Announcement

Collapse

Inside D2Football - With Todd Knight and Jon Anderson

Inside D2Football - With Todd Knight and Jon Anderson

Tonight 8pm Eastern

https://www.d2football.com/insided2football/
See more
See less

Northwood Exit and Expansion Discussion

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

    Short of the GLIAC football schools looking at a scheduling alliance with the GLVC - which probably isn't happening given the current GLVC/GMAC alliance - I don't see how the league survives in their current state.
    The larger the GMAC gets, the less they need a scheduling alliance.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

      The larger the GMAC gets, the less they need a scheduling alliance.
      Exactly. In 2023 the GMAC will have 10 football playing schools, the GLVC and GLIAC will have 7. I doubt that the GMAC/GLVC scheduling alliance will go past this season. The GLVC and GLIAC could have a scheduling alliance in weeks 3 and 4 and possibly play some GMAC teams in weeks 1 and 2. This is, of course, if Davenport, GV and Indy stay where they are.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

        If Trine would move up it would be join the GMAC. It would probably be that way for any NAIA looking to go D2. Heard rumor (just talk, no link to provide) about Davenport looking at GMAC. Real tough spot for 5 of the 6 remaining if that happens.
        Trine is not religiously affiliated which is different from all but one other (DIII) MIAA member, it is also the largest member, and has adopted the adult learning branch campus model, unlike other members, not to mention in Indiana not Michigan. They really aren't a good fit for that conference.

        They would be a much better fit for the GLIAC with like minded Northwood and Davenport, and give Indiana Tech a reason to join.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by stealth View Post

          Trine is not religiously affiliated which is different from all but one other (DIII) MIAA member, it is also the largest member, and has adopted the adult learning branch campus model, unlike other members, not to mention in Indiana not Michigan. They really aren't a good fit for that conference.

          They would be a much better fit for the GLIAC with like minded Northwood and Davenport, and give Indiana Tech a reason to join.
          What? Northwood won't be in the GLIAC starting July 1st.

          Comment


          • I have to think the Davenport Rumors are simply the grumbling of schools looking for any option available to them as the GLIAC ship sinks. If the GLIAC has a future, I think the GV and Ferris move to D1 has to happen. If it does, the GLIAC schools can then go to the Michigan GMACs and NAIA football schools with the pitch of "hey, we know why you left/won't come, so we are willing to restructure this conference from the ground up to make it more even between the private and public schools." Does that pitch work? I have no idea, and frankly it probably never happen. I will resubmit my ideal GLIAC alignment. Football schools are bolded


            Michigan Tech
            Northern Michigan

            Lake Superior State
            Saginaw Valley State
            Wayne State
            Purdue-Northwest
            Wisconsin-Parkside
            Hillsdale (Private from GMAC)
            Northwood (Private from GMAC)
            Davenport (Private)
            Siena Heights (Private from NAIA)
            Lawrence Tech (Private from NAIA)
            Madonna (Private from NAIA)
            Concordia-Ann Arbor (Private from NAIA)
            Lewis (Private from GLVC)

            This alignment is the best-case scenario for the GLIAC moving forward I think. 11 football schools would give the GLIAC a 10-game schedule every year, so every team only needs to find one more OOC game per year which should be fairly easy from the GMAC and GLVC schools. Does this have any outside chance of occurring? Nope, and it would take years to orchestrate if it did.

            Comment


            • Comment


              • I have not heard any rumblings of Ferris going D1. I think a couple of Ferris people speculated they may go D2 independent.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by tip79 View Post
                  I have not heard any rumblings of Ferris going D1. I think a couple of Ferris people speculated they may go D2 independent.
                  A fate worse than death

                  Comment


                  • GVSU is not going to do anything until some of the NCAA division things are settled I hope. If the GLIAC falls apart that is one thing but GVSU has some smart leaders that are going to keep them in a good spot. Dr Mantella becomes the lead next year in the GLIAC presidents council and I think she will have a lot of insight and do whatever is needed for GVSU. That could mean moving to FCS right away or maybe staying D2 and seeing what shakes out. I dont think anyone on this forum truly has a clue. Those that do are not going to spill the beans here. But it is off season as we need something to talk about. Declining enrollments at Ferris would make a tough call for them to do anything...same at SVSU..CMU, EMU and WMU have all seen huge enrollment drops as well...like 25% ish...maybe they should join the GLIAC?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                      GVSU is not going to do anything until some of the NCAA division things are settled I hope. If the GLIAC falls apart that is one thing but GVSU has some smart leaders that are going to keep them in a good spot. Dr Mantella becomes the lead next year in the GLIAC presidents council and I think she will have a lot of insight and do whatever is needed for GVSU. That could mean moving to FCS right away or maybe staying D2 and seeing what shakes out. I dont think anyone on this forum truly has a clue. Those that do are not going to spill the beans here. But it is off season as we need something to talk about. Declining enrollments at Ferris would make a tough call for them to do anything...same at SVSU..CMU, EMU and WMU have all seen huge enrollment drops as well...like 25% ish...maybe they should join the GLIAC?
                      Who knows how it will shake out, but it's undoubtedly obvious that they don't belong at the same level as Michigan and Michigan State.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Brandon View Post

                        Who knows how it will shake out, but it's undoubtedly obvious that they don't belong at the same level as Michigan and Michigan State.

                        Comment


                        • Agreed. That's why I underlined them.

                          It's very interesting times - especially for those individuals with nothing better to do than track movement.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                            GVSU is not going to do anything until some of the NCAA division things are settled I hope. If the GLIAC falls apart that is one thing but GVSU has some smart leaders that are going to keep them in a good spot. Dr Mantella becomes the lead next year in the GLIAC presidents council and I think she will have a lot of insight and do whatever is needed for GVSU. That could mean moving to FCS right away or maybe staying D2 and seeing what shakes out. I dont think anyone on this forum truly has a clue. Those that do are not going to spill the beans here. But it is off season as we need something to talk about. Declining enrollments at Ferris would make a tough call for them to do anything...same at SVSU..CMU, EMU and WMU have all seen huge enrollment drops as well...like 25% ish...maybe they should join the GLIAC?
                            Dr. Mantella becomes the lead of the GLIAC presidents council and she will do whatever is needed for GVSU? That doesn't sound like good news for the rest of the conference.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

                              Dr. Mantella becomes the lead of the GLIAC presidents council and she will do whatever is needed for GVSU? That doesn't sound like good news for the rest of the conference.
                              Well I think she will do what she can to keep the GLIAC solid, maybe get a deal with another conference and if it looks like the GLIAC is dead I have no question that Mantella will lead GVSU to their best situation.

                              Comment


                              • Just noticed that Ferris is playing an NAIA school (Waldorf University). Am I the only one who is surprised by this game?

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X