Announcement

Collapse

Inside D2Football - With Todd Knight and Jon Anderson

Inside D2Football - With Todd Knight and Jon Anderson

Tonight 8pm Eastern

https://www.d2football.com/insided2football/
See more
See less

Northwood Exit and Expansion Discussion

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I hope 8-3 does get you in, that would show other teams that you don't have to beat FSU & GVSU (and you almost beat one of them this year) to make the playoffs.

    As far as growing your numbers there's no one on the planet more motivated than the your conference administrators. Their very existence depends on what they are able to accomplish in that regard, a goal of at least one team added every 12 to 18 months should be enough. Especially if they are able to secure scheduling arrangements with nearby conferences to make up the shortfall in games. Barring that, you can play some or all conference members a second time as an in conference or OOC game.

    Comment


    • I agree the conference administrators should be highly motivated. I hope stuff is work going on behind the scenes to save the GLIAC (and the conference administrators' jobs).
      Last edited by tip79; 10-24-2021, 09:07 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by tip79 View Post
        I agree the conference administrators should be highly motivated. I hope stuff is work going behind the scenes to save the GLIAC (and the conference administrators' jobs).
        As I mentioned we went through this a decade ago and the thing I'm trying to convey is that there is no need to rush the process. With scheduling arrangements in place you can roll with the same numbers indefinitely. It's better to wait and add teams that want to be there long term rather than adding teams that want to use you as a jump off.

        We had 5 committed teams and that was enough to build on. I do admit that we got lucky, but mind you it may have been the work of GSC admins. Shorter University transitioned from NAIA two years after we bottomed out with 5 schools. That brought our membership up to six. We're now up to 8 but it's perfect because we can get 1 game each from the SAC, CIAA and SIAC and raise all of their SOS'

        Because of current scheduling, earned access isn't needed because everyone's SOS is solid

        Comment


        • Originally posted by boyblue View Post

          As I mentioned we went through this a decade ago and the thing I'm trying to convey is that there is no need to rush the process. With scheduling arrangements in place you can roll with the same numbers indefinitely. It's better to wait and add teams that want to be there long term rather than adding teams that want to use you as a jump off.

          We had 5 committed teams and that was enough to build on. I do admit that we got lucky, but mind you it may have been the work of GSC admins. Shorter University transitioned from NAIA two years after we bottomed out with 5 schools. That brought our membership up to six. We're now up to 8 but it's perfect because we can get 1 game each from the SAC, CIAA and SIAC and raise all of their SOS'

          Because of current scheduling, earned access isn't needed because everyone's SOS is solid
          Plus now I believe that Tuskegee plans on participating in the playoffs last I looked, there's been years when the SIAC second best team got EC in because they didn't count Tuskegee with an astrict to account for them.

          Comment


          • States nearby don't really have any D2 programs - Illinois has mainly D3 schools as well as Wisconsin. Nothing seems to change and schools are moving out of the GLIAC - So maybe time to move up - GVSU already has a FCS stadium and Ferris would need to build one - Maybe a move to the Missouri Valley...

            Comment


            • Don't see that happening. We're only averaging a bit over 6000 attendance at home. Need 15k to move up. Would love for it to happen but just don't have the numbers.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                Don't see that happening. We're only averaging a bit over 6000 attendance at home. Need 15k to move up. Would love for it to happen but just don't have the numbers.
                There's a 15k rolling average to be in FBS. There's no minimum attendance requirement for FCS football.
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

                Comment


                • Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                  Don't see that happening. We're only averaging a bit over 6000 attendance at home. Need 15k to move up. Would love for it to happen but just don't have the numbers.
                  As Kle said, there is no attendance average requirement for FCS. It all comes down to how much you want to spend on your athletics program. When GVSU makes the move, Ferris will be forced to ask itself if it wants to spend its money to travel much farther distances to find D2 opponents or spend its money on more scholarships and have a set conference within the Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee area.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

                    As Kle said, there is no attendance average requirement for FCS. It all comes down to how much you want to spend on your athletics program. When GVSU makes the move, Ferris will be forced to ask itself if it wants to spend its money to travel much farther distances to find D2 opponents or spend its money on more scholarships and have a set conference within the Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee area.
                    The other question is will Ferris be willing and able to take athletes at D1 academic requirements...also will the school be willing to spend the money on ALL sports...I have a feeling that if GVSU leaves the conference perhaps Hillsdale, Ashland and Northwood would want to come back to the GLIAC. For now moving to the GMAC has not gotten these teams any farther down the line than if they stayed in the GLIAC.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

                      The other question is will Ferris be willing and able to take athletes at D1 academic requirements...also will the school be willing to spend the money on ALL sports...I have a feeling that if GVSU leaves the conference perhaps Hillsdale, Ashland and Northwood would want to come back to the GLIAC. For now moving to the GMAC has not gotten these teams any farther down the line than if they stayed in the GLIAC.
                      True. If I remember correctly, Ferris at one point wasn't even fully funding their football program due to the cost of their D1 hockey program. I'm not sure if that has changed or not.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

                        There's a 15k rolling average to be in FBS. There's no minimum attendance requirement for FCS football.
                        Thx for the clarification. If that's the case, guess its a wait and see approach.

                        Beachin's points are spot on. Seems like they're going to have to travel either way but the additional scholarships will be felt. That can always be offset with a few OOC beat down games for a check.

                        Just got a new AD who was an all conference football player at Eastern so hopefully he'll increase the emphasis on the football program. (Side note he has a Master's from GV, so he might be a plant looking to bring us down from the inside..lol) Facilities need a serious upgrade if we're going to up our recruiting.

                        Would love to see it. I'd empty the swear jar to up my contributions.


                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

                          True. If I remember correctly, Ferris at one point wasn't even fully funding their football program due to the cost of their D1 hockey program. I'm not sure if that has changed or not.
                          Assuming they are. Football netted $209,029 while hockey netted $106,680. Athletics dept as a whole is in the green. Academics is a different beast altogether. Not sure how D1 academic requirements would be handled.

                          Comment


                          • I think of Butler and Valpo leaving to go FCS - both had D1 Basketball programs. Can't remember what the other sports are at those university. Valpo stadium holds 5k and Butler has that big bowl that they modernized to hold less than 6k. Illinois St holds 16k.....So some work would be needed for the Football facilities - Pioneer, Missouri VAlley or Ohio Valley...with teams leaving the GLIAC ..not sure where we would end up.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

                              The other question is will Ferris be willing and able to take athletes at D1 academic requirements...also will the school be willing to spend the money on ALL sports...I have a feeling that if GVSU leaves the conference perhaps Hillsdale, Ashland and Northwood would want to come back to the GLIAC. For now moving to the GMAC has not gotten these teams any farther down the line than if they stayed in the GLIAC.
                              I don't think that solves the UP travel problem. It's hard to untangle it all, but not all the conference switching is about smaller privates competing with larger publics. Back when the MN schools were juggling around their conferences the UP schools should have looked more closely at the geography to see if they'd have fit better there; I firmly believe Hillsdale doesn't leave the conference without that travel, and probably a few others.

                              Comment


                              • Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X