Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    On Augustana's half-time show, Vik's longtime broadcaster Jeff Fylling and colors man/ HOF quarterback John Schultz spoke at length about Scott Underwood who were both at AU during Scott's playing and coaching career. They both had high praise for Scott's coaching ability and moral compass, plus his recruiting prowess in Wisconsin. They also pointed out OC Doug Patterson for his recruiting skill in the TC and the rest of MN. They pointed out western MN. produces plenty of talent. Both men said Underwood's teams will play D and run the ball well and believe that you can win at SMSU. You may not remember this before current Augie coach Jerry Olszewski was hired, they tried to lure Scott away from SCSU with no avail.
    You can already see Underwood's work with the Defense and improvements. Still a ways to go, but it was night and day

Comment

• New backup QB on the 2 deep - no longer Krause --- now John Romero out of Modesto, California

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
        New backup QB on the 2 deep - no longer Krause --- now John Romero out of Modesto, California
        Good catch.

Never noticed how young the QB room is...Romero and Krause are the oldest on the roster as sophomores. And Krause definitely seems to be the odd man out in stature and (likely) play styles.

Comment

• Well, we got win #1 on the season. Lots to like, but the air game leaves some to be desired. What's going on? Do we even have a passing TD this season yet?

On the ground we seem to have multiple options with Sherwood being the clear leader. He had another big TD run.

Defense is scrappy. Two field goals and no-TDs makes me very happy. Looked like a couple fumble recoveries, and I hear Onte had a bunch of tackles.

Expecting another win next week. Happy for Coach Underwood getting #1, hopefully the first of several this season and many more to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            Well, we got win #1 on the season. Lots to like, but the air game leaves some to be desired. What's going on? Do we even have a passing TD this season yet.
            Passing game is a concern, but not sure if we have better options.

Comment

• Passing game will be fine long term. Frankly, Sherwood is as good as any back in the league so running the ball makes sense. and the line is improved in the running game.

Plus we don't have a great pass rush so extending the game and keeping the defense off the field makes sense at this time. That may change over the season, but for now it makse sense

Comment

Passing game will be fine long term. Frankly, Sherwood is as good as any back in the league so running the ball makes sense. and the line is improved in the running game.

Plus we don't have a great pass rush so extending the game and keeping the defense off the field makes sense at this time. That may change over the season, but for now it makse sense
                as the passing game goes, we saw Eric Lira's speed on the jet sweep Td rush. he's gonna be a good receiver when he gets some reps

Comment

• seeing some nice things from some of the young guys on defense. There are gonna be some challenges, but overall there is some promise.

Comment

seeing some nice things from some of the young guys on defense. There are gonna be some challenges, but overall there is some promise.
                    For sure! I think we have a lot of youth on the roster that will only get better with reps. That's kinda a silver lining of all the roster defects. Yeah we're young at the moment, but these guys are gaining tons of experience, and holding their own so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

For sure! I think we have a lot of youth on the roster that will only get better with reps. That's kinda a silver lining of all the roster defects. Yeah we're young at the moment, but these guys are gaining tons of experience, and holding their own so far.
                      If Underwood pulls out a win in Bismarck I think its time to reevaluate Mary's program. Love what Jack Nelson has brought to the basketball team, excellent gritty culture and just brought in one of the top NSIC recruiting classes. Bagnell has had 4 years to build a foundation. Results have not followed, looked like Logan Nelson played hurt in the second half vs. Winona no clue why he stayed in. Mind boggling, should be a good game.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

If Underwood pulls out a win in Bismarck I think its time to reevaluate Mary's program. Love what Jack Nelson has brought to the basketball team, excellent gritty culture and just brought in one of the top NSIC recruiting classes. Bagnell has had 4 years to build a foundation. Results have not followed, looked like Logan Nelson played hurt in the second half vs. Winona no clue why he stayed in. Mind boggling, should be a good game.
                        Interesting. From afar i think Bagnell is doing pretty well.

Comment

Interesting. From afar i think Bagnell is doing pretty well.
                          Year 1 - 1-10
                          Year 2 - 2-9
                          Year 3 -Covid Year
                          Year 4- 4-7

I guess that raises the question what is considered good? As Witt said in his Pre Season Preview, Defence has not improved enough but I expect better play calling for Kittner and Smalls, left a lot on the table 1st couple of games. Hoping we can get in the win column Saturday. Underwood has really got you guys playing hard.

Comment

Passing game will be fine long term. Frankly, Sherwood is as good as any back in the league so running the ball makes sense. and the line is improved in the running game.

For sure. I'm definitely not ready to throw the towel in on our QB after two games. We seem to have some stability at defense finally, was hoping to see it matched on offense - but it's all a work in progress.

I think this week will be a test, but we can handle it.

Sherwood wins OPOW honors - not a surprise there, he's great.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Year 1 - 1-10
                              Year 2 - 2-9
                              Year 3 -Covid Year
                              Year 4- 4-7

I guess that raises the question what is considered good? As Witt said in his Pre Season Preview, Defence has not improved enough but I expect better play calling for Kittner and Smalls, left a lot on the table 1st couple of games. Hoping we can get in the win column Saturday. Underwood has really got you guys playing hard.
                              It sucks to hear it, but I think expecting conference dominance at Mary isn't realistic. What those records show me is that Bagnell has his program improving. Right now, that's about all you can ask for. I don't think anyone else would have the program in a better position.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

It sucks to hear it, but I think expecting conference dominance at Mary isn't realistic. What those records show me is that Bagnell has his program improving. Right now, that's about all you can ask for. I don't think anyone else would have the program in a better position.
                                To piggyback on this, I think you have to look at the losses that Mary did have last year. Sure, they only won 4 games but they were competitive in many others. And they were extremely entertaining. If you look back at recent seasons, how many noncompetitive games did they have? I don't know that Mary can ever get to the point of regularly contending for conference championships, but being competitive is the first step.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X