Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    I agree about the WR's. Many have improved greatly year by year. Am OK with the RB coach, but a little leary. They only really had one succesful back out of the spread the whole time they ran it. Not sure how much of that is on the OL, though???

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    I don't think D-line play got worse under lattimer. I didn't like that they were constantly over-aggressive, giving up containment. Not sure if that was an overall scheme thing or a position coach thing?

Leave a comment:

• GorillaBred
    replied
    Originally posted by Wallst View Post

To decode this for the non pitt staters:
    LG = Larry Garman off campus recruiting guy who has been at Pitt since Adam and Eve were a twinkle in Gods eye. But important for local high school connections and I'm sure BW was told during the process that Garman stays
    JP = not Jerry Partridge, but John Pierce. Supposed to be an exceptional recruiter and has done well developing most running backs considering he probably never knew what we were going to run
    JL = Josh Lattimore - Pitt grad who just came to Pitt to coach the DL this past year. The kids love him and he is fiery
    MK = Matt Karleskint - WR coach. probably kept his job when he showed BW that he knew more routes than a jet sweep, bubble screen and slant.
    It's basically the people who were coaching the players to play and had less to do with our scheme on either side of the ball, which makes a certain amount of sense as our players seemed to be better than our scheme.

I've had the conversation on Lattimer and Karleskint before (interestingly enough, both Fort Scott guys who I think would've been HS teammates for at least a year or two). Not sure why we wouldn't want to keep MK as our WRs are consistently our best or near-best position group and one of the only places where you can really see annual improvement in most guys. And I'm of the opinion that despite having the same guys, our DL play has dropped over JL's tenure, so I have plenty of concerns there, but if the players have loyalty to him and he's a good recruiter, I'm fine with keeping him around. One thing I'll be interested to see is if he sticks with DL or moves to LBs, which is what he played at an AA level at Pitt State.

One of the nice things about bringing in a coach from completely the outside is that if it turns out it was a bad decision on any of these guys, he shouldn't have a problem jettisoning them in a year. We all know one of our biggest problems in recent years has been sticking with guys who just couldn't get it done.

Leave a comment:

• CatFan88
    replied
    Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Wright told them they each had 15 minutes to convince him they needed to stay on staff.
    Seems generous considering the state of football at Pitt St.

Leave a comment:

• GorillaTeacher
    replied
    Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Wright told them they each had 15 minutes to convince him they needed to stay on staff.
    You serious, Clark?

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GorillaBacker
    replied
    Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

Thanks, right after I went to the website to match up initials. Also I thought this guy bolted before Beck was even "resigned".
    I thought the same. I am REALLY holding out the hope Wright can convince Kevin Beard to follow him to Pitt co-offensive coordinator recieving coach?- https://utrockets.com/sports/footbal...evin-beard/606 I feel like the QB's and recievers are gonna need the best money can get us!

Leave a comment:

• GorillaTeacher
    replied

LG = Larry Garman off campus recruiting guy who has been at Pitt since Adam and Eve were a twinkle in Gods eye. But important for local high school connections and I'm sure BW was told during the process that Garman stays
    JP = not Jerry Partridge, but John Pierce. Supposed to be an exceptional recruiter and has done well developing most running backs considering he probably never knew what we were going to run
    JL = Josh Lattimore - Pitt grad who just came to Pitt to coach the DL this past year. The kids love him and he is fiery
    MK = Matt Karleskint - WR coach. probably kept his job when he showed BW that he knew more routes than a jet sweep, bubble screen and slant.
    Thanks, right after I went to the website to match up initials. Also I thought this guy bolted before Beck was even "resigned".

Leave a comment:

• GorillaBacker
    replied
    Originally posted by PittStateFootball View Post
    Rumor has it a few coaches are staying on staff. LG, JP, JL, MK. Others are gone.
    Dear gawd please don't let "MK" stand for Matt Karleskint. The receivers moving forward are going to be way too important to leave them in his hands.
    LG, JP, JL I can see though!

Leave a comment:

• Wallst
    replied
    Originally posted by PittStateFootball View Post
    Rumor has it a few coaches are staying on staff. LG, JP, JL, MK. Others are gone.

Leave a comment:

• PittStateFootball
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mule4ever
    replied
    I mentioned getting an open records request on TeamKong and was pretty much shot down. However, I didn't take no for an answer. I FOIA'd the conference call and due to it being interstate calls and under FCC jurisdiction and not protected by Kansas laws was able to get a copy. It was really interesting to hear when Dr. Scott and Jim Johnson knew Wright was their guy. As i'm sure most of you know, sometimes multiple people are talking on a conference call and the call is not as clear as everyone would like it to be.

JJ "What do you know about the veer"
    BW puzzled. "yes we have deer up here"
    JJ who mumbles "no the veer"
    BW "yes my daughter is in cheer"
    JJ " how often do you run the veer"
    BW " yes sometimes I drink beer"
    JJ " would you run the veer to start the year"
    BW completely lost " yes i believe its important to be the tip of the spear"

Dr. Scott " What do you think of Northwest"
    BW " I hate Northwest, I hate Northwestern, I hate the Northwest Territories, I don't even like the Pacific Northwest"

JJ' Hired"
    This made my day. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    LMAO!

Leave a comment:

• Wallst
    replied
    I mentioned getting an open records request on TeamKong and was pretty much shot down. However, I didn't take no for an answer. I FOIA'd the conference call and due to it being interstate calls and under FCC jurisdiction and not protected by Kansas laws was able to get a copy. It was really interesting to hear when Dr. Scott and Jim Johnson knew Wright was their guy. As i'm sure most of you know, sometimes multiple people are talking on a conference call and the call is not as clear as everyone would like it to be.

JJ "What do you know about the veer"
    BW puzzled. "yes we have deer up here"
    JJ who mumbles "no the veer"
    BW "yes my daughter is in cheer"
    JJ " how often do you run the veer"
    BW " yes sometimes I drink beer"
    JJ " would you run the veer to start the year"
    BW completely lost " yes i believe its important to be the tip of the spear"

Dr. Scott " What do you think of Northwest"
    BW " I hate Northwest, I hate Northwestern, I hate the Northwest Territories, I don't even like the Pacific Northwest"

JJ' Hired"

Leave a comment:

• GorillaBacker
    replied
    Nice piece:

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X