Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FHSU at NWMSU Game Thread

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
    Flohr and Osborn have to go. If not, the NW dynasty is dead. NW will have essentially followed the Pitt State model twice. Once to rise up and the second into irrelevance. Who knew how much ineptitude AD was covering for?
    I'm not ready to throw in the towel with Osborn. Smart guy. Young for an OC at this point, but I think he's going to grow in a big way in the coaching ranks. I was really frustrated with Flohr last year, so I was excited for Osborn when HC Wright installed him as the offensive coordinator. But, then I worry about this one. And, I gotta think this is a big deal. Another name I threw out as a concern with even last season . . . OL Coach Mike Cunningham. Came to us from Winona State. No one bit my concern. It was his first year. I let it go. But, this OL performance against the Fort Hays team that showed up at Mel Tjeerdsma Stadium (which one day it should be) faltered in UN-Bearcat fashion, and this OL has had serious considerations during this season. Our running backs should NEVER have struggled the way they did the entire game. As the OL goes, so does the offense.

Another thing. Someone implied QB Wright had been hit with the flu. He had a tough game from the start. Even when pitchers have an off game, they get taken off the mound. It happens. Don't be afraid of making a change. I would have liked to have seen QB Kowalski bring in his arm, and size into the game especially since the running game was consistently ineffective.

Credit to Fort Hays to come into Bearcat Stadium and outlast this Bearcat team. It never should have happened. :confused:

I jumped on the OL concerns after the comments made by Taxman regarding his own coaching concerns before I continued to read on to see Hookemherd jumped in about the OL before I made my own. Of course, other OL comments followed. Some agree. Others don't. I just stand by what I thought I seemed to see our OL appear to simply want to "hold" the line or what appeared to be more "pass protect" when our RB's were wanting to penetrate into the defensive team's backfield on at least several occasions.
    Last edited by ZubCat81; 11-04-2018, 02:53 AM.

Comment

What the heck, I'll throw in...

I read this thread after coming over to see what happened, like folks slowing down to see a car wreck I couldn't help myself. I figured I try to encourage, those that are ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. Slow down guys there's more football to play, I was calling for our coach's head and criticizing play calling after our second loss in 2012; we then went on to win the NC. That goal is still in front of you.

On the refs, it's a common theme across regions, that D2 refs aren't up to the quality of play. I have to agree that their mistakes factor too much in game results and it's frustrating, so I understand the angst. I didn't watch the game but I feel your pain. All I can say to that is, on any given Saturday, we all have to beat the opponent and the refs.

I must say overall though I love the Mamba mentality, you guys don't tolerate losses, I can understand why you've been the best program over the past ten years.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
        To any non NW/FH fans who saw the game online or on TV. Was it a fumble in your opinion?

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post
            good grief shut up about the refs

NW was clearly not playing for the block. They wanted and needed the ball back. NW player shouldn't have been anywhere near the punter. MISTAKE NW!.

Botched call by the officials. NW player clearly got blocked into the punter. MISTAKE OFFICIALS!.
            The NW defense, while not playing exactly great, did it's part to keep this game in check when Hays went conservative. Grade C.

Special teams D only because of punt return for TD.

Offense and coaching all bad. Grade F.

NW did nothing to deserve winning this ballgame. Way it is when you don't take care of your own house.

Congrats to Hays.
            Last edited by CatFan88; 11-04-2018, 08:24 AM.
            Go Hounds!
            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
            Cyclone Power
            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Comment

I think that was right call too. Still, it's tempered by the bad one that was so obvious.
                Go Hounds!
                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                Cyclone Power
                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Some quick thoughts.

- 98 for nw... Roberts I think.. is going to be special. Get some weight on him and he'll be a monster of a 3 tech.

- Bane has still got to be one of the most explosive athletes in the conference when he has the ball in his hands

- I think the development of NW oline isnt where it normally is as has been stated on here a few times, but I think it's more than just not having AD to scheme. I dont think theres the traditional bulk or quickness we've seen from nw. Did the strength coach leave with AD?

- Hays oline still needs to figure out how to get a push but I think part of that is being young across the board.

- Fuller definitely looked solid and di enough to win yesterday. Was impressive for his first start against that defense.

- trolling aside. Hell of a game

Comment

Originally posted by washeduptiger View Post
                    Some quick thoughts.

- 98 for nw... Roberts I think.. is going to be special. Get some weight on him and he'll be a monster of a 3 tech.

- Bane has still got to be one of the most explosive athletes in the conference when he has the ball in his hands

- I think the development of NW oline isnt where it normally is as has been stated on here a few times, but I think it's more than just not having AD to scheme. I dont think theres the traditional bulk or quickness we've seen from nw. Did the strength coach leave with AD?

- Hays oline still needs to figure out how to get a push but I think part of that is being young across the board.

- Fuller definitely looked solid and di enough to win yesterday. Was impressive for his first start against that defense.

- trolling aside. Hell of a game
                    Roberts is a DE playing inside this season. I'd like to see him replace Eskew on the outside next season if we can find a big body on the interior. He's strong, fast and great using his hands to get off the block. He could get some looks if he continues to develop.

Comment

I'm reminded of the movie Groundhog Day. We lose to Hays at home by one point again, same week in the season, MIAA championship on the line, lack of offense, NW player ejected. "Deja Vu all over again."

Addition: I just checked and same officiating crew as 2017 game.
                      Last edited by NW Normal; 11-04-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I'm not debating whether the play cost us the game, etc - just evaluating the play. Watching it in slow motion, he caught the ball in the right arm then was either switching to his left arm or had switched to the left arm as the defender approached and stepped back to avoid the tackle. That would seem like a football move to me and fumble.

Nick Hess, #5, got called for roughing the passer when Fuller's helmet came off. It couldn't have been a more textbook hit on a QB that was throwing the ball.

D2 deserves better.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat97 View Post
                          I'm not debating whether the play cost us the game, etc - just evaluating the play. Watching it in slow motion, he caught the ball in the right arm then was either switching to his left arm or had switched to the left arm as the defender approached and stepped back to avoid the tackle. That would seem like a football move to me and fumble.

Nick Hess, #5, got called for roughing the passer when Fuller's helmet came off. It couldn't have been a more textbook hit on a QB that was throwing the ball.

D2 deserves better.....
                          Bad calls all around

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
                            Bad calls all around
                            take the intentional grounding call. after watching the replay it was closer than i thought if the ball just had to get past the line of scrimmage. i don't like that the flag was thrown 10 seconds after the play. im not saying they made the wrong call, but it has to be faster, and it can't be because a coach explained the rules to them... there are also too many "judgement" call rules in football. and the officials are not up to making a quick judgement.
                            Last edited by Greenman; 11-04-2018, 11:36 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Originally posted by ZubCat81 View Post
                              I'm not ready to throw in the towel with Osborn. Smart guy. Young for an OC at this point, but I think he's going to grow in a big way in the coaching ranks. I was really frustrated with Flohr last year, so I was excited for Osborn when HC Wright installed him as the offensive coordinator. But, then I worry about this one. And, I gotta think this is a big deal. Another name I threw out as a concern with even last season . . . OL Coach Mike Cunningham. Came to us from Winona State. No one bit my concern. It was his first year. I let it go. But, this OL performance against the Fort Hays team that showed up at Mel Tjeerdsma Stadium (which one day it should be) faltered in UN-Bearcat fashion, and this OL has had serious considerations during this season. Our running backs should NEVER have struggled the way they did the entire game. As the OL goes, so does the offense.

Another thing. Someone implied QB Wright had been hit with the flu. He had a tough game from the start. Even when pitchers have an off game, they get taken off the mound. It happens. Don't be afraid of making a change. I would have liked to have seen QB Kowalski bring in his arm, and size into the game especially since the running game was consistently ineffective.

Credit to Fort Hays to come into Bearcat Stadium and outlast this Bearcat team. It never should have happened. :confused:

I jumped on the OL concerns after the comments made by Taxman regarding his own coaching concerns before I continued to read on to see Hookemherd jumped in about the OL before I made my own. Of course, other OL comments followed. Some agree. Others don't. I just stand by what I thought I seemed to see our OL appear to simply want to "hold" the line or what appeared to be more "pass protect" when our RB's were wanting to penetrate into the defensive team's backfield on at least several occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by lleachieshusband View Post
                                and get fixated on playing your starter: as Shepherd will tell you from 2015, that helps lose you games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                case in point, many of the fort hays games i have seen this year, i have seen fuller rotate in on several series of each game. don't know if that was due to injury, but the point remains. it wasn't a shock for him to be the starter, as he had several meaningful series under his belt in several games before that time came. our backup has seen nothing but mop up duty at this point.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X