Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

Too early for me to predict anything crazy for Commerce yet. We return 9/11 on defense though and I think we should be at least sniffing top 10 in overall Defense in the country this year. Our special teams should be better than last year. The QB position is the guess factor. Wilson looks like a dual threat beast but I havent had eyes on him yet, and Wheeler has tremendous passing ability, but hasnt been forced to make game speed decisions yet. Our receiving corps should be better than good with Hobbs at TE and 3 players returning who were very good last season. Our running game should be outstanding provided the new OL players mesh well after the loss of Machorro (which shouldnt be underrated, that dude made the NFL team in Indianapolis).

The LSC is a 2 horse race. I think Midwestern has too many question marks on defense at this point to be sure of what they will be able to do this year. Winner of the TAMC/MW game in Wichita Falls will likely produce the Conference champion and maybe the Regional #1 seed.

I think a realistic expectation for both teams is to make the NCAA tourney, and Im hoping for at least one home game in Commerce in the playoffs this year (preferably not against MW).

Comment

Comment

Until we beat Midwestern in Wichita Falls, I have to agree(I'm an ET alum). Nine starters back on the best defense in D2. We're going to be better balanced on offense.

Comment

I saw Wilson in the Spring Game. I have sources there who tell me all he needs is time to learn the offense, and this was in March. We're going to be much better balanced on offense, and Carandale Hale is primed to explode. He had a ton of combined yards last year.

Comment

Who does WT finish ahead of to get to 5th place?

Comment

Originally posted by 08LionBacker View Post
              Cant argue with that for the LSC. MW has been tough to beat in conference no doubt. Commerce has a goal winning the last game on December 15 again though and repeating as National Champions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              Maybe focus on winning August 30th.....and then each week thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                If Angelo State has a disappointing season in 2018, perhaps Kliff Kingsbury might be available to coach the Rams. That is assuming TT does not win the Big XII this year.
                Hahahahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                  Who does WT finish ahead of to get to 5th place?
                  UTPB, WNM, Kingsville. Showdown against Angelo. I said hopeful ;)

Comment

Lone Star Conference Media Day 2018

The Buffs are such an unknown quantity going into the season. Coming off a semi-disastrous first year, an early win over Pueblo, horrendous injury problems, new staff new system, ran out of bodies because they refused to break about 20 redshirts, and no one knows what to expect. Looking at the roster, the Buffs are young, young, young. That can be a great thing if they are talented. The staff believes in their talent. A lot of good young OLs, DLs, LBs, WRs, a few good transfers, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 or 6 incoming freshmen crack the 2 deep chart. I've heard the talent is there. The staff will have a lot of teaching and coaching to do. Still, young talent needs seasoning. The one thing this team will have, which was it's downfall last year, is some depth.

As a WT fan, if you believe in Coach Hughes and his staff, and I do, you want to see the Buffs win at least 5 this year, but no less than 4. And, be competitive
                    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 07-22-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
                      UTPB, WNM, Kingsville. Showdown against Angelo. I said hopeful ;)

Comment

Eastern i suspect will finish with no more than 3 losses(i hope!).

Strand is in his JR year last year only threw 2 ints and was a serious threat to run the ball.

Losing Cass will hurt but kelley has shown he can find and produce running backs.

Walton is in as the new DC and brought in a 4-2-5. Big change for Eastern. Hopefully this will help them be more competitive with Commerce, and Midwestern. In years past the 3-4 had been the staple with numerous blitzes et al it has been a good defense but when the blitzes didnt get home they gave up big pass plays down field due to having to play man with shorter corners.

Eastern has 11(10 in region) D2 games this season, and if they go 9-2 or even 8-3 they might finally take that next step to the playoffs.
                        They face commerce and midwestern in weeks 3 and 5. Hopefully this helps in the having all your soldiers department. If they can come out of that first 5 weeks having only lost to midwestern and commerce, or having beat them i think they can build momentum to finish the season strong with 1 or 2 losses. Commerce game in week 3 might be a blessing, if they can get the new qb before he really gets his feet under him. Their other challenge is going to face Missourin S&t on a thursday game to start the season. Unfamiliar opponent in a cinference that may be tougher than it has historically been judging by harding going 8-3 and making it to the semis last year. Also Eastern will not have the advantage of bringing a completly unfamiliar offense to Rolla as they see harding on a regular basis.

Easterns destiny is going to be very much guided by what happens in those 1st 5 weeks.

Either way i see them finishing no lower than 4th, and maybe if they can get a few things rolling finishing 1st.
                        I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                          The Buffs are such an unknown quantity going into the season. Coming off a semi-disastrous first year, an early win over Pueblo, horrendous injury problems, new staff new system, ran out of bodies because they refused to break about 20 redshirts, and no one knows what to expect. Looking at the roster, the Buffs are young, young, young. That can be a great thing if they are talented. The staff believes in their talent. A lot of good young OLs, DLs, LBs, WRs, a few good transfers, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 or 6 incoming freshmen crack the 2 deep chart. I've heard the talent is there. The staff will have a lot of teaching and coaching to do. Still, young talent needs seasoning. The one thing this team will have, which was it's downfall last year, is some depth.

As a WT fan, if you believe in Coach Hughes and his staff, and I do, you want to see the Buffs win at least 5 this year, but no less than 4. And, be competitive
                          I believe 4 coaches have moved on to other jobs. Have you heard anything on replacements?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                            I believe 4 coaches have moved on to other jobs. Have you heard anything on replacements?
                            No. I see that J.T. Hadden, asst HC and DL, Miles Kochevar, DC, Ryan Mcdonough, OC, Cooper Bassett, OL, and Rodney Freeman, RB, are all back. I think Markelie Martin, OLB may be new. And several of the GA and non-paid positions may be new. The main cogs are still in place.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                              No. I see that J.T. Hadden, asst HC and DL, Miles Kochevar, DC, Ryan Mcdonough, OC, Cooper Bassett, OL, and Rodney Freeman, RB, are all back. I think Markelie Martin, OLB may be new. And several of the GA and non-paid positions may be new. The main cogs are still in place.
                              Ok. Just never saw anything on the jobs publicly. I think Markelle Martin just recently left for another job.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                                Maybe focus on winning August 30th.....and then each week thereafter.
                                Maybe read thread being about season predictions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X