Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty tough pill for the Reddies to swallow. I realize Lindenwood had some things going in their favor that made putting them in the easier to justify decision, but that HSU team absolutely deserved a shot in the playoffs. OBU is going to crush Lindenwood next week.

Comment

I don't think UIndy is ahead of Harding...

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I don't think UIndy is ahead of Harding...
        I know the last 3 were "unseeded", but the ranking that was released by D2 on twitter had indy at 5 and us at 6. I don't know if that's accurate or not. We could've easily been playing UCM and Indy playing NWMSU and still no plane tickets have to be bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

1. If SOS is the same2. how many teams were .500 or better etc.3. The surprising bit is the fact that HU is at the 4 coming in, win by 35 on the road, and 2 teams jump them. And one stayed ahead with a loss. Our loss was a last second field goal in week 1 on the road to 11-0 OBU.
          Stop, take few breathes and relax. Here we go and stay with me on bolded...

1. SOS is PO criteria and since both conferences play 11 game silo schedule, SOS is .500. That is a wash.
          2. Wins against .500 or better is a PO criteria. MIAA had 7 teams above .500 and both UCM and NW were 5-1. GAC had 5 teams above .500 or better. HU was 3-1.
          3. None of that is PO criteria.

Hope that helps.
          Go Hounds!
          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
          Cyclone Power
          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

I know the last 3 were "unseeded", but the ranking that was released by D2 on twitter had indy at 5 and us at 6. I don't know if that's accurate or not. We could've easily been playing UCM and Indy playing NWMSU and still no plane tickets have to be bought.
            If you're looking at the tweet by D2football.com, I'm pretty sure that was just to indicate the matchups, not the actual seeds.

As for why UIndy is playing UCM and Harding is playing NWMSU, it's because if they were swapped both would be looking at a second-round flight.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

Stop, take few breathes and relax. Here we go and stay with me on bolded...

1. SOS is PO criteria and since both conferences play 11 game silo schedule, SOS is .500. That is a wash.
              2. Wins against .500 or better is a PO criteria. MIAA had 7 teams above .500 and both UCM and NW were 5-1. GAC had 5 teams above .500 or better. HU was 3-1.
              3. None of that is PO criteria.

Hope that helps.
              Why were they not ranked that way before? NW was 4-1 before week 11.. They not applying criteria then? NW being ranked ahead of HU is fine. I have no qualms with it really. My issue is that they are inconsistent with when and how they apply the criteria, and frankly, i'm not sure they really ever do. They pick and choose. But that's just my gut reaction. They are the opposite of transparent.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the seeding, but there is a flaw in your logic.

You mentioned "the fact that HU was the 4 coming in." The regional rankings are a moment in time. The entire schedule is not built in. Where they were ranked last week is largely irrelevant because they start entirely from scratch every week to determine the rankings. It's one reason I think entire schedules should be built in at the beginning so people that don't geek out on the process and the numbers can more easily understand it from the common sense win and lose perspective.

So while it sure seems like they were dropped, they really weren't dropped, others were just placed ahead of them this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

If you're looking at the tweet by D2football.com, I'm pretty sure that was just to indicate the matchups, not the actual seeds.
                  Yes was meant to be able to see what teams played each other.

Comment

Why were they not ranked that way before? NW was 4-1 before week 11.. They not applying criteria then? NW being ranked ahead of HU is fine. I have no qualms with it really. My issue is that they are inconsistent with when and how they apply the criteria, and frankly, i'm not sure they really ever do. They pick and choose. But that's just my gut reaction. They are the opposite of transparent.
                    I'm really trying to help here. Who did HU play? Who did NW play? Look at schedule. NW made up a ton of games in SOS last week and yesterday compared to HU. While NW was making up games really fast to get to .500, HU was sinking like the Titanic. That's the reason HU was ahead of NW.

Brandon explained better than me.
                    Go Hounds!
                    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                    Cyclone Power
                    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I'm not a fan of the seeding, but there is a flaw in your logic.

You mentioned "the fact that HU was the 4 coming in." The regional rankings are a moment in time. The entire schedule is not built in. Where they were ranked last week is largely irrelevant because they start entirely from scratch every week to determine the rankings. It's one reason I think entire schedules should be built in at the beginning so people that don't geek out on the process and the numbers can more easily understand it from the common sense win and lose perspective.

So while it sure seems like they were dropped, they really weren't dropped, others were just placed ahead of them this week.

Comment

100% agree on the transparency. I didn't want Harding to play NW. I've seen that before. Wanted to see new matchups.

But to answer your question, last week Harding's weighted SOS was higher than Northwest's.
                        x
                        Team Region D2 OWP Road .500
                        Central 10-0 10-0 .474 5-0 6-0
                        Harding 9-1 9-1 .516 4-1 4-1
                        Northwest 9-1 9-1 .466 5-1 5-1

x
                        After the weekend, it looks like this:
                        x
                        Northwest 10-1 10-1 .500 5-1 5-1
                        Central 10-1 10-1 .500 5-1 5-1
                        Harding 10-1 10-1 .500 5-1 3-1

x
                        I have spent the entire week railing against the criteria so I understand your frustration.

Comment

What mattered last week is that Harding had an OWP of .516 and Northwest had an OWP of .466 and both teams had identical records.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

100% agree on the transparency. I didn't want Harding to play NW. I've seen that before. Wanted to see new matchups.

But to answer your question, last week Harding's weighted SOS was higher than Northwest's.
                            x
                            Central 10-0 10-0 .474 5-0 6-0
                            Harding 9-1 9-1 .516 4-1 4-1
                            Northwest 9-1 9-1 .466 5-1 5-1

x
                            After the weekend, it looks like this:
                            x
                            Northwest 10-1 10-1 .500 5-1 5-1
                            Central 10-1 10-1 .500 5-1 5-1
                            Harding 10-1 10-1 .500 5-1 3-1

x
                            I have spent the entire week railing against the criteria so I understand your frustration.

Comment

It's real simple. Harding got screwed. No justification.

Just go do your thing, Bizen.

Comment

No I gotcha. If you take me up on that personal message you'll understand things a lot more...where they make sense...and where they might not. I'm speculating just like you are!

The week 10 rankings were easy because of the difference in OWP. The week 11 rankings were difficult because all the OWP became .500. Wins/losses and OWP are the first things that are considered. If there is enough separation in those categories the last one's really don't come into play.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X