Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post

Tim Beck (2010-2019) 82-35 for a 70% winning record for 10 years.

Chuck Broyles (2000-2009) 95 -28 for a 77% winning record for the 10 years preceding coach Beck.

So, Chuck Broyles averaged 1.3 additional wins per season over Tim Beck for those 10 year time periods..
      Just like a Mule fan not to understand what winning means.

Try this on for size. From 1985 to 2005 Pitt State MISSED the playoffs just 2 times. From 2006 to date Pitt State has MADE the playoffs just 3 times. Tim Beck from 2010 to date has made the playoffs 2 times. That is 8 times his teams has missed the playoffs. That is a winning percentage of 20%. I don't care if you win 8 games, if your teams missed the playoffs it's a losing year.

It's about making the Playoffs not winning 70% of the time. Success at Pitt is measured in Playoffs, not just winning percentage. 70% is great if you are a Mule fan, but not a Gorilla fan.

High mark? Yes. But if you don't expect making the playoffs then you won't most of the time and will end up being a Mule fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

Gotta give some of that credit to Lambo, as much as Loper fans don't want to. He was laying the seeds of a successful program.
        Lambo got rid of half of the team in his 2 years there and made them not even competitive. His culture was a fraud and that's why it didn't work. You can't fake a winning culture. Lambo also jumped ship, so no, you don't have to give any credit to him. Look at half of the talent starting right now for the Lopers, they were not there until Lynn recruited them. The QB, 2 Runningbacks, 3 Offensive Linemen, and more. Lambo gets absolutely zero credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSR View Post

Just like a Mule fan not to understand what winning means.

Try this on for size. From 1985 to 2005 Pitt State MISSED the playoffs just 2 times. From 2006 to date Pitt State has MADE the playoffs just 3 times. Tim Beck from 2010 to date has made the playoffs 2 times. That is 8 times his teams has missed the playoffs. That is a winning percentage of 20%. I don't care if you win 8 games, if your teams missed the playoffs it's a losing year.

It's about making the Playoffs not winning 70% of the time. Success at Pitt is measured in Playoffs, not just winning percentage. 70% is great if you are a Mule fan, but not a Gorilla fan.

High mark? Yes. But if you don't expect making the playoffs then you won't most of the time and will end up being a Mule fan.
          Chill Out Man - 'Just like a Gorilla fan' who can't read. If you could, you would have noticed that I merely listed the 10 year won loss records for both coaches as a comparison and starting reference point. You silverbacks can add in all the playoff appearances, etc, and do the final analysis. Doubtful that you will get what you want (new coach). More than likely you will get what the rest of the league wants (more Beck). .
          Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 11-14-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• What's the huge difference from a recruiting standpoint?

Comment

• Originally posted by MiaaMind View Post

Lambo got rid of half of the team in his 2 years there and made them not even competitive. His culture was a fraud and that's why it didn't work. You can't fake a winning culture. Lambo also jumped ship, so no, you don't have to give any credit to him. Look at half of the talent starting right now for the Lopers, they were not there until Lynn recruited them. The QB, 2 Runningbacks, 3 Offensive Linemen, and more. Lambo gets absolutely zero credit.
              As much as I would like to comment, I am going to back away from the keyboard......

Comment

• Originally posted by NW Normal View Post

As much as I would like to comment, I am going to back away from the keyboard......
                Probably a good idea (R)...... go Wildcats.

Comment

• https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post

Tim Beck (2010-2019) 82-35 for a 70% winning record for 10 years.

Chuck Broyles (2000-2009) 95 -28 for a 77% winning record for the 10 years preceding coach Beck.

So, Chuck Broyles averaged 1.3 additional wins per season over Tim Beck for those 10 year time periods..

Broyles' teams played in twice as many post season games.
                    Beck had 2 PO appearances and 2 bowls.
                    2-0 in bowls, 5-1 in Playoffs
                    Reg season=76-34, That's 69.1%
                    Broyles had 6 appearances and 1 bowl.
                    1-0 in bowls and 7-6 in Playoffs
                    Reg Season=87-22, that's 79.8% (2008 only had 10 reg ssn games)

While Beck's PO record looks better, (Thanks to a perfect storm of Rampy's O, a defensive scheme that was new to most D2 teams at the time, Some guy named Brown, and a rare influx of local D1 players looking for a team.) Broyles took care of business in the regular season better than Beck.

More than the stats is the lack of player development and/ or lack of talent on the team. I'm not sure if Beck isn't recruiting talented guys, or isn't developing that talent.To the eye test, Pitt brings in what looks like great raw talent every year, ranging further from home to recruit than Broyles ever did. He uses a lot more transfers, too. Yet, when those promising recruits graduate, they just haven't panned out more often than not.

Broyles put together a more impressive resume using mainly local program kids, and at most positions, those kids got better every single year.

So I don't know if it boils down to recruiting or development, but Broyles was the better coach. Life kicked his arse pretty hard and a lot of his tactics were getting outdated, especially the way he related to players, though.

More telling for Beck is the last 5 years. These are all his recruits, with multiple years under the old boy network staff he has tried to insulate himself with. In that 5 years, they have only beaten 12 teams who finished with a winning record.

Comment

• A lot of locals still want someone with Pitt ties if Beck does go. Personally, I would like to see a fresh start and all new culture come into Pitt.

Comment

• And honestly, I don't know if they will ask Beck to step down and let someone else try, or keep him around like the wishful thinker from UCM above is hoping for.

I do know that donors have been mad for years. That and the empty stadium should rattle some cages, for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Broyles is a HOF coach and the first time he had a losing record, he was gone. That was 2009. They were 5-6. I made a typo.

I think for Pitt fans, a list that more accurately articulates their frustration is this:

2000 - 9-3 *Playoffs
                          2001 - 11-2 *Playoffs
                          2002 - 8-3
                          2003 - 9-3 *Playoffs
                          2004 - 14-1 *Playoffs
                          2005 - 10-4 *Playoffs
                          2006 - 10-2
                          2007 - 8-3
                          2008 - 11-2 *Playoffs
                          2009 - 5-5

I like Tim Beck. He is one of the good guys. I don't want to see him get fired.

I don't know Coach Beck personally but I've always heard the same thing about him that you are saying. He is one of the good guys.

Northwest has compiled a most remarkable record. Fifteen straight years to the playoffs and will probably soon be sixteen. It will be interesting to see if and when things take a downturn in Maryville, if winning 70% of their games and going to the playoffs twice in ten years will satisfy the fan base if the head coach is deemed to be a good guy.

Once you begin to paint national championship years on the facade of the press box, the standards become pretty high. I think Northwest fans want Beck to stay at Pitt for the same reasons that Pitt fans want him gone. You own us.

Also, feel free to comment on the "good guy" status of current Pitt AD Jim Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Broyles' teams played in twice as many post season games.
                            Beck had 2 PO appearances and 2 bowls.
                            2-0 in bowls, 5-1 in Playoffs
                            Reg season=76-34, That's 69.1%
                            Broyles had 6 appearances and 1 bowl.
                            1-0 in bowls and 7-6 in Playoffs
                            Reg Season=87-22, that's 79.8% (2008 only had 10 reg ssn games)

While Beck's PO record looks better, (Thanks to a perfect storm of Rampy's O, a defensive scheme that was new to most D2 teams at the time, Some guy named Brown, and a rare influx of local D1 players looking for a team.) Broyles took care of business in the regular season better than Beck.

More than the stats is the lack of player development and/ or lack of talent on the team. I'm not sure if Beck isn't recruiting talented guys, or isn't developing that talent.To the eye test, Pitt brings in what looks like great raw talent every year, ranging further from home to recruit than Broyles ever did. He uses a lot more transfers, too. Yet, when those promising recruits graduate, they just haven't panned out more often than not.

Broyles put together a more impressive resume using mainly local program kids, and at most positions, those kids got better every single year.

So I don't know if it boils down to recruiting or development, but Broyles was the better coach. Life kicked his arse pretty hard and a lot of his tactics were getting outdated, especially the way he related to players, though.

More telling for Beck is the last 5 years. These are all his recruits, with multiple years under the old boy network staff he has tried to insulate himself with. In that 5 years, they have only beaten 12 teams who finished with a winning record.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jim View Post

I don't know Coach Beck personally but I've always heard the same thing about him that you are saying. He is one of the good guys.

Northwest has compiled a most remarkable record. Fifteen straight years to the playoffs and will probably soon be sixteen. It will be interesting to see if and when things take a downturn in Maryville, if winning 70% of their games and going to the playoffs twice in ten years will satisfy the fan base if the head coach is deemed to be a good guy.

Once you begin to paint national championship years on the facade of the press box, the standards become pretty high. I think Northwest fans want Beck to stay at Pitt for the same reasons that Pitt fans want him gone. You own us.

Also, feel free to comment on the "good guy" status of current Pitt AD Jim Johnson.
                              Northwest could have easily scored 70 on Pitt his year. Im convinced the only reason they take their foot off the gas when they could easily skunk us is because Wright knows "Start killing PItt by 50-60 points - Beck is gone, take your foot off the gas after half time - They keep Beck and NW keeps owning Pitt for the foreseeable future".

Comment

• Originally posted by GorillaBacker View Post

Northwest could have easily scored 70 on Pitt his year. Im convinced the only reason they take their foot off the gas when they could easily skunk us is because Wright knows "Start killing PItt by 50-60 points - Beck is gone, take your foot off the gas after half time - They keep Beck and NW keeps owning Pitt for the foreseeable future".
                                Just no.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X