Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

The school matters, but the coach does too.

Mumme left. VSU made a bad hire. They then made three great hires followed by a good hire. The jury is still out on the current coach.

Yes, I think that Schinnick could have won it at UNCP.
    No way he would have won a National Championship at UNCP. A lot of conference championships, sure.

I don't see UNCP competing for National Championships with or without Coach Schinnick.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Well it appears that maybe Schinnick didn't think he could win it all at UNCP. He went 9-2 and got beat up by UNA in the playoffs in 2013. So instead of building off of that success he thought he was better off building a new program from scratch? The man obviously saw that West Florida offered something that UNCP never could, and he was right about that.
      Will Hall left UWA to go to UWG. He didn't win a championship.

Sometimes coaches leave for other than football reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

No way he would have won a National Championship at UNCP. A lot of conference championships, sure.

I don't see UNCP competing for National Championships with or without Coach Schinnick.
        If Lenoir-Rhyne can make it to the championship game, UNC-P can.

Carson-Newman was a national power for decades with the right coach. They were making it to the championship game with only 25 scholarships.

Comment

Well it appears that maybe Schinnick didn't think he could win it all at UNCP. He went 9-2 and got beat up by UNA in the playoffs in 2013. So instead of building off of that success he thought he was better off building a new program from scratch? The man obviously saw that West Florida offered something that UNCP never could, and he was right about that.
          Coach Shinnick did see something, mo $$$$ and extra perks at that time. Plus UNCP was a lot smaller school back then when Coach Shinnick moved to West Florida. I wish him the best with his new gig in Baltimore!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Coach Shinnick did see something, mo $$$$ and extra perks at that time. Plus UNCP was a lot smaller school back then when Coach Shinnick moved to West Florida. I wish him the best with his new gig in Baltimore!!
            Well and waking up everyday in Pensacola isn't too awful either!

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Well and waking up everyday in Pensacola isn't too awful either!
              Yep, I agree! However, my Braves buddy told me that when Coach Shinnick was coaching at UNCP, he lived up the road in the Pinehurst / Deercroft area. I guess that's not a bad place to wake up if you're a golfer. Plus the Myrtle Beach area is only around 60 miles from their campus.

With that being said, I'm a big fan of Northern Florida:)
              Last edited by Eagle74; 06-29-2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Yep, I agree! However, my Braves buddy told me that when Coach Shinnick was coaching at UNCP, he lived up the road in Pinehurst. I guess that's not a bad place to wake up if you're a golfer. Plus the Myrtle Beach area is only around 60 miles from their campus.

With that being said, I'm a big fan of Northern Florida:)
                I have tried and tried to give golf a chance and I just can't. It doesn't move the needle for me. I was made for the driving range LOL!

Comment

Same here, I'd rather be fishing along the coast. 🎣

Comment

Same here, I'd rather be fishing along the coast. 🎣
                    Hey look at there, I agree with you on something. All it took was a thread on the GSC board to get Canadarican, You, and Me to all agree on a topic at the same time. Lol

Comment

Hey look at there, I agree with you on something. All it took was a thread on the GSC board to get Canadarican, You, and Me to all agree on a topic at the same time. Lol
                      Well........there you go!

Hope you both have a great 4th of July weekend!

Comment

Well........there you go!

Hope you both have a great 4th of July weekend!
                        It's supposed to rain here in East Tennessee all weekend. 4th of July weekend plus rain is about as enjoyable as getting hit in the duds with a wiffle ball bat.

Comment

Coach Shinnick himself said he interviewed and took the job at West Florida because he believed that West Florida would be taking Pembroke’s playoff spot no matter who the coach was at West Florida. He decided that his best chance at future playoff spots would be at West Florida and history proved him right.

Looking forward to Caleb Nobles Argos, but he’s losing lots of starters to portal: DL Pooda Walker, LB Will Breland and RB Shomari Mason to name a few I’ve seen on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                            Coach Shinnick himself said he interviewed and took the job at West Florida because he believed that West Florida would be taking Pembroke’s playoff spot no matter who the coach was at West Florida. He decided that his best chance at future playoff spots would be at West Florida and history proved him right.

Looking forward to Caleb Nobles Argos, but he’s losing lots of starters to portal: DL Pooda Walker, LB Will Breland and RB Shomari Mason to name a few I’ve seen on Twitter.
                            Even he knew he wasn’t winning anything at UNCP.
                            He’s a great coach and made the right decision to go to UWF.
                            RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                            Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

Even he knew he wasn’t winning anything at UNCP.
                              He’s a great coach and made the right decision to go to UWF.
                              Coach Shinnick was in fact handicapped with not being in a conference back when he was at UNCP. Even so, his young Braves team made it to the playoffs in it's third year finishing 9-2, and then again a few years later, making it to the second round eventually losing to UNA, and again finishing 9-2.

My Braves buddy told me that Coach Shinnick was an outstanding recruiter and had tapped into the talent rich football pool of southeast North Carolina. He had developed a great rapport with the regional high school coaches, especially in the nearby Fayetteville NC area. Surprisingly, Fayetteville's population is almost 4 times larger than Pensacola, and is actually larger than Mobile Alabama, and that area of NC constantly sends players to the ACC, SEC, and other D1 conferences.

Things have recently changed at UNC-Pembroke quite a bit since Coach Shinnick's departure. This year they have a new aggressive minded (and successful) Head Coach with Mark Hall (who is also an excellent recruiter) taking over the helms in leading the Braves. They are now a member of Conference Carolina, and their enrollment has been booming and is now at around 8,500.

So yea, if Coach Shinnich would have stuck around chances are that they could have won a title, and who knows, with the way things are now headed (and based on his past success at a smaller school) Coach Hall could potentially make it happen for the Braves.

It's going to be interesting to see what Coach Hall and the Braves can do this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post

Wow those are some HUGE names to be losing.
                                * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
                                * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
                                * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                                * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X