on football. There are other measures of success.

Side note: I was a JUCO kid from California, and Delta State found me with far less recruiting resources and less coaches. UWG, with their added resources, will be able to attract athletes from all over if they choose to.
                              If they aren't recruiting nationally currently, then they were likely behind sticks.

Comment

It will take them a bit to maybe get off and running and talent needed to compete but in time / a few years UWG will be fine

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X