Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any further information on the rumored move?

Comment

Murray State just left OVC for the MVC, so I would imagine that the OVC is chomping at the bit for us to join.

Comment

Is the OVC in any better of a situation for football than the GLIAC at this point, though?
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
          Is the OVC in any better of a situation for football than the GLIAC at this point, though?
          GV would probably have more options for OOC games but personally I don't think the Lakers will go D1.

Comment

The OVC is in real trouble. They will be down to 5 football teams and could lose the FCS playoff autobid. A waiver is possible to buy them 2 years, doubtful they could get a 4-year waiver. If GVSU moved to D1, they would not be a counter for the D1 conference in sports sponsored for 4 years. Also if the OVC is deemed a non-football conference by not having the minimum of 6 football teams, they could lose their AQ status for all NCAA sports because they do not sponsor a 2nd men's team sport other than basketball. Not saying what will happen but it just doesn't look good. The NCAA may "find" a loophole the keep the OVC from folding.

An all sport conference must have
            men's basketball -AND- football
            -OR-
            men's basketball -AND- 2 men's team sports (baseball, lacrosse, soccer, ice hockey, volleyball, water polo)

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Comment

Scheduling shouldn't be that much of an issue as they've announced an alliance with Southland. Plus, it's easier, though likely more costly to schedule OOC in FCS. And the OVC is seeking more members... some D2. I suspect we'll be seeing a OVC/Horizon league membership sooner than later.

https://www.semoball.com/story/2927308.html
                Last edited by Redwing; 01-22-2022, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Scheduling shouldn't be that much of an issue as they've announced an alliance with Southland. Plus, it's easier, though likely more costly to schedule OOC in FCS. And the OVC is seeking more members... some D2. I suspect we'll be seeing a OVC/Horizon league membership sooner than later.

Comment

Of all the rumors about who might jump to D1/FCS, Hillsdale's name never came up. Ferris State I can see but Hillsdale? Never saw that one coming.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post

Of all the rumors about who might jump to D1/FCS, Hillsdale's name never came up. Ferris State I can see but Hillsdale? Never saw that one coming.
                      They are going to follow the Liberty U model no doubt. They thought the GMAC would be easy...nope...so let try another league...I hope they do, its always fun going for a short drive to play a game.

Comment

Hillsdale? Nope, not gonna happen.

Comment

LOL...will someone please STOP the lunacy?

If Pine-Bluff and Western Illinois actually join the OVC, that would provide GV w/ four home games, and "hopefully" one from the Southland alliance. Those five opponents would draw a "m'eh" from our fanbase AT BEST. From there, our five subsequent road games would take place in a combination of Illinois, Arkansas, Tennessee or Missouri in-conference, and for the Southland games in Texas or Louisiana. Add in game to go get pasted by someone and our travel budget would be insane...JUST FOR FOOTBALL. The Western/Eastern Illinois trips are the only reasonable ones. The Tennessee trips are like going to Tech...EVERY TIME. All the others are even further. We are truly considering this? Seriously? And, this presumes that the sinking ship that is the OVC doesn't actually wind up on the bottom of the ocean. Who knows what else might be coming there.

I ask again. GV moving up: TO WHAT END? Let's pay more money, to play teams our fans and alums don't know/care about, and travel all over hell to get our lunch handed to us, and hope to be significant only in our conference. I just don't understand it.

We have three GLOWING examples in CMU, EMU, and WMU of how unsustainable D1 is with no measurable ROI right here in Michigan. Why on earth do we want to be a fourth?

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

If Pine-Bluff and Western Illinois actually join the OVC, that would provide GV w/ four home games, and "hopefully" one from the Southland alliance. Those five opponents would draw a "m'eh" from our fanbase AT BEST. From there, our five subsequent road games would take place in a combination of Illinois, Arkansas, Tennessee or Missouri in-conference, and for the Southland games in Texas or Louisiana. Add in game to go get pasted by someone and our travel budget would be insane...JUST FOR FOOTBALL. The Western/Eastern Illinois trips are the only reasonable ones. The Tennessee trips are like going to Tech...EVERY TIME. All the others are even further. We are truly considering this? Seriously? And, this presumes that the sinking ship that is the OVC doesn't actually wind up on the bottom of the ocean. Who knows what else might be coming there.

I ask again. GV moving up: TO WHAT END? Let's pay more money, to play teams our fans and alums don't know/care about, and travel all over hell to get our lunch handed to us, and hope to be significant only in our conference. I just don't understand it.

We have three GLOWING examples in CMU, EMU, and WMU of how unsustainable D1 is with no measurable ROI right here in Michigan. Why on earth do we want to be a fourth?
                            I think you're mostly preaching to the choir. Still, GV does draw good crowds for even D3 opponents and week noncons. So I don't agree on that card. As for the other points, I'm there.

Still, there is the D2 v D1 stigma. And don't get on me, but here's a take. There is much indirect value with being D1 versus D2. I don't know how to quantify it... and frankly I'm not sure the value is there. But so many do value the D1 level. For me it's irrational, but when evaluating value, there are irrational metrics. Athletics is one of them. It's those intangibles that drive the schools to D1

Comment

I think you're mostly preaching to the choir. Still, GV does draw good crowds for even D3 opponents and week noncons. So I don't agree on that card. As for the other points, I'm there.

Still, there is the D2 v D1 stigma. And don't get on me, but here's a take. There is much indirect value with being D1 versus D2. I don't know how to quantify it... and frankly I'm not sure the value is there. But so many do value the D1 level. For me it's irrational, but when evaluating value, there are irrational metrics. Athletics is one of them. It's those intangibles that drive the schools to D1
                              Look, Wing, let's start with that I'm not directing any of these responses at you. Would wager you knew that already but want to be clear. I'm sure we're on the same page for most of this.

As for the "indirect value of D1", that's a discussion that's not worth trying to dive into out here. On its face, I still don't see it.

As for GV's ability to draw, I would submit this: Yes, we have drawn well vs. weak non-cons, etc. BUT, look at the time of year of those games. We will ALWAYS draw well in September due to weather and Family Day. Once the calendar hits October and the weather becomes less reliable, attendance plummets. Add in bigger and more important games involving Michigan and Michigan State, hunting season, etc., and it gets harder and harder to draw to the level everyone thinks of w/ GV. In short, if it's Week 6 or later, the only thing that guarantees a good draw is a game against Ferris...and to a lesser extent Saginaw (or MAYBE Davenport). The FSU/SV draw can even be impacted by conference/playoff implications. Just about anyone else we play is an iffy proposition at best. If we go D1, the chance of us having two or three home dates in September goes WAY down. Cash games against big-timers are always at their place. If we're lucky enough to get five home games a year, the hope of getting more than one in September would appear to be iffy at best. Sorry, Man, I just don't see people coming out strong at 12K+ or more to see us play Tennessee-Martin. I'm literally shaking my head as I type that. I just don't buy the premise that we simply need to have a game and everyone will show up...particularly if we aren't winning the vast majority of them.

I'm all for us evolving...don't misunderstand. This is just not the way to do it, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X