Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northwest @ Grand Valley

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
    Dude, coach searches are common. GV needs to put together a search committee JUST like other teams do. There are plenty of coaches that would love to coach at GV and build back up what MM has destroyed. To your point, MM gets a bad rap because he took a great football program and turned it into a mediocre program.
    GV has always formed a search committee for every coach hired and interviewed multiple candidates each time

Comment

A good coach will improve a program. Show me how MM has improved the GV football program. He hasn't. You are mediocre therefore you are ok with a mediocre football program, I get it.
      You are being ridiculous in that you seem to think improving on a 40-game winning streak and five title game appearances in six years is possible. Based on that, Nick Saban could come in and do to GV what he's done with Alabama and you'd be upset about it.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Irish1916 View Post
        I am sure that after an evening of telling disgruntled Laker fans to stop the tired trope, you do not know anything about GV football or to stop the bull ****, that BillyGV and Kleshreen are feeling real good about being mega supporters of a mediocre football program. I am interested in a response to my earlier post on assistants under Matt Mitchell that have gone on to other programs and one person listed 6 coaches that have left to be part of Chuck Martin's staff at Miami of Ohio. I will grant these coaches have moved on to better positions, are there any of Matt's coaches that have left for better position other then those offered by Chuck Martin? My line of questioning is not hard to follow. Is going to Chuck's staff a safe landing zone to get away from Matt or have other programs been overwhelmed by the success of Matt's assistants and moved up to better jobs?
        I don't think you know how the world of college football coaching beyond the headline-grabbing schools of FBS works. The vast majority of assistant coaches go on to work for someone who they have a connection with. But you seem to think that Chuck Martin, a guy in charge of an FBS program, is going to risk his position and salary so he can hire a bunch of mediocre, no-good coaches? Give me a break.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
          More than a few posts saying that GV is a mediocre program. Please list every program that is better than GV...I can list entire conferences that are worse than GV. So someone's definition of mediocre is markedly skewed. Sorry guys, the numbers lean heavily my way on this one. True, changes are appropriate with GV but it will be much easier, and likely effective, with many of the current personnel than unknown potential personnel.

And think about this... people are asking to fire a coach that just come off of a 10-2 season? One with a completely rebuilt RB field, new Xfers on the D and a multi year QB with somewhat serious injuries? Seems like a ton of shuffling transpired post February.
          I would love to hear the story as to why BW didn't get sat, but most know that for decades at GV, seniors get a leg up.. regardless as to what the coach says. Honestly, for some reason, with all the experience BW had before this season, I was anticipating better performances. I don't know if it was injuries, receiver quality, or just mental aspects, but clearly he could and should have been better.

I do agree MM has flaws, but on the whole I'm in the mindset that his skills far outweigh them.
          At most there might be four programs better than GV in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat N Mav View Post

Bulldog won some Northwest hats off of me back before GV was a proven commodity. Let's face it, accepting a bet before the season the season that they'd repeat as champions seemed like a slam dunk at the time. Jim, if you don't wear one of those hats to the game next week, I will take it as an admission on your part that the Army is superior to the Navy. .
            Hey G...Bulldog passed away last year. Thought you might want to know.

Comment

True statement
              We can agree to disagree on this but CLEARLY Navy is better program. Although I will say Army has made a nice turnaround as of late...but that ends soon Sgt.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                We can agree to disagree on this but CLEARLY Navy is better program. Although I will say Army has made a nice turnaround as of late...but that ends soon Sgt.
                Oh, I didn't know we were talking football programs lol. I was talking branch of service in general. Ahheemmm and it's Captain ;).
                Last edited by IH8SVSU; 11-18-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                  Hey G...Bulldog passed away last year. Thought you might want to know.
                  Thanks Brandon. If I knew, I'd forgotten. I've been looking for his posts, that explains their absence. We had a lot of banter over the years.

Comment

Oh, I didn't know we were talking football programs lol. I was talking branch if service in general. Ahheemmm and it's Captain ;).
                    I know I was talking branches. Look, if somebody compliments you by thinking you're competent enough to be an NCO and capable of doing work, you don't have to correct them.

Comment

I know I was talking branches. Look, if somebody compliments you by thinking you're competent enough to be an NCO and capable of doing work, you don't have to correct them.
                      I agree. However, I worked hard to get a commission. Champ knows I'm messing with him. All in good fun.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                        Rarely if ever are there people that ACTUALLY give money that come on message boards and act like this but you do make a fair point, I will give you that. 99% of folks just want to vent and pound their chest and say listen to me I am all knowing..LOL...most have never taken a snap of college football. Yesterday was a tough day for sure for a lot of us...more so for some than others...good luck to the Bearcats, class operation and I hope they felt the same way with us at Lubbers.
                        Thank you Champ, I for one feel the same about Grand Valley. Good luck to you guys as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          At most there might be four programs better than GV in D2.
                          Sounds like a good thread.
                          Northwest-yes
                          Valdosta-arguably
                          Pitt State- historically, but not over the past 20 years
                          Who else is in the conversation? UMD

Comment

Originally posted by Irish1916 View Post
                            I am sure that after an evening of telling disgruntled Laker fans to stop the tired trope, you do not know anything about GV football or to stop the bull ****, that BillyGV and Kleshreen are feeling real good about being mega supporters of a mediocre football program. I am interested in a response to my earlier post on assistants under Matt Mitchell that have gone on to other programs and one person listed 6 coaches that have left to be part of Chuck Martin's staff at Miami of Ohio. I will grant these coaches have moved on to better positions, are there any of Matt's coaches that have left for better position other then those offered by Chuck Martin? My line of questioning is not hard to follow. Is going to Chuck's staff a safe landing zone to get away from Matt or have other programs been overwhelmed by the success of Matt's assistants and moved up to better jobs?

Chris Simpson left to go to Eastern Michigan, and now is at Buffalo. A MM hire, No affiliation with CM

Comment

Sounds like a good thread.
                              Northwest-yes
                              Valdosta-arguably
                              Pitt State- historically, but not over the past 20 years
                              Who else is in the conversation? UMD
                              Exactly. Maybe one or two.

Comment

Alright, after reading through all of this, for those that are on the side of Fire MM, what would be your short list of idea candidates to replace him at GV? If you were the AD/on the search committee, what would be your list of 3-5 possible candidates.

Personally, I don't know coaches/coaching staffs well enough in D1/D2/D3 and have only followed GV football since my freshman year at GV in the fall of 2014, so it would be hard to comment on what my list would be, but I am really interested in what some of the older alumni/seasoned followers have to say on the topic.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X