Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Yes, but just being a D2 school in the Sunshine State didn't translate to success for Florida Tech. Again, I believe Coach Shinnick made a big difference in West Florida's success in building a strong program.
    Florida Tech was a respectable program with an overall winning record and two playoff appearances in its short tenure.

Comment

Yes, but just being a D2 school in the Sunshine State didn't translate to success for Florida Tech. Again, I believe Coach Shinnick made a big difference in West Florida's success in building a strong program.
      It's also easy to argue the reverse and say that West Florida was a huge part of Shinnick's success. Schinnick had a decently respectable program going at UNCP, but no way he would have ever won a National Championship there. Going to West Florida opened him up to more resources and a talent pool with less competition for in state recruiting. There are no other public D2 programs and only one public FCS program in Florida, and as big as Florida is there are only 2 total D2 programs and 3 total FCS programs. West Florida is a gold mine of a program.

Shinnick is a good guy and I wish him success on the next level, but I think West Florida could have been just as successful with certain other coaches. I can't say the same for Shinnick at just any old other school.

Comment

Lol. You’re not very good at this. FL Tech was a solid GSC program and would have run laps around any team from the CC.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Bringing the number of National Championship games into play, Florida Tech's success (other than a first round playoff loss to North Greenville) paled in comparison to West Florida.

By the way, you guys don't plan on playing Memphis again anytime soon are you?

Comment

Bringing the number of National Championship games into play, Florida Tech's success (other than a first round playoff loss to North Greenville) paled in comparison to West Florida.

By the way, you guys don't plan on playing Memphis again anytime soon are you?
            Duh! Captain Obvious!! Lol.

No, this year the Lions end the regular season in Tallahassee vs. the Seminoles. Who is your school again? Do they have a football program?
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

LOL...​​ Florida State

Comment

LOL...​​ Florida State
                Yep! The Lions start the year against Mercer in the FCS Kickoff Game on ESPN.

Who is your team playing?
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

A school being located in a "recruting hotbed" by itself doesn't guarantee success...But it makes it a whole lot easier to find. Having a great coach doesn't guarantee success...But that also makes it a whole lot easier to find. Put the two together as UWF has discovered makes success almost inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

It's also easy to argue the reverse and say that West Florida was a huge part of Shinnick's success. Schinnick had a decently respectable program going at UNCP, but no way he would have ever won a National Championship there. Going to West Florida opened him up to more resources and a talent pool with less competition for in state recruiting. There are no other public D2 programs and only one public FCS program in Florida, and as big as Florida is there are only 2 total D2 programs and 3 total FCS programs. West Florida is a gold mine of a program.

Shinnick is a good guy and I wish him success on the next level, but I think West Florida could have been just as successful with certain other coaches. I can't say the same for Shinnick at just any old other school.
                    What has UNCP's program done without Schinnick?

UNCP had one losing season under him (seven seasons), and that was the inaugural season of UNCP football. His replacement has had six losing seasons (nine seasons).

Schinnick has been a head coach since 1999 and has had three total losing seasons. One of those was the inaugural UNCP season, and one of those was the inaugural UWF season.

He's had 11 playoff teams in 21 seasons at three schools with all three schools making the playoffs. He has a national runner-up and a national championship.

Dude wins.
                    Last edited by Rational Observer; 06-29-2023, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I see that UNC-Pembroke was able to hire Mark Hall away from Chowan as their new Head Coach this year. Based on his reputation and success, Coach Hall will immediately bring in a completely new aggresses style on both sides of the ball.

Hall compiled a 14-7 record at the helm of the program at Chowan, including a 7-4 mark in 2022 that culminated in the program's first CIAA North Division title, as well as an appearance in the CIAA championship game. Several of Coach Hall's position coaches followed him to UNCP as did around 16 of Chowan's top players who transferred to UNC Pembroke. Coach Hall should have a lot of talent to work with to get things kicked off in this new chapter for UNC Pembroke football.

This should be interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

What has UNCP's program done without Schinnick?

UNCP had one losing season under him (seven seasons), and that was the inaugural season of UNCP football. His replacement has had six losing seasons (nine seasons).

Schinnick has been a head coach since 1999 and has had three total losing seasons. One of those was the inaugural UNCP season, and one of those was the inaugural UWF season.

He's had 11 playoff teams in 21 seasons at three schools with all three schools making the playoffs. He has a national runner-up and a national championship.

Dude wins.
                        I never said he doesn't win or he wasn't a good coach, I just said that West Florida was a huge part of his success of getting to the next level. 7 years at UNCP he made the playoffs twice, versus 6 years at West Florida he made the playoffs 4 times winning the National Championship once and National Runner-Up once. Do you think he would have made two national championship games if he would have stayed at UNCP?

Bringing up how UNCP has fallen off actually helps my argument, especially if West Florida continues to do well with a new coach. It will show that what West Florida as a school brings to the table was just as valuable as to what Shinnick brought as a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

I never said he doesn't win or he wasn't a good coach, I just said that West Florida was a huge part of his success of getting to the next level. 7 years at UNCP he made the playoffs twice, versus 6 years at West Florida he made the playoffs 4 times winning the National Championship once and National Runner-Up once. Do you think he would have made two national championship games if he would have stayed at UNCP?

Bringing up how UNCP has fallen off actually helps my argument, especially if West Florida continues to do well with a new coach. It will show that what West Florida as a school brings to the table was just as valuable as to what Shinnick brought as a coach.
                          The school matters, but the coach does too.

Mumme left. VSU made a bad hire. They then made three great hires followed by a good hire. The jury is still out on the current coach.

Yes, I think that Schinnick could have won it at UNCP.

Comment

As you should clearly know, Coaching can make a huge difference with a program's success. IMO Coach Shinnick was one of the best Division 2 Coaches, especially with new start up college football programs

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

I see that UNC-Pembroke was able to hire Mark Hall away from Chowan as their new Head Coach this year. Based on his reputation and success, Coach Hall will immediately bring in a completely new aggresses style on both sides of the ball.

Hall compiled a 14-7 record at the helm of the program at Chowan, including a 7-4 mark in 2022 that culminated in the program's first CIAA North Division title, as well as an appearance in the CIAA championship game. Several of Coach Hall's position coaches followed him to UNCP as did around 16 of Chowan's top players who transferred to UNC Pembroke. Coach Hall should have a lot of talent to work with to get things kicked off in this new chapter for UNC Pembroke football.

This should be interesting to watch.

Comment

Steve Englehart was a really good coach at Florida Tech, which is also why they competed well in the GSC.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

The school matters, but the coach does too.

Mumme left. VSU made a bad hire. They then made three great hires followed by a good hire. The jury is still out on the current coach.

Yes, I think that Schinnick could have won it at UNCP.
                                Well it appears that maybe Schinnick didn't think he could win it all at UNCP. He went 9-2 and got beat up by UNA in the playoffs in 2013. So instead of building off of that success he thought he was better off building a new program from scratch? The man obviously saw that West Florida offered something that UNCP never could, and he was right about that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X