Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 WCHA Hockey

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
    Yeah, I will admit, I didn't pay real close attention to the part of the game I saw, but there seemed to be some "head hunting" going on. Not sure if UMass was trying to establish a physical presence since it is perceived by western teams that eastern teams can be soft? But man, in the National Semifinals to see that many contact to the head calls, and some that were missed as well..... Ugh.
    I just read on Twitter that the UMass player who threw the elbow but didn't get called is now suspended for the championship game. I would think this would make UMD the favorites for tomorrow night.

Eastern teams aren't soft, they're just dirty. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      I just read on Twitter that the UMass player who threw the elbow but didn't get called is now suspended for the championship game. I would think this would make UMD the favorites for tomorrow night.

Eastern teams aren't soft, they're just dirty. :laugh:
      Yep, here is the USCHO article on the suspension and it has video in it as well.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/04/12/nca...pionship-game/
      Millsy

Comment

Yep, here is the USCHO article on the suspension and it has video in it as well.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/04/12/nca...pionship-game/
        No gray area there. As I said, the guy's own mother could have called that shot.

Comment

End of the first period. UMD 1, UMass 0, UMD leads in shots 14 to 5.

UMD on a power play goal, UMass did nothing on their power play. UMD went on their second power play with 1:23 to go in the first but didn't score again.

Comment

End of the second period. UMD 2 UMass 0. Bulldogs score in the last five minutes, then hold off the UMass power play. Meanwhile, UMass is called for another penalty in the final seconds.

Comment

FINAL- UMD 3 UMass 0. Bulldogs dominate throughout, were the far better team. UMass could do nothing on the power play- 0-4.

Back to back championships for UMD.

Comment

Read the other day on an NCAA proposal to try and cut down on the number of Graduate Transfers that are occurring in Basketball and Football, and wondering if it would carry over into hockey. Basically, if a team took a Grad Transfer on, it would count against the team's scholarship limit for two years unless said transfer got their graduate degree. The NCAA has heard concerns from some schools that the grad transfer rule has basically become a free agency process.

Interesting thought, I kind of like it.
                Millsy

Comment

Once again, the NCAA doesn't realize that Allentown wasn't even in the Midwest during the French and Indian War. There should always be two regional games out west.

Comment

Once again, the NCAA doesn't realize that Allentown wasn't even in the Midwest during the French and Indian War. There should always be two regional games out west.

No one wants to bid on it other than Penn State and Allentown. And frankly, I can't blame them. All you have to do is look at the NCAA's RFP for the regionals (or the Frozen Four for that matter), and it is difficult for a facility and host to make any money off of it. And if they do, the hassle of kicking out the regular tenants from an arena, as most of them are hitting the home stretch of the regular season, can be a pain in the a** as well.

North Dakota is about the only one that will bid on it here in our region, although I wish they would use the Denny Sanford center in Sioux Falls over Scheels Arena in Fargo like they did a few years back (more seating, especially if the Hawks make it). Even the Gophers have declined on using the Xcel Center here as of late.
                    Millsy

Comment

Busy day with the NCAA in terms of hockey. New recruiting timelines/rules have been released:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ng-Changes.php

"The most significant change regards verbal commitments, which now will not be allowed until August 1 of a player's junior year of high school."

"Coaches were always prevented from initiating contact with prospective players until Jan. 1 of their sophomore year of high school. But a player could always initiate the contact on their own, which would then lead to verbal commits. Now, a coach may not talk to any player until Jan. 1 of the sophomore year, even if the player tries to initiate the contact. Unofficial visits are also barred."
                      Last edited by Millsy; 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM.
                      Millsy

Comment

These requirements are pretty steep. No wonder the regionals are so unbalanced in favor of the East.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/04/29/und...egional-sites/

Comment

These requirements are pretty steep. No wonder the regionals are so unbalanced in favor of the East.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/04/29/und...egional-sites/
                          Yep. I see Loveland, CO is in the mix with the new announcements, we will see if they bid on any more after realizing what it all takes.....

When BSU was in the CHA, the CHA hosted the 2007 Frozen Four with the St. Louis Visitors Bureau. I did a little side work with the CHA during that time, so I got to be involved with the Frozen Four. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be at the games. I did get to see some hockey, just not as much as I would have like.
                          Millsy

Comment

Yep. I see Loveland, CO is in the mix with the new announcements, we will see if they bid on any more after realizing what it all takes.....

When BSU was in the CHA, the CHA hosted the 2007 Frozen Four with the St. Louis Visitors Bureau. I did a little side work with the CHA during that time, so I got to be involved with the Frozen Four. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be at the games. I did get to see some hockey, just not as much as I would have like.
                            There are a lot of politics, a lot of palm greasing, and a lot of underhanded deals with these tournaments. The NCAA gets the big piece of the pie- the players the crumbs.

Comment

There are a lot of politics, a lot of palm greasing, and a lot of underhanded deals with these tournaments. The NCAA gets the big piece of the pie- the players the crumbs.
                              And teams like BSU and Mankato, even though they are D-I hockey, get none of the pie as the pie only goes to full D-I schools. So in the current WCHA, Bowling Green is the only team that would get a cut of any of the profits from the D-I tournament.

If a team makes the tournament, the NCAA covers the costs associated with that (hotel, travel, meal stipend), but that is it.

At least that is how it was explained to me.....
                              Millsy

Comment

And teams like BSU and Mankato, even though they are D-I hockey, get none of the pie as the pie only goes to full D-I schools. So in the current WCHA, Bowling Green is the only team that would get a cut of any of the profits from the D-I tournament.

If a team makes the tournament, the NCAA covers the costs associated with that (hotel, travel, meal stipend), but that is it.

At least that is how it was explained to me.....
                                Wow. I had no idea. I thought it was split up like the NCAA basketball tournament was. That sucks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X