Announcement

Collapse

Inside D2Football - With Todd Knight and Jon Anderson

Inside D2Football - With Todd Knight and Jon Anderson

Tonight 8pm Eastern

https://www.d2football.com/insided2football/
See more
See less

Northwood Exit and Expansion Discussion

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That info is 100% wrong...who ever told you that is full of Ferris....IF GVSU moved up football would do the OVC and the other sports would be in the Horizon.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Redwing View Post

      Uh, they are already young, so next step is freshman. But it is a bit of a mystery. Especially, since THIS game started well for GV. Well, kind of. First drive, Tech stopped GV on a 3rd and 1, then next play, they stopped em on a 4th and 1. 2 running plays that were more or less up the middle. But next drive was chunk, chunk chunk., with a TD. Then the center went out. Defense was solid for the game. Not sure what turned things around for MTU to control GV's O. Though, a couple of players got hurt, something just wasn't clicking.

      Again, for the most part, defense played pretty much lights out, cept for maybe one late drive.

      Let's see what Wayne brings next week.
      O line is 2 freshmen, 5 sophs...3 of the top 4 wide outs are out..both starting tight ends are out...and QB is playing like its the end of his freshman year...and a new OC...team has one close loss to the number 1 team, defense finally came to play...so yea...it is not pretty but lets see what plays out...true freshman center played like one...but...he will get better..we have a great O line coach now...number 6 team in the country and most GVSU faithful want coaches head....I can see why people thing GVSU is spoiled...we act like little brats at times...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

        What in the Mitchell era has ever led you to believe that GV would do damage In the playoffs?
        2015 was one game away from the Natty lol I agree theres something off with how GV cant bounce back after loses to FSU but only pointing towards the head coach is a bit much IMO.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

          O line is 2 freshmen, 5 sophs...3 of the top 4 wide outs are out..both starting tight ends are out...and QB is playing like its the end of his freshman year...and a new OC...team has one close loss to the number 1 team, defense finally came to play...so yea...it is not pretty but lets see what plays out...true freshman center played like one...but...he will get better..we have a great O line coach now...number 6 team in the country and most GVSU faithful want coaches head....I can see why people thing GVSU is spoiled...we act like little brats at times...
          Completely agree. GV has one loss on the year, and thats to the #1 team in the country. I get alot of people on here got to enjoy the early 2000s national championships but D2 football isnt a giant pile of **** anymore. Theres actual competition week in and week out. The Tech game doesnt worry me much because theyre so well coach. Playing them twice in a year is not easy. The NMU game is more concerning since I think they are extremely bad and have horrid coaching. Idk... I think we need to all relax and realize GV had 1 loss and is right where they need to be to make a run.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

            O line is 2 freshmen, 5 sophs...3 of the top 4 wide outs are out..both starting tight ends are out...and QB is playing like its the end of his freshman year...and a new OC...team has one close loss to the number 1 team, defense finally came to play...so yea...it is not pretty but lets see what plays out...true freshman center played like one...but...he will get better..we have a great O line coach now...number 6 team in the country and most GVSU faithful want coaches head....I can see why people thing GVSU is spoiled...we act like little brats at times...
            Exactly. But better not say much positive about the program or you'll be labeled "fangirl" or the like. Many on here remind me of a sports radio host in Detroit (he's quite popular per ratings too). He gets kudos because he ranks on every Detroit team and many area college teams. The rare time that he's positive is when they are trending towards a championship. It's like a team is absolute garbage unless they win the championship.. and it has to be the national one... no conference, divisions, etc. Except, with him, most every team he's talking about lately is losing. GV is far from that.

            I get that there are flaws and they need to be fixed. But I also get the positives far far outweigh those flaws. Ignoring flaws is not good for the team. Ignoring strengths is also detrimental since mental state also comes into play. And yes, us fans are not the team.

            Fans can and say whatever they want. Credible fans? Well, I'll leave that up to others.

            Comment


            • GVSU announced today that they are adding men's and women's wrestling as varsity sports, to begin play in the fall of 2023. Not sure how that might impact a potential level move, but just thought it was interesting.

              The press release mentions that it is happening primarily because of a large private donation from a wrestling alumni who competed when GV offered men's wrestling as a varsity sport previously.

              GV's club wrestling team has been among the best in the country at the club level for about 10 years now. Seems like a decision that could pay pretty good dividends right away.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

              Comment


              • It's nice they are bringing back wrestling. GV's first national champion in any sport was a wrestler. It's been a while but there is a foundation to build on. Hope they can find another Jim Scott to lead the program back to national relevance.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
                  It's nice they are bringing back wrestling. GV's first national champion in any sport was a wrestler. It's been a while but there is a foundation to build on. Hope they can find another Jim Scott to lead the program back to national relevance.
                  Autumn Rux-Smith might also get a look as the head coach...remember...this is mens AND womens wrestling that is being started...and GVSU is a leader in women in management in the athletics dept...

                  Comment


                  • GV was a top wrestling school back in the day - they wrestled in all the top meets against D1 schools - at on e prestigious event at the time only ONE wrestler had won his weight class four years in a row and it was a GV athlete - several guys were invited to olympic tryouts - several were all-american in multiple divisions - NAIA, DII and D1 - the 70's were the heyday - it is one of the wrestlers from the 70's who has stepped in to fund the program - he has been working on this for a couple years to make it happen - great job on his part and Go Lakers

                    Comment


                    • Trine (DIII) is likely your best option. They are former NAIA, are in a growing area, Has good fundraising capabilities. They struggle to recruit athletically against the NAIA due to the lack of scholarships.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by stealth View Post
                        Trine (DIII) is likely your best option. They are former NAIA, are in a growing area, Has good fundraising capabilities. They struggle to recruit athletically against the NAIA due to the lack of scholarships.
                        If Trine would move up it would be join the GMAC. It would probably be that way for any NAIA looking to go D2. Heard rumor (just talk, no link to provide) about Davenport looking at GMAC. Real tough spot for 5 of the 6 remaining if that happens.

                        Comment


                        • I heard that rumor about Davenport too. If true, they are probably being proactive in dealing with the demise of the GLIAC.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by tip79 View Post
                            I heard that rumor about Davenport too. If true, they are probably being proactive in dealing with the demise of the GLIAC.
                            I just don't think there is anywhere to expand, any NAIA private move up would rather go GMAC. GVSU need to decide if they want to be in a 6 team league and hope they find a scheduling agreement for weeks 2-5 somewhere or seek membership in the Horizon/FB OVC or MVFC. GVSU has options, the other three lower could try to tag along if GVSU goes OVC FB, but not MVFC, but it would be difficult even at OVC level, they seem more like Pioneer level. The UP pair are really stuck with nothing, can't see the Minn D2 being accommodating.

                            *edit- Could Chicago State be an option if they start football? They are a mess right now leaving WAC and not getting into the MEAC
                            Last edited by D2Ohio; 05-04-2022, 07:49 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

                              I just don't think there is anywhere to expand, any NAIA private move up would rather go GMAC. GVSU need to decide if they want to be in a 6 team league and hope they find a scheduling agreement for weeks 2-5 somewhere or seek membership in the Horizon/FB OVC or MVFC. GVSU has options, the other three lower could try to tag along if GVSU goes OVC FB, but not MVFC, but it would be difficult even at OVC level, they seem more like Pioneer level. The UP pair are really stuck with nothing, can't see the Minn D2 being accommodating.

                              *edit- Could Chicago State be an option if they start football? They are a mess right now leaving WAC and not getting into the MEAC
                              Chicago State starting football is about as likely as Texas A&M Commerce beating Alabama. Chicago State's program is such a mess in their current state, I can't see them launching a football program.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by tip79 View Post
                                I heard that rumor about Davenport too. If true, they are probably being proactive in dealing with the demise of the GLIAC.
                                Short of the GLIAC football schools looking at a scheduling alliance with the GLVC - which probably isn't happening given the current GLVC/GMAC alliance - I don't see how the league survives in their current state.
                                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X