Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    I think the style of play on offense is an issue.
    Do you mean the offensive style they run or the schemes within the offense? I, for one, think their offense is on par with most when the offensive line is doing its job. Their Defense was the worst in all D2 when Whitten arrived. It has improved. but not enough to challenge last year. We will see if continues to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
      Eastern i suspect will finish with no more than 3 losses(i hope!).

Strand is in his JR year last year only threw 2 ints and was a serious threat to run the ball.

Losing Cass will hurt but kelley has shown he can find and produce running backs.

Walton is in as the new DC and brought in a 4-2-5. Big change for Eastern. Hopefully this will help them be more competitive with Commerce, and Midwestern. In years past the 3-4 had been the staple with numerous blitzes et al it has been a good defense but when the blitzes didnt get home they gave up big pass plays down field due to having to play man with shorter corners.

Eastern has 11(10 in region) D2 games this season, and if they go 9-2 or even 8-3 they might finally take that next step to the playoffs.
      They face commerce and midwestern in weeks 3 and 5. Hopefully this helps in the having all your soldiers department. If they can come out of that first 5 weeks having only lost to midwestern and commerce, or having beat them i think they can build momentum to finish the season strong with 1 or 2 losses. Commerce game in week 3 might be a blessing, if they can get the new qb before he really gets his feet under him. Their other challenge is going to face Missourin S&t on a thursday game to start the season. Unfamiliar opponent in a cinference that may be tougher than it has historically been judging by harding going 8-3 and making it to the semis last year. Also Eastern will not have the advantage of bringing a completly unfamiliar offense to Rolla as they see harding on a regular basis.

Easterns destiny is going to be very much guided by what happens in those 1st 5 weeks.

Either way i see them finishing no lower than 4th, and maybe if they can get a few things rolling finishing 1st.
      8-3 will not get it done in Region 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
        8-3 will not get it done in Region 4.
        I'm not sure I agree. Rather, I bet last year is the exception rather than the rule and some 3 loss teams get in (similar to the other regions.)

Comment

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
          I'm not sure I agree. Rather, I bet last year is the exception rather than the rule and some 3 loss teams get in (similar to the other regions.)
          Yea, last year there was a log jam of 2 loss teams.

I will say this year eastern has done a good job of scheduling. If teams perform similar to last year they will have a good resumee if the can win their other games and come out of that first 5 weeks with just 2 losses to either Commerce, midwestern, or mesa.
          I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
            Do you mean the offensive style they run or the schemes within the offense? I, for one, think their offense is on par with most when the offensive line is doing its job. Their Defense was the worst in all D2 when Whitten arrived. It has improved. but not enough to challenge last year. We will see if continues to improve.
            Angelo not Tarleton.

Comment

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
              3 losses will not make the playoffs in SR4.

Comment

Angelo not Tarleton.
                Care to expand? I agree with you 100% just like to hear other people's opinions.

Comment

Angelo not Tarleton.

Comment

I think the style of play on offense is an issue.
                    Personally, I loved the Pro offense Angelo ran in 09 & 10 much better than the Pistol. In my opinion, the Pro is the best offense in football, especially with the difficult wr routes. I LOVE watching it.

But you MUST have the right personnel and it must be taught and called PROPERLY.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                      Care to expand? I agree with you 100% just like to hear other people's opinions.
                      Since we started running the "pistol" we have only had one QB who could run it efficiently. From what I saw in the spring game, I am not sure that QB is on not campus.

Like Pops, I like the pro set but is tough finding enough linemen to run it at D2.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                        Well the Rams had the POY at every defensive level in the LSC.
                        Gave up 22.5 ppg (2nd).
                        Gave up 4.6 yards per play (2nd).
                        Gave up 3.4 ypc (3rd).
                        Gave up 5.9 ypa(2nd).
                        112.1 defense pass effic (2).

They did this in spite of the fact that the offense was last in time of possession (25:59).

They put up some good offensive numbers until you take a deeper look.

494.1 ypg but only 5.8 yards per play. They also turned the ball over 21 times in 11 games. They don't value the football like they should.

They should have controlled the ball and let their defense win games for them. Their tempo was too fast. Commerce only had 111 more plays than Angelo in spite of playing four more games. Midwestern State had 209 fewer offensive plays but ended with only 119 fewer yards. They're not efficient.

I just don't believe the high tempo offense they tried to run is a good formula for winning games, especially when the team has a really good defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                          ... Their other challenge is going to face Missourin S&t on a thursday game to start the season. Unfamiliar opponent in a cinference that may be tougher than it has historically been judging by harding going 8-3 and making it to the semis last year. Also Eastern will not have the advantage of bringing a completly unfamiliar offense to Rolla as they see harding on a regular basis...
                          Um...Harding is in the GAC and Missouri S&T is in the GLVC--they do not play one another at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
                            Since we started running the "pistol" we have only had one QB who could run it efficiently. From what I saw in the spring game, I am not sure that QB is on not campus.

Like Pops, I like the pro set but is tough finding enough linemen to run it at D2.
                            They got a QB transfer from Tech this month that may be the guy

Comment

Originally posted by Armo Wood View Post
                              Um...Harding is in the GAC and Missouri S&T is in the GLVC--they do not play one another at all.
                              Well there i go, sorry, i dont know why i got it in my head that they played. As soon as i read that i slapped my forehead!
                              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Ganso0 View Post
                                They got a QB transfer from Tech this month that may be the guy
                                A walk on @ Tech who was # 4 on the depth chart as a Soph. I am overwhelmed with excitement.

We could only be so lucky if he turns out like the last TT walk on to transfer to another school.
                                Last edited by AngeloFan; 07-25-2018, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X