X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GVSU classification thread

Did they say what conference?

Comment

That's not what the student newspaper says at all.

https://lanthorn.com/86792/sports/mo...-a-move-to-di/

The entire story is GVSU administrators and coaches disputing the claim.

Now whether that is true or not remains to be seen. But there's definitely no confirmation from anyone.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

That's not what the student newspaper says at all.

https://lanthorn.com/86792/sports/mo...-a-move-to-di/

The entire story is GVSU administrators and coaches disputing the claim.

Now whether that is true or not remains to be seen. But there's definitely no confirmation from anyone.
        Yeah but you know how that "disputed" thing goes (see Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley or any other college coach/university trying to hide a big announcement). I'm sure that was a recruiting pitch pushed on that kid.

Think it's more of a matter of when, not if.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
          Did they say what conference?
          The Ohio Valley Conference is on life support so I'm sure that's the one. GVSU would be smart to make sure no one else is leaving the OVC, otherwise they'll have to find another conference quickly. Also, according to the Laker HC, D2 football is a "dying fruit." Didn't know that.

Comment

Last edited by BeachinLaker; 12-01-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Comment

Based on the context of the article and some of the replies of this thread, I'd suggest changing the headline of this OP... borderline clickbait.

That said, the Grand Valley to D1/FCS rumors have been floating around for years. Perhaps the impending departure of Northwood along with the previous defections to the GMAC over the past several years might accelerate the move, but I'm taking this new reporting with a grain of salt.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                    Based on the context of the article and some of the replies of this thread, I'd suggest changing the headline of this OP... borderline clickbait.

That said, the Grand Valley to D1/FCS rumors have been floating around for years. Perhaps the impending departure of Northwood along with the previous defections to the GMAC over the past several years might accelerate the move, but I'm taking this new reporting with a grain of salt.
                    It's been reported in the past but I think this might be real. GV has had trouble getting non-con games and that won't get easier with only 6 conference opponents. Combine that with the GLIAC's intent to make Ferris and GV play twice in the regular season going forward... It's understandable they'd want to leave now IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post

It's been reported in the past but I think this might be real. GV has had trouble getting non-con games and that won't get easier with only 6 conference opponents. Combine that with the GLIAC's intent to make Ferris and GV play twice in the regular season going forward... It's understandable they'd want to leave now IMO.
                      Does GV think they're going to have an easier path in FCS? Never mind football, but I'd hope the folks in Allendale take a look at the big picture of Laker athletics beyond football.

That said, GV does have a stadium that's far superior to many of the existing OVC stadiums and a few of the other conferences out there. Is the travel within the OVC footprint worth the tradeoff of a more consistent football schedule?
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Does GV think they're going to have an easier path in FCS? Never mind football, but I'd hope the folks in Allendale take a look at the big picture of Laker athletics beyond football.

That said, GV does have a stadium that's far superior to many of the existing OVC stadiums and a few of the other conferences out there. Is the travel within the OVC footprint worth the tradeoff of a more consistent football schedule?

Comment

The only sport that would compete for championships in the short term after moving is XC and even that would take a few years. I can see them making it to nats in year one but the top dogs are just on another level.

The increased costs of travel would be offset I think. Having 5 home games, an FBS bodybag game, and increased TV revenue from the FCS tourney would be more than worth it IMO.

Comment

I would say based on your comments and the fact that the AD says they are "looking into it " means its pretty much a done deal. OVC for football and Horizon for the other sports. The truly sad deal is that the GLIAC has NO leadership at all at this time and is not pursing something to keep it together. GVSU has the funds to make this move today. Not sure what the plans for the rest of the GLIAC is. Good luck finding enough games to even make the playoffs after next year. Stacking GVSU vs Ferris has the potential to be sure neither team get into the playoffs? Once again the Lanthorn student newspaper is making things fun for everyone at GVSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post

The Ohio Valley Conference is on life support so I'm sure that's the one. GVSU would be smart to make sure no one else is leaving the OVC, otherwise they'll have to find another conference quickly. Also, according to the Laker HC, D2 football is a "dying fruit." Didn't know that.
                              That's not what he said, at all. He said the GLIAC is a dying fruit on the tree of D2 Football.
                              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X