Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
    15-15, and before Don Carthel came along Eastern was starting to walk away with it. in the past 5 years WT has won once.

But i do love the rivalry!

Comment

Eastern i suspect will finish with no more than 3 losses(i hope!).

Strand is in his JR year last year only threw 2 ints and was a serious threat to run the ball.

Losing Cass will hurt but kelley has shown he can find and produce running backs.

Walton is in as the new DC and brought in a 4-2-5. Big change for Eastern. Hopefully this will help them be more competitive with Commerce, and Midwestern. In years past the 3-4 had been the staple with numerous blitzes et al it has been a good defense but when the blitzes didnt get home they gave up big pass plays down field due to having to play man with shorter corners.

Eastern has 11(10 in region) D2 games this season, and if they go 9-2 or even 8-3 they might finally take that next step to the playoffs.
      They face commerce and midwestern in weeks 3 and 5. Hopefully this helps in the having all your soldiers department. If they can come out of that first 5 weeks having only lost to midwestern and commerce, or having beat them i think they can build momentum to finish the season strong with 1 or 2 losses. Commerce game in week 3 might be a blessing, if they can get the new qb before he really gets his feet under him. Their other challenge is going to face Missourin S&t on a thursday game to start the season. Unfamiliar opponent in a cinference that may be tougher than it has historically been judging by harding going 8-3 and making it to the semis last year. Also Eastern will not have the advantage of bringing a completly unfamiliar offense to Rolla as they see harding on a regular basis.

Easterns destiny is going to be very much guided by what happens in those 1st 5 weeks.

Either way i see them finishing no lower than 4th, and maybe if they can get a few things rolling finishing 1st.
      I would like to see Eastern take that next step. They have been so close at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Price View Post
        I would like to see Eastern take that next step. They have been so close at times.
        joe the table is set for them this year they just have to exicute it.
        I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

joe the table is set for them this year they just have to exicute it.

Comment

hounds have won one time at kingsville, them and midwestern have traded off wins here lately, and unless Tarleton has drastically improved since last year....i dont know about that one being a toss up. Eastern beat the pants off of them last year.

But i agree the first half of the schedule is definetly the hardest.

Comment

Agreed. The Hounds must have the toughest 6 games stretch in all of DII to start the season. at Missouri S &T (7-4), Mesa State (9-2), Commerce (14-1), at Kingsville (where they have only ever won 1 time), Midwestern (10-1), and at Tarleton State (6-6 but went to a bowl game). If ENMU can somehow win half of those games it will probably end up being a pretty darn good year. I could see ENMU going anywhere from 5-1 to 0-6 in those games. Where is Bacone, Panhandle St., Adams St., Highlands, Sul Russ to when you need them lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ahshound View Post
                Agreed. The Hounds must have the toughest 6 games stretch in all of DII to start the season. at Missouri S &T (7-4), Mesa State (9-2), Commerce (14-1), at Kingsville (where they have only ever won 1 time), Midwestern (10-1), and at Tarleton State (6-6 but went to a bowl game). If ENMU can somehow win half of those games it will probably end up being a pretty darn good year. I could see ENMU going anywhere from 5-1 to 0-6 in those games. Where is Bacone, Panhandle St., Adams St., Highlands, Sul Russ to when you need them lol.
                Well with that schedule if they finish with 2 or less losses we will get to cheer them on in the playoffs. That would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by rmclean View Post
                  Until we beat Midwestern in Wichita Falls, I have to agree(I'm an ET alum). Nine starters back on the best defense in D2. We're going to be better balanced on offense.
                  Are the Lions looking at a possible repeat Div II Championship?

Comment

Originally posted by rmclean View Post
                    Nine starters back on the best defense in D2. We're going to be better balanced on offense.
                    Best defense in D2 was 26th in total defense, 15th in scoring defense, 29th in red zone defense, 31st in rushing defense. Interesting. I get you guys finally won it all but it wasn't due to having the best defense in D2 in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderwolves Fan View Post
                      Best defense in D2 was 26th in total defense, 15th in scoring defense, 29th in red zone defense, 31st in rushing defense. Interesting. I get you guys finally won it all but it wasn't due to having the best defense in D2 in 2017.
                      Defense was far more of the equation in the playoff games than in the regular season overall. They werent near best in D2 during most last season, but at the end of the season they were as good as anyone. Returning 9 of the 11 that finished it is a nice perk to have. I expect us to have close to a top 10 defensive unit this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderwolves Fan View Post
                        yes it was, that defense played some of the best offenses in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                          Are the Lions looking at a possible repeat Div II Championship?
                          "Possible repeat?" Yes. I think a pretty deep playoff run is likely. Regional finalist (final 8) is maybe a reasonable expectation. Anything beyond that is "possible."

Comment

They were very good, but I cant hand "best Defense" award to the team that played that Midwestern game last year. Best defense should not have allowed that to happen against the MSU offense I was watching that day. 540 yds allowed and 7.6 per offensive snap. Yikes.

Comment

Did they? Eh, sorry not been super impressed with LSC offenses. Remember how highly touted Angelo was in 2014 and they scored 7 points against the CSU-P first team defense? Midwestern in 2015 in believe? I'm not even a Pueblo fan any longer, but the LSC offenses of the last few years are nothing special, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                                They were very good, but I cant hand "best Defense" award to the team that played that Midwestern game last year. Best defense should not have allowed that to happen against the MSU offense I was watching that day. 540 yds allowed and 7.6 per offensive snap. Yikes.
                                Agreed, winning it all is an amazing accomplishment that no one can ever take away from you. It doesn't automatically mean you were the best at everything though.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X