Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Really? OU and UDM can't be happy about a potential big dog coming in. Just think about it.
    If GV is going to be in D1 regardless, it doesn't really matter what conference they're in if Oakland and/or UDM are worried about us. So you might as well be in the same conference to make travel easier, when the Horizon is a bunch of schools who are constantly broke, anyway.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Does Hillsdale really have a good enough money line to afford going D1?

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
        Does Hillsdale really have a good enough money line to afford going D1?
        Legit question. I too was surprised when I saw their name pop as a potential member. Lindenwood isn't huge either but it appears that they too are on their way up. Times they be a changin'

Comment

• Ridiculous names are always thrown out in discussions like these.

Comment

• I find it odd that OU and UDM would take issue with a cross-state team joining their conference. While I'm sure we would recruit Detroit, we're on opposite sides of the state. They would also have an advantage on us as being tournament eligible in the early years. It would be incredibly shortsighted for them to stonewall us and give up the opportunity to have a natural in-state rival that is only a three hour drive as opposed to some out-of-state opponent that might involve plane travel.

Comment

• If there is a barrier to GVSU joining the Horizon, it'd probably be the conference's reluctance to invite a D2 team. At least, I've heard that the conference is reluctant, but they did invite Northern Kentucky when they were still reclassifying (after they were in the Atlantic Sun the first 3 years). People on the CSNBBS realignment board seem to think the Horizon is more likely to invite Bellarmine.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
                Does Hillsdale really have a good enough money line to afford going D1?
                Your kidding right? Hillsdale is LOADED....money is not going to be the issue...maybe common sense is if they move up. They couldnt hack the GLIAC what do you think FCS should be like?

Comment

• Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                  I find it odd that OU and UDM would take issue with a cross-state team joining their conference. While I'm sure we would recruit Detroit, we're on opposite sides of the state. They would also have an advantage on us as being tournament eligible in the early years. It would be incredibly shortsighted for them to stonewall us and give up the opportunity to have a natural in-state rival that is only a three hour drive as opposed to some out-of-state opponent that might involve plane travel.
                  Hurts their recruiting in Michigan...and shortsighted is an understatement....

Comment

• Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Hurts their recruiting in Michigan...and shortsighted is an understatement....
                    But if GV is going to be in D1, regardless, then it's going to impact Oakland and UDM's recruiting no matter what. At that point, what does it matter if we are in the same conference or not? It's going to be the same "negatives" for OU and UDM whether GV is in the Missouri Valley or in the Horizon. So why not just get the closer conference opponent?

Comment

• Come on guys. The last thing they want is GV with the ability to offer more scholarships and the inability to negatively recruit against the Lakers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        Come on guys. The last thing they want is GV with the ability to offer more scholarships and the inability to negatively recruit against the Lakers.
                        How does being in their conference or not being in the conference change any of that? If GV is going to be D1 regardless, then it doesn't matter. Your argument would be a reason for OU and UDM not wanting GV to move up to D1 in the first place, which makes sense. But if GV is going to move to D1 regardless of conference affiliation, then what does it matter to OU/UDM?

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

How does being in their conference or not being in the conference change any of that? If GV is going to be D1 regardless, then it doesn't matter. Your argument would be a reason for OU and UDM not wanting GV to move up to D1 in the first place, which makes sense. But if GV is going to move to D1 regardless of conference affiliation, then what does it matter to OU/UDM?
                          I was thinking that their thought process would be...

1. If we vote against them, they might not get an invite to D1.
                          or
                          2. If we vote against them, we can negatively recruit against their long trips if they were in another conference.

Comment

or
                            2. If we vote against them, we can negatively recruit against their long trips if they were in another conference.
                            3) We won't have to beat them to win our conference.

Comment

or
                              Concerning #2, I guess? I just don't think travel is as big of an issue at the D1 level as it is for players at the D2 level.

Comment

• If it's men's basketball we're talking about, Oakland and Detroit haven't made the D1 tournament in more than a decade. During which time GVSU has made the D2 tournament once (as a surprise GLIAC tournament winner).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X