Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northwest @ Grand Valley

Originally posted by Irish1916 View Post
    I am sure that after an evening of telling disgruntled Laker fans to stop the tired trope, you do not know anything about GV football or to stop the bull ****, that BillyGV and Kleshreen are feeling real good about being mega supporters of a mediocre football program. I am interested in a response to my earlier post on assistants under Matt Mitchell that have gone on to other programs and one person listed 6 coaches that have left to be part of Chuck Martin's staff at Miami of Ohio. I will grant these coaches have moved on to better positions, are there any of Matt's coaches that have left for better position other then those offered by Chuck Martin? My line of questioning is not hard to follow. Is going to Chuck's staff a safe landing zone to get away from Matt or have other programs been overwhelmed by the success of Matt's assistants and moved up to better jobs?
    No one said we were feeling real good about the loss at all - also, GV football is hardly mediocre but with your name I'm not sure why you are even commenting and why you even care being that you seem to be an Irish fan - go root for the Irish, another team that hasn't down anything nationally in forever or does that not matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Cat N Mav View Post
      I know I was talking branches. Look, if somebody compliments you by thinking you're competent enough to be an NCO and capable of doing work, you don't have to correct them.
      Ya know he is not going to understand that whole work thing being an officer and such! j/k...THANK YOU IH8SVSU for your service! BUt having said that the cute little Army season is gonna end soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bankslaker View Post
        Alright, after reading through all of this, for those that are on the side of Fire MM, what would be your short list of idea candidates to replace him at GV? If you were the AD/on the search committee, what would be your list of 3-5 possible candidates.

Personally, I don't know coaches/coaching staffs well enough in D1/D2/D3 and have only followed GV football since my freshman year at GV in the fall of 2014, so it would be hard to comment on what my list would be, but I am really interested in what some of the older alumni/seasoned followers have to say on the topic.
        10-2 and you want to fire a coach..LOL...I hope the rest of your GVSU education has been a little more productive than your football IQ. Did you come to the game on Saturday or were you with the other 6000 non show students that must have been at a poetry reading since that was indoors...Shake my head...

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
          You are being ridiculous in that you seem to think improving on a 40-game winning streak and five title game appearances in six years is possible. Based on that, Nick Saban could come in and do to GV what he's done with Alabama and you'd be upset about it.
          No Sabin could not get the kids admitted to GVSU that he can to Alabama. Having said that every other D1 coach should be fired then because they cant beat Alabama...give me a break here...GVSU has an academic success rate that is leading the GLIAC, perhaps people would like to go back to the early 2000s when the grad rates were in the present Ferris range...this whole thought is a waste of time, I feel 10 points dumber just writing this reply..LOL

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
            10-2 and you want to fire a coach..LOL...I hope the rest of your GVSU education has been a little more productive than your football IQ. Did you come to the game on Saturday or were you with the other 6000 non show students that must have been at a poetry reading since that was indoors...Shake my head...
            I was there in attendance, thank you very much. It's not the record that I'm disappointed in. If you were to watch the games this year (like you're accusing me of not doing), you can't tell me you're happy with the play calling and the way both sides of the ball played. That's would be an absolute joke if that's the case.

The way that the team has played the past 5 years I've been here, only one year has been productive on the field where they were actually able to finish a game (2015 with the trip to the semis). MM-led teams have not shown they are able to finish games and seasons. It's really pathetic. 9 or 10 years into his career (can't remember if he started in '09 or '10) and it's been up and down, games slipping through their fingers because lack of adjustments. It was a 4 point game at half on Saturday. It ended up a 25 point final spread. Couldn't run the ball, couldn't pass the ball, couldn't stop the run (NWMSU put up 356 yards on the ground - with the head coach being a former DC... cmon), and although NWMSU only passed for 92 yards, they gave up 2 passing TDs.

Yeah, 10-2 is a good record, but you can't tell me that just getting to the playoffs is okay. Glad we set the expectations high. Just getting to the playoffs is okay. Lose in the first round? Fine. Honestly, our sights should be a hell of a lot higher than just getting in the playoffs.

Comment

I was there in attendance, thank you very much. It's not the record that I'm disappointed in. If you were to watch the games this year (like you're accusing me of not doing), you can't tell me you're happy with the play calling and the way both sides of the ball played. That's would be an absolute joke if that's the case.

The way that the team has played the past 5 years I've been here, only one year has been productive on the field where they were actually able to finish a game (2015 with the trip to the semis). MM-led teams have not shown they are able to finish games and seasons. It's really pathetic. 9 or 10 years into his career (can't remember if he started in '09 or '10) and it's been up and down, games slipping through their fingers because lack of adjustments. It was a 4 point game at half on Saturday. It ended up a 25 point final spread. Couldn't run the ball, couldn't pass the ball, couldn't stop the run (NWMSU put up 356 yards on the ground - with the head coach being a former DC... cmon), and although NWMSU only passed for 92 yards, they gave up 2 passing TDs.

Yeah, 10-2 is a good record, but you can't tell me that just getting to the playoffs is okay. Glad we set the expectations high. Just getting to the playoffs is okay. Lose in the first round? Fine. Honestly, our sights should be a hell of a lot higher than just getting in the playoffs.
              So given the present day concerns lets hear your solution to the problems...give names of people you think are out there that can produce a better result given the restrictions that GVSU places on the team recruiting and transfer wise. If you are calling for a mans job and most likely the jobs of 15-20 other families in the program, you should be able to give us that answer with no reservations. Also what years did you play college football? Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth, to quote the great orator Mike Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                So given the present day concerns lets hear your solution to the problems...give names of people you think are out there that can produce a better result given the restrictions that GVSU places on the team recruiting and transfer wise. If you are calling for a mans job and most likely the jobs of 15-20 other families in the program, you should be able to give us that answer with no reservations. Also what years did you play college football? Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth, to quote the great orator Mike Tyson.
                Okay, so a few things:
                1) I don't know of any. If you would have read my initial post in the first place, I stated I'm not sure who might be suited for the job. I'm not familiar with coaches in the area. So there's that. Start with reading the whole thread first.
                2) There are guys out there that can be accepted to GVSU and do extremely well here academically and still be stellar football players. So don't give me that. There are guys out there that can play extremely well, so that can solve the other issue of transfers right there.
                3) I didn't know that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on something. I'm a student here, so I should be able to give my take on it. Never once said MM isn't a great guy because he is. But the results him and his coaching staff are putting out on the field isn't what we should expect from a GVSU team. GVSU shouldn't be missing the playoffs all together and losing the ways they have been losing (the past couple years are examples, a small sample size, yet one that shows my point).
                4) Finally, I didn't know I had to play college football to know something about the sport. That old thought is ridiculous. Just because someone doesn't play the sport collegiately doesn't mean they know nothing about it, so don't give me that either.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
                  No one said we were feeling real good about the loss at all - also, GV football is hardly mediocre but with your name I'm not sure why you are even commenting and why you even care being that you seem to be an Irish fan - go root for the Irish, another team that hasn't down anything nationally in forever or does that not matter?
                  First off douche bag you might want to check yourself before you run your mouth. Irish 1916 is a GV alum and mega donor to GV. Second, the name Irish 1916 has zero to do with Notre Dame. Go back to school and read some history books old timer.

Comment

Okay, so a few things:
                    1) I don't know of any. If you would have read my initial post in the first place, I stated I'm not sure who might be suited for the job. I'm not familiar with coaches in the area. So there's that. Start with reading the whole thread first.
                    2) There are guys out there that can be accepted to GVSU and do extremely well here academically and still be stellar football players. So don't give me that. There are guys out there that can play extremely well, so that can solve the other issue of transfers right there.
                    3) I didn't know that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on something. I'm a student here, so I should be able to give my take on it. Never once said MM isn't a great guy because he is. But the results him and his coaching staff are putting out on the field isn't what we should expect from a GVSU team. GVSU shouldn't be missing the playoffs all together and losing the ways they have been losing (the past couple years are examples, a small sample size, yet one that shows my point).
                    4) Finally, I didn't know I had to play college football to know something about the sport. That old thought is ridiculous. Just because someone doesn't play the sport collegiately doesn't mean they know nothing about it, so don't give me that either.
                    Of course you should have an opinion since you are a student...any thoughts as to why so few students showed up for the game on Saturday? Last Saturday we had a decent turn out and it was much colder...curious as to your thoughts. And I do agree you know something about football, but never having played it I will tell you most of us that did only think of one coach that way...Now I will admit he was VERY highly paid also...mostly for not coaching...Charlie Weiss. I am old school so I do not get much of the way kids think these days but I will say talking with my kids in the locker room they are gonna do some great things in the world and I hope you use your GVSU education and do the same..
                    Your statement about GVSU getting kids into school that are doing well academically is spot on, we are...we are in doing very well in that arena, check the stats...so fire away us old farts are listening!

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                      Of course you should have an opinion since you are a student...any thoughts as to why so few students showed up for the game on Saturday? Last Saturday we had a decent turn out and it was much colder...curious as to your thoughts. And I do agree you know something about football, but never having played it I will tell you most of us that did only think of one coach that way...Now I will admit he was VERY highly paid also...mostly for not coaching...Charlie Weiss. I am old school so I do not get much of the way kids think these days but I will say talking with my kids in the locker room they are gonna do some great things in the world and I hope you use your GVSU education and do the same..
                      Your statement about GVSU getting kids into school that are doing well academically is spot on, we are...we are in doing very well in that arena, check the stats...so fire away us old farts are listening!
                      We had this same discussion in my coaching fieldwork class. We all came to a consensus that most people (students in particular) look down on the games because "it's just D2 football." Since tickets are free, what the hell? Why not leave at half time and get absolutely trashed at the apartment and go to some parties. The professor is a former Assistant AD at Ferris State, and he made a good point that Ferris students stay the whole game, why aren't GV students? Especially with the type of storied program GV has. It comes down to the D2 again. Students don't care as much. As for myself, I go to every game I possibly can, not just football either (T&F, soccer, basketball, baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc).

I thank you for that as well. Do I have some deficits in football knowledge? Absolutely. Am I trying to learn more about the game each season? Absolutely.

But the academic excuse is old to me. Yeah, GVSU has a higher academic standard than other schools (one that comes to the table quite often when talking about this with friends that don't go to GVSU is Ferris), but there are players that go to extremely good academic high schools that have some of the best athletes in the state (ones that come to mind are schools like: Saline, Clarkston, Detroit Catholic Central, Grand Rapids Catholic Central, Grand Rapids West Catholic, Detroit Country Day, etc). No reason we shouldn't be recruiting those hard. Also schools in Indy, Chicago, and northern Ohio that GV typically gets guys from have very reputable institutions that have great student-athletes.

I hope to use my GVSU education in a way that will contribute to society in a positive way some day and to hopefully give back to a university that has given so much to me over the past 4 and half years in donations to the athletic program, being in the Irwin Club, and donating to scholarships for non-student athletes as well.

Comment

We had this same discussion in my coaching fieldwork class. We all came to a consensus that most people (students in particular) look down on the games because "it's just D2 football." Since tickets are free, what the hell? Why not leave at half time and get absolutely trashed at the apartment and go to some parties. The professor is a former Assistant AD at Ferris State, and he made a good point that Ferris students stay the whole game, why aren't GV students? Especially with the type of storied program GV has. It comes down to the D2 again. Students don't care as much. As for myself, I go to every game I possibly can, not just football either (T&F, soccer, basketball, baseball, softball, lacrosse, etc).
                        Did these students stay for their high school football games?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          Did these students stay for their high school football games?
                          Probably. Couldn't go get plastered in mom and dad's basement haha. A bit different once they're off at college.

Comment

• Last edited by gvLAKER; 11-18-2018, 07:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I thank you for that as well. Do I have some deficits in football knowledge? Absolutely. Am I trying to learn more about the game each season? Absolutely.

But the academic excuse is old to me. Yeah, GVSU has a higher academic standard than other schools (one that comes to the table quite often when talking about this with friends that don't go to GVSU is Ferris), but there are players that go to extremely good academic high schools that have some of the best athletes in the state (ones that come to mind are schools like: Saline, Clarkston, Detroit Catholic Central, Grand Rapids Catholic Central, Grand Rapids West Catholic, Detroit Country Day, etc). No reason we shouldn't be recruiting those hard. Also schools in Indy, Chicago, and northern Ohio that GV typically gets guys from have very reputable institutions that have great student-athletes.

I hope to use my GVSU education in a way that will contribute to society in a positive way some day and to hopefully give back to a university that has given so much to me over the past 4 and half years in donations to the athletic program, being in the Irwin Club, and donating to scholarships for non-student athletes as well.
                              Ask Dr Cole why Ferris only had 1300 at their game on Saturday since the Ferris students stay...get real Ferris has a big crowd when they draw 3000 or half of the GVSU student section alone. And GVSU DOES recruit everyone of the schools and area you have listed. Other schools do as well...best of luck with your degree and look forward to your support down the road.

Comment

Students have never shown up for playoff games. I went from 2001 - 2005, the drop-off from regular season to playoffs was always huge. I believe part of it is that "all" (say for last of season) games are at night. Middle of the day Saturday is not a normal time for a Grand Valley football game and the NCAA isn't going to let GV push the game to the evening. I'm currently taking Master's classes at GV and I was shocked that I didn't see a sign or anything on the Grand Rapids campus advertising this game. Maybe I'm blind...

As an alumni (not a mega donor, nor a season ticket holder), I found the retail price of tickets to be flat out ridiculous. I took my oldest 2 kids (ages 9 and 8) and paid $15 per ticket. That's just stupid in my opinion. Obviously ticket prices don't have anything to do with students attending. I've been wondering for 17 years why they don't make a bigger effort to address the drop off from regular season attendance to playoff attendance. There were less than 3,000 people there on Saturday. That is just embarrassing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X