Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes. I'm sure it is news to the GLVC that someone on a message board pointed out that Ferris and GVSU haven't lost to anyone in that conference besides UIndy back when UIndy was decent lol. I'm sure they had no idea that their conference is nowhere close to two of the best schools in the country for football.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Forgive me as I'm not a GLIAC historian, but is the entire GLIAC really going to run roughshod over the GLVC or would it be only Ferris State in this scenario (GV if included)? I thought the rest of the conference was more average than not beyond the top 2 since Ashland left, is that not the case?
      Played against a few GLVC teams. There is a large talent difference. I would say most are equivalent to NMU or Northwood. Which are both the worst GLIAC teams by far.

Comment

Originally posted by tip79 View Post

So your thinking is the GLVC might take the GLIAC teams including Ferris, but not if the deal included GV?
        GLVC has eight football programs, the GLIAC currently has seven (including GV). My scenario that I threw out was if - and only if - GV moved up to FCS. I doubt such a proposal would be on the table if GV stayed in the GLIAC (which is probably looking less and less attractive with each passing departure from the GLIAC).
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Davenport
          Ferris
          Indianapolis
          MIchigan Tech
          Northern Michigan
          Saginaw Valley
          Wayne State

Lindenwood
          McKendree
          Missouri S&T
          Quincy
          Southwest Baptist
          Truman
          William Jewell

Would you have three crossovers? Lots of beautiful scenery from the U.P. to Missouri.

It's not entirely ideal, but three cross-division games are likely. At least you can (in theory) schedule a pair of OOC games to start the season and the remaining GLIAC schools won't have to scramble to find opponents.

Now that I think of it, one big drawback is that the GLVC already appears to have a non-conference scheduling agreement with the GMAC.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Assuming GVSU does make the jump, it's possible FSU may have created a monster that nobody wants to dance with. Are there any viable football additions for the GLIAC in the near future? Would the GLVC really want their teams to get crushed every year by the Bulldogs? No way can they go Independent. They are too good. You can't schedule 10-11 games when you're a top 5
            program in the country

Comment

Its said to see all the comments about how Ferris wont receive an invite to a conference because they are too good. Just imagine if Ohio State or Alabama announced they wanted to leave their respected conference... everyone else would be lining up at their doorstep throwing them money to join. Obviously revenue there is much larger so I get it.

I just see a trend with D2 football where alot of conferences and schools are just straight up afraid to play the top level competition, which only hurts the level of play in the long run.

Comment

Not trying to argue the strength of the conferences, as clearly GVSU and Ferris State are heads and shoulders above where the GLVC is right now.

Saying the rest of the conference would run roughshod over the GLVC is a little harsh. The conference over the past couple of season can be broken down into 3 tiers. Top: Uindy, Truman, and Lindenwood. Middle: S&T, McKendree. Bottom: SBU, Quincy, WJC

WJC would struggle to find wins over anyone in the conference.
                Quincy and SBU could be competitive with the bottom tier of the GLIAC only because they can score. They wouldn't be able to keep anyone from scoring. They might be able to slow down Davenport and their 9 points per game average.

S&T and McKendree should be able to compete between your bottom and middle tier teams (No MI range)

UIndy, Truman, and Lindenwood I believe would hang with anyone not named Ferris or GVSU

And just because I like data, here's each conference's teams records vs the other conference over the past 2 years (including playoffs). Not sure these numbers say a whole lot considering the record can largely depend on who you played form the other conference. I think it's safe to say, the GLVC's top dogs don't match up with the GLIAC's top dogs. Most conferences don't. When considering the rest of the conference however, I'd give a slight edge to the GLIAC, but I don't think the margin is as great.
                GLIAC
                GVSU 2-0
                MI Tech 1-0
                Northern MI 2-0
                Davenport 1-1
                SVSU 0-1
                Wayne State 1-3
                Ashland 1-0

GLVC
                Truman 3-0
                S&T 1-0
                Lindenwoo 1-2
                McK 0-3
                Quincy 0-2
                WJC 0-1
                5-8

Comment

Originally posted by Bryon Ramos View Post
                  Not trying to argue the strength of the conferences, as clearly GVSU and Ferris State are heads and shoulders above where the GLVC is right now.

Saying the rest of the conference would run roughshod over the GLVC is a little harsh. The conference over the past couple of season can be broken down into 3 tiers. Top: Uindy, Truman, and Lindenwood. Middle: S&T, McKendree. Bottom: SBU, Quincy, WJC

WJC would struggle to find wins over anyone in the conference.
                  Quincy and SBU could be competitive with the bottom tier of the GLIAC only because they can score. They wouldn't be able to keep anyone from scoring. They might be able to slow down Davenport and their 9 points per game average.

S&T and McKendree should be able to compete between your bottom and middle tier teams (No MI range)

UIndy, Truman, and Lindenwood I believe would hang with anyone not named Ferris or GVSU

And just because I like data, here's each conference's teams records vs the other conference over the past 2 years (including playoffs). Not sure these numbers say a whole lot considering the record can largely depend on who you played form the other conference. I think it's safe to say, the GLVC's top dogs don't match up with the GLIAC's top dogs. Most conferences don't. When considering the rest of the conference however, I'd give a slight edge to the GLIAC, but I don't think the margin is as great.
                  Love the data but I just dont agree. UIndy is the only one that I think competes with anyone not named GVSU. The rest would be fighting with NMU for last place.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Love the data but I just dont agree. UIndy is the only one that I think competes with anyone not named GVSU. The rest would be fighting with NMU for last place.
                    Lindenwood looked pretty good a few weeks ago...they would beat NMU, NU, DU and WSU for sure....the top half they would be a good game with but lose most likely...well coached, smart team but the talent level on offense was not great...

Comment

Does anyone actually have any real information about GVSU going to D1 or is this just the same old "they should move up!" talk? I've been hearing for years that they are happy where they are- what has changed?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                        Does anyone actually have any real information about GVSU going to D1 or is this just the same old "they should move up!" talk? I've been hearing for years that they are happy where they are- what has changed?
                        https://lanthorn.com/86792/sports/mo...-a-move-to-di/
                        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Lindenwood looked pretty good a few weeks ago...they would beat NMU, NU, DU and WSU for sure....the top half they would be a good game with but lose most likely...well coached, smart team but the talent level on offense was not great...
                          They had a few good players but GV played horrible that game. It should have been a complete blowout. But instead was just complete domination from our defense, which isnt super impressive due to the fact they had a WR playing QB lol

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                            I think the smoke may be turning to fire sooner than later. What I don't understand is why there is a cloud of secrecy about moving up or not. I don't see harm if GV states they intend to, or if GV states they are staying. It's not like the GLIAC will kick GV out if they go on record that they're looking to move up. And scheduling for football couldn't be much tougher. So why not put it out there if GV is moving? Maybe it might mean losing a student or more if the program goes from D2 to D1 if the student truly wants to play at the D2 level. No clue on that one.

But as much of a D2 advocate that I am, I think so many would take an inferior D1 program over a superior D2 one. Most parents and kids just prefer that D1 label over the D2 level. And I suspect an even higher percentage of fans have that thought. It's the great D1 vs. D2 debate and rationally it leans to D2, but emotionally, typically goes to D1. So few look at participation, winning, and championships. Still does have some pluses. I guess that's why there is a debate.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

I can appreciate the take on the conference as a whole, but this part doesn't make sense. You do know Lindenwood hasn't lost a GLVC game yet, right? Including wins over UIndy in '19 and this year at Key stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryon Ramos View Post

I can appreciate the take on the conference as a whole, but this part doesn't make sense. You do know Lindenwood hasn't lost a GLVC game yet, right? Including wins over UIndy in '19 and this year at Key stadium.
                                I wanted to say none of them but since UIndy beat us I couldnt say that lol

And the original post was probably too harsh

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X