Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    Good read. The number one thing that I took out it was the shrinking enrollment. Sad to hear. I would have to assume that the population in the area is also in decline thus less of a talent pool. Unless you can recruit nationally to shore up the loss of local talent things will digress.

Still remember playoffs and Pitt taking out East Texas State In the early nineties. Had never heard of them until that point.

Lynn is a really good motivator and coach. Kinda surprised he left ENM because I was told he has family there. Not sure what offense they are running at Kearney but the run option he employed at ENM will only get you so far imho. I know of but Ga Tech Army Navy and small handful of others still using it But, it does allow you to stay on the field when there is an obvious talent deficiency.
    I looks like they are running Lynn's offense, but they've got a pretty dynamic quarterback now. Redshirt freshman, that unless this is as good as he's ever going to be, is going to cause some issues for people. Not only is he an electric runner, he's able to buy time and make some throws too. He had two touchdowns dropped last weekend... I can't remember if they went on to score after those drops or not, but in the two games I've watched him play, I've been impressed. The defense has been solid too, and I think that'll be the key for UNK to go along with their style of offense if they're going to take another step forward. The NW offense looked terrible against them, and really, they held Central in check for a large chunk of the game, but gave up some quick drive long touchdown passes late. Central just has MOJO going on right now.

Comment

Good read. The number one thing that I took out it was the shrinking enrollment. Sad to hear. I would have to assume that the population in the area is also in decline thus less of a talent pool. Unless you can recruit nationally to shore up the loss of local talent things will digress.

Still remember playoffs and Pitt taking out East Texas State In the early nineties. Had never heard of them until that point.

Lynn is a really good motivator and coach. Kinda surprised he left ENM because I was told he has family there. Not sure what offense they are running at Kearney but the run option he employed at ENM will only get you so far imho. I know of but Ga Tech Army Navy and small handful of others still using it But, it does allow you to stay on the field when there is an obvious talent deficiency.
      Not sure what he ran in NM, but he runs the willie fritz option at UNK. (Pistol triple)

Comment

Who knows maybe we all find out Lynn is a heckuva coach taking downtrodden teams to never seen before heights but because of his offensive scheme his teams top out at 7-4 or 8-3. Maybe he is a turnaround expert who can't get teams over a certain hump. Maybe he can't recruit or relate to better athletes and high 2 stars or low 3 star guys. Maybe certain athletic profiles don't fit his type hard nosed, roll on the dirt, type of player.

I for one would love to give him better athletes and facilities and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

Who knows maybe we all find out Lynn is a heckuva coach taking downtrodden teams to never seen before heights but because of his offensive scheme his teams top out at 7-4 or 8-3. Maybe he is a turnaround expert who can't get teams over a certain hump. Maybe he can't recruit or relate to better athletes and high 2 stars or low 3 star guys. Maybe certain athletic profiles don't fit his type hard nosed, roll on the dirt, type of player.

I for one would love to give him better athletes and facilities and find out.

Comment

He teaches Illegal chop blocking? Or chop blocking at the LOS? I havent really heard of many people getting injured by a chop block at the LOS, but open field ones, yea.

Comment

I'm guessing he teaches cut blocking, not chop blocking. If you can't cut block, you can't run any kind of zone blocking scheme effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

Why wouldn't you? From 2008 - 2012 Eastern New Mexico won ZERO games. ZERO. Lynn was their coach in 12 but after he got his players and his scheme and his player development and maybe most importantly his culture in place they had a winning record in every other year. He then comes to UNK. A team that had won 1 game in 2 years. All hes done there is won 8 games in 2 years coming into this year. Beat NW and almost beat UCM. Doing all this in Kearney freaking NE while developing players and getting the most out of them.

Yea you're right why would we want him.
                I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your follow-up post about what he might be. I think you could send Tim Beck to Tahlequah and he'd have them winning 5 games within three years. I'm not looking for a coach that takes a bad program and makes them mediocre. I'm looking for someone taking a slightly above average program and making them elite. Sometimes that improvement translates, but sometimes it doesn't. For whatever reason, I've never thought it would with Lynn. Maybe it's because the last three years of pretty blah Pitt State teams have really handled these supposedly improved UNK squads pretty easily.

I'm guessing that if Pitt State wants Lynn, we could get him pretty easily. Between the salary differences, the program resource differences, the fact that he has no longstanding ties to Kearney, NE, and the fact that the extra-salary earning potential at Pitt State (via camps and clinics) is likely quite a bit higher, I would think Pitt State could get him.

Comment

Lynn seems driven. His players improve each game and each season for the most part. His teams seem to accomplish the goals they set.

All these things are huge positives.

Not sure if he can recruit at a high level or not, but the talent level at UNK has certainly gone way up since he started there.

If he's a pure system guy and stuck on that offense, I'm not sure if he can build real contenders or not. I mean, it can be done, but he hasn't done it yet.

Comment

The veer this year was a colossal failure in my opinion, which was pretty predictable. No feature back, no QB to run it effectively, and no reliable pass option without bringing in a "passing QB". It was painful to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

100% agree. The veer was never going to save this team, but we could be running any offense and the best we'd be right now is one game better.
                      Except if we would have "stuck with the veer" against Central Ok we woulda lost that game, and probably Emporia State as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I'm guessing he teaches cut blocking, not chop blocking. If you can't cut block, you can't run any kind of zone blocking scheme effectively.
                        He teaches cut or chop whatever you want to call it. It's not illegal except when the player is engaged in a block already and another cuts him. I just don't care for it and have seen a lot of injuries as well as l lot of on field fighting due to it. Trust me the opposing players will know all about it the longer he is in the conference. Just my personal opinion that it longer needs to be part of the game due to the high number of knee injuries.

Comment

Lynn seems driven. His players improve each game and each season for the most part. His teams seem to accomplish the goals they set.

All these things are huge positives.

Not sure if he can recruit at a high level or not, but the talent level at UNK has certainly gone way up since he started there.

If he's a pure system guy and stuck on that offense, I'm not sure if he can build real contenders or not. I mean, it can be done, but he hasn't done it yet.
                          He ran more of a wing triple option at ENMU, with the QB under center akin to what Harding runs, so I don't think he's married to doing the exact same thing, but I'd be surprised if he would install a totally different offense.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBacker View Post

The veer this year was a colossal failure in my opinion, which was pretty predictable. No feature back, no QB to run it effectively, and no reliable pass option without bringing in a "passing QB". It was painful to watch.
                            Soft Oline to boot

Comment

Soft Oline to boot
                              This^^^
                              Sent from my GorillaPad

Comment

Horack has half as many carries as Adkins, yet is averaging 2 more yards/carry. Feed that kid the rock! Why is this so hard for Wiemers to get...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X