X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northwest @ Grand Valley

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    Of course.

My point was that being D2 is not the reason. If level of competition was the reason, people would only go to NFL games.

Comment

Millennials, get used to it folks. Also I wonder since the games are all on TV now if that doesn't take away a lot of people. Sit in your house at 72 degrees for free or pay 30 bucks a ticket and freeze? Casual fan? no brainer. Our admin better come up with a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
        Millennials, get used to it folks. Also I wonder since the games are all on TV now if that doesn't take away a lot of people. Sit in your house at 72 degrees for free or pay 30 bucks a ticket and freeze? Casual fan? no brainer. Our admin better come up with a plan.
        Millennials have nothing to do with it.

Average attendance is still higher now than it was back in the "glory days" of the early 2000's. So. Blame that on the 22-37 year olds, I guess?

I trust you are mistaking millennials for generation Z. If that is the case:

They doubled the size of the old student section and it still fills up for 5 out of the 6 home games and fills up the hill on the other end for 3 out of the 6 home games each year.

The home side on Saturday was about as empty as the student section was.
        Last edited by KleShreen; 11-19-2018, 06:53 AM.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Another fair point.

Only team of his that I remember thinking "these guys can do real damage" (aka, on a roll to end the season) was the 2011 team that didn't make the playoffs. After starting 1-3 (those three losses by a combined total of ten points), the kids figured things out and rattled off seven straight...including torching playoff-bound SV on the last day of the season. Heath Parling (after a really rough start to the season) wound up leading the country in pass efficiency. Six of those seven consecutive victories were by 25 points or more. I guarantee there were a lot of coaches (in-region in particular) that breathed a sigh of relief that we didn't make that bracket...no one wanted any piece of us at the end of that season.

Of course, the problem is that no one GOT any piece of us that year because we didn't do enough to get to the post-season. No glory in being "a really good team that didn't do enough to prove anything". Hence, I think your point/question is valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
            Another fair point.

Only team of his that I remember thinking "these guys can do real damage" (aka, on a roll to end the season) was the 2011 team that didn't make the playoffs. After starting 1-3 (those three losses by a combined total of ten points), the kids figured things out and rattled off seven straight...including torching playoff-bound SV on the last day of the season. Heath Parling (after a really rough start to the season) wound up leading the country in pass efficiency. Six of those seven consecutive victories were by 25 points or more. I guarantee there were a lot of coaches (in-region in particular) that breathed a sigh of relief that we didn't make that bracket...no one wanted any piece of us at the end of that season.

Of course, the problem is that no one GOT any piece of us that year because we didn't do enough to get to the post-season. No glory in being "a really good team that didn't do enough to prove anything". Hence, I think your point/question is valid.
            That was a down year for the entire country, as evidenced by the fact that Pitt State beat Wayne State for the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
              I think that's a valid observation, but honestly I can't remember the last time we went into the late season or PO without a ton of walking wounded. I recall Shep we were banged up huge. The Ashland loss.. last year.. big injuries. This year. Not as bad, but even then a starting WR is out and a few on D, etc. I guess all teams have injuries, but it seams that GV gets more than their share for some reason. For awhile it was an epidemic of knees, now it's still knees, but other areas. Again, I don't know how bad other schools have it, but it does explain some drop off in performance.
              Honestly almost every playoff team is missing some big pieces usually injury wise at this point in the season.

NW was missing Thomas who would of had a nutso game against GV with them not being able to cover the outside edge. He's much faster than Caldwell or Strayhorn just not as big. Add in some injuries on the D and they were banged up as well. You just got to keep plugging away. The QB injury didn't help things for GV. That being said GV I don't think lost because they weren't as talented, they lost because NW was a matchup nightmare for them. Being able to seal the edge against GV and then NW run defense is one of the best in the nation. It just made a perfect storm, as your running back looked like a beast. Against most teams he's going to have a great day. Also both QB's looked off but if you look they were getting pressure fast, there wasn't time to allow a lot of plays to get off cleanly.

I think GV was much better than what the final score shows, this was one of the cases where match up wise the did not match up against NW very well. Talent wise the D-line looked great on the passing attack, LB just couldn't get to the point of attack fast enough. GV would match up better with others in the playoffs, and there are some in the playoffs that will be bad matchups for NW. Makes it fun to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                Rarely if ever are there people that ACTUALLY give money that come on message boards and act like this but you do make a fair point, I will give you that. 99% of folks just want to vent and pound their chest and say listen to me I am all knowing..LOL...most have never taken a snap of college football. Yesterday was a tough day for sure for a lot of us...more so for some than others...good luck to the Bearcats, class operation and I hope they felt the same way with us at Lubbers.
                I've thought that before. Most people venting are likely not the large donors.

Also like I stated earlier in this thread, when you call for a coaching change you have to be careful what you wish for. I'm a Nebraska fan, and I can tell you sometimes the grass isn't always greener. (Granted with Frost, it's taken time but he has the team trending upwards!! GO BIG RED!)

Flip side, if you don't roll the dice sometimes you risk staying the same. Grand Valley fans are in that weird spot, they remember the early 2000's and the coach has them in the playoffs enough that hopes get set. Then when the hopes get disappointed people naturally get upset.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
                  well, its come to name calling for you hater - first sign of a weak mind - second, give me a break on the little Irish 1916 crap - yay for the Irish uprising its not like there isn't any connection with the other Irish on this board - if he/she/it is a mega donor and GV alum that's great - so why don't you shut-up let him/her/it speak for themselves - as for reading, I will wager my library is far superior to anything you have - now child, you have added nothing to this discussion, nothing, so begone - lol
                  Silly Willy Billy Gilmore. You got called out on a poor assumption in front of your little football buddies now you're all butt hurt. On top of that you want to have a d**k measuring contest with our at home personal libraries? Give me a break GUY. Clearly that Florida sun is getting to you in your later years. Tell you what, PM me your address down there in Florida and I'll send you some SPF 50 for Christmas. Or better yet I'll give you my address and we can drink some egg nog and hash it out at my place big guy. Your choice fella. Heck, maybe we can even have a cigar. Do you like whiskey? I've got some McCallens 10 at home we can dabble in OR if you're feeling up to it we can bust out the REALLY good stuff. Have a great Thanksgiving and a wonderful Christmas Mr. Gilmore. P.S. I hope the word Christmas doesn't offend you. Deuces GUY!

Comment

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
                    Silly Willy Billy Gilmore. You got called out on a poor assumption in front of your little football buddies now you're all butt hurt. On top of that you want to have a d**k measuring contest with our at home personal libraries? Give me a break GUY. Clearly that Florida sun is getting to you in your later years. Tell you what, PM me your address down there in Florida and I'll send you some SPF 50 for Christmas. Or better yet I'll give you my address and we can drink some egg nog and hash it out at my place big guy. Your choice fella. Heck, maybe we can even have a cigar. Do you like whiskey? I've got some McCallens 10 at home we can dabble in OR if you're feeling up to it we can bust out the REALLY good stuff. Have a great Thanksgiving and a wonderful Christmas Mr. Gilmore. P.S. I hope the word Christmas doesn't offend you. Deuces GUY!
                    lol what is this

Last edited by KleShreen; 11-19-2018, 11:50 AM.
                    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

**SLIDES INTO THE PICTURE FROM STAGE RIGHT**

Did someone say Whiskey?

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
                        **SLIDES INTO THE PICTURE FROM STAGE RIGHT**

Did someone say Whiskey?
                        Yeah man!!! Come on over!!

Comment

Yeah man!!! Come on over!!

Comment

Lol nice!!! Honk twice when you get here and I'll open the gate.

Comment

This is surprisingly accurate for JR.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBearcat View Post
                                This is surprisingly accurate for JR.
                                You still owe me a couch. Derrick owes me a plastic deck chair.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X