Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FHSU at NWMSU Game Thread

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
    A couple of the student journalists posted some really nice photos in the Northwest Missourian article:

https://www.nwmissourinews.com/sport...dd6bfaeda.html

Click on photo in lower left. Nice shot of Fuller after his helmet came off.
    Justin Quick's photo is amazing. It's a great capture.

Comment

Recently, there have been a lot of innovations in helmet technology related to concussions (as evidenced by NW getting their new helmets this season). What bothers me, is players not using eauipment correctly or being more worried about how they look. I watched neither the game, nor the hit on Fuller, however, looking at the photo, the chin strap is still fully connected at the snaps. Which tells me it was most likely being improperly worn. If a helmet is being worn the correct way, it should never come off. Is it up to a team to ensure proper equipment or do the officials check them at some point as well? I have seen a ton of NFL players with their mouthpieces stuck in their face masks for multiple plays this season (not to mention everyone wearing kicker pads, i.e. Michael Bennett). If the NCAA and the NFL are wanting to make football safer, they are missing the easy stuff.

Comment

The jet sweep is so easy to diagnose for the defense because of the motion. When the WR is in an all out sprint, it's a jet sweep. NW has been running it for years and if there is another play in the playbook that uses the same play action, I dont remember it. It's why the play only works about 5% of the time. Not sure why that would be the call on a 4th and 1 your team has to have. It would be like a basketball coach drawing up a 30 ft three point shot when you're only down 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
          The jet sweep is so easy to diagnose for the defense because of the motion. When the WR is in an all out sprint, it's a jet sweep. NW has been running it for years and if there is another play in the playbook that uses the same play action, I dont remember it. It's why the play only works about 5% of the time. Not sure why that would be the call on a 4th and 1 your team has to have. It would be like a basketball coach drawing up a 30 ft three point shot when you're only down 1.
          I cringe every time we run that play. We have had our fair share of "tip" handoffs go awry. The KC Chiefs have used that play to perfection this season. I believe there is a tight end/RB shovel pass they have run on the second or third play out of that formation/motion....?

Comment

Yeah. The only reason to run it is to set up something else for later, but that's a bad situation to do it.

Comment

Agreed.... it just didn't make any sense in that situation whatsoever. The defensive mindset there is to get push so to not allow that yard, so they're going to be firing off the ball to blow up the play in the backfield. The jet sweep pretty much lets them know when the ball is going to be snapped too... everyone is in the backfield. The play never had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtedBearcat View Post
                I cringe every time we run that play. We have had our fair share of "tip" handoffs go awry. The KC Chiefs have used that play to perfection this season. I believe there is a tight end/RB shovel pass they have run on the second or third play out of that formation/motion....?
                Yes, they have all kinds of options out of it with inside shovel passes and different screen passes away from the jet motion.... very creative in how they've used it. Northwest... not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtedBearcat View Post
                  That is the difference. The Chiefs, also Rams, have multiple options off of all of those type motions. NW has 2. You're likely running on 4th and 1. The jet sweep hasn't worked for years for NW. I'd like to see the ypc for that play for NW after year 1. I wouldn't be surprised if it was negative. Jet sweeps can work against slow, crap defenses in college. Not too many defenses are #slow these days.

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                    I'm reminded of the movie Groundhog Day. We lose to Hays at home by one point again, same week in the season, MIAA championship on the line, lack of offense, NW player ejected. "Deja Vu all over again."

Addition: I just checked and same officiating crew as 2017 game.
                    Hesler has taken over for Neibling as the "A" crew in the league the past few years so you will see them at the premier game each week. He has also taken over control of the ****tiest crew in the league. Strange how that happens.

Comment

That's what I thought as well. Fumble didn't even cross my mind at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
                        What the heck, I'll throw in...

I read this thread after coming over to see what happened, like folks slowing down to see a car wreck I couldn't help myself. I figured I try to encourage, those that are ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. Slow down guys there's more football to play, I was calling for our coach's head and criticizing play calling after our second loss in 2012; we then went on to win the NC. That goal is still in front of you.

On the refs, it's a common theme across regions, that D2 refs aren't up to the quality of play. I have to agree that their mistakes factor too much in game results and it's frustrating, so I understand the angst. I didn't watch the game but I feel your pain. All I can say to that is, on any given Saturday, we all have to beat the opponent and the refs.

I must say overall though I love the Mamba mentality, you guys don't tolerate losses, I can understand why you've been the best program over the past ten years.
                        This isn't just a football thing either. This is an all sports at all levels thing. It isn't going to get better anytime soon either with how poor the lower levels which feed to the upper are.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                          This isn't just a football thing either. This is an all sports at all levels thing. It isn't going to get better anytime soon either with how poor the lower levels which feed to the upper are.
                          fewer and fewer people are willing to be refs because more and more people ***** and threaten the refs

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
                            Yep, Refs were not the reason for the outcome of this game.

My take on it is this. Watching the game I was able to call a good chunk of NW plays before they happened. If I can do that, you know like hell that FH coaches are going to be able to read that. NW was very predictable and played conservative. Way too many plays starting behind scrimmage when you are struggling up front. Hays had 7-9 in the box almost all game, there was no stretching of the field or even loading up a side to get less in the box if you are going to try some plays between the tackles.

Also thought this was weird, all year NW has been using trick plays here and there. Didn't see that yesterday.
                            I'm normally the first to get on the refs about affecting a game but NW didn't deserve to win that game with the offensive ineptitude. Sucks for the defense to have to deal with this for a 2nd year. Wright has to make *more* changes on the offensive side of the ball or he becomes culpable in year 3 and loses his free pass. He has another hat he is wearing now.

I thought it was "weird" NW was calling trick plays against inferior opponents earlier in the season. Now we know why.

The smart teams know NW is afraid to push the ball downfield despite having success during the year. Play up and have fun busting up all of the short crap around the los.

Thankfully the league continues to be trash and NW still plays defense because the offense although improved is at best a .500 record O in a normal year which is better than the 3-8 type O ran out last year.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                              fewer and fewer people are willing to be refs because more and more people ***** and threaten the refs
                              Never ever ok to threaten a ref. As far as *****ing, which came first? ****ty officiating or people *****ing? There are absolutely good officials out there. Being consistent and not afraid to continuously call violations are two of the most important requirements. Many players and coaches these days do not police themselves and go to the edge and beyond knowing that most officials are not willing to call every violation they see which leads to games getting out of hand. Have a firm, fast, consistent whistle. A whistle doesn't really apply to baseball which has it's own problems just knowing where the strike zone is. Seems so simple.

Comment

It seems simple, but it isn't that simple.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X