X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penguins87
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Unfortunately for WLU, Smith will never again be 100%. Injury was devastating and nearly ended his career.

Dalton Bolon is going to be a shooting star.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

It's hard picking your top five jump shooters when you have a team made up of jump shooters. Bottom line...we need them to collectively hit over 40%!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Chevydude89 View Post
    Brandon smith can shoot the 3 i put him after clay
    I agree. Don't know how I forgot him. Before his injury he was over 40%. Once he is back to 100% look out! He could push the starting 5 for minutes. I also like the way he finishes inside after contact.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Who will be our best, most consistent 3 PT shooters? My thoughts-
    1. Monterosa
    2. Clay
    3. Bolon - saw video of him hitting 31 3s in a row. One of best in ohio at all star game
    4. French, Brady, Griffin, meininger
    5 everyone else
    1. Montie - He actually shot the 3 ball very well last season...he just needs to have confidence and let them fly!!
    2a. Clay - We'll see if there is a sophomore slump but there was a lot to like there! I'd like to see him shoot a little better from 3 but that should be "fixed" with several thousand jump shots this off season!
    2b. French - IF he regains his stroke from 15/16!
    4. Brady - He's streaky but when he's hitting, he's deadly. He really needs to know what he's on the court to do...run the offense...distribute the ball...drive to the hole. It will be up to Howlett to recognize when Brady is hot and move him to SG!
    5. Primmer - I like his stroke and believe he could be productive if given the chance. For some reason, his playing time has been cut dramatically as the last two seasons have gone by. I think he could be a consistent low/mid teen scorer if his minutes don't fall off to effectively zero!

Beyond those six, I'd rather not see anyone taking a huge number of 3's. Most important for them will be recognizing when they have the open shot and draining them.

Leave a comment:

• Chevydude89
    replied

Definitely need to bring in a big guy that can play west lib style ball though

Leave a comment:

• Chevydude89
    replied

Brandon smith can shoot the 3 i put him after clay

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    You can combat size somewhat by hitting a very high % of your shots...not many chances to lose the rebounding battle when the ball is falling through the bottom of the net. That's all well and good on the offensive end but the only counter on the defensive end is stealing the ball before they can shoot it. Looks like we will see because we are incredibly short heading into next year! To win with such a short lineup, we are going to need to play blinding fast...hit a big % of our 3 tries...trade 3's for 2's...and force a lot of turnovers. We've done each of those in the past so we have the ability, but there is very little margin for error.

The returning seniors need to have the team in the gym ever day starting today!!!!! The air at the ARSC needs to be filled with arcing 3 pointer, after 3 pointer, after 3 pointer!!
    Who will be our best, most consistent 3 PT shooters? My thoughts-
    1. Monterosa
    2. Clay
    3. Bolon - saw video of him hitting 31 3s in a row. One of best in ohio at all star game
    4. French, Brady, Griffin, meininger
    5 everyone else

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    You can combat size somewhat by hitting a very high % of your shots...not many chances to lose the rebounding battle when the ball is falling through the bottom of the net. That's all well and good on the offensive end but the only counter on the defensive end is stealing the ball before they can shoot it. Looks like we will see because we are incredibly short heading into next year! To win with such a short lineup, we are going to need to play blinding fast...hit a big % of our 3 tries...trade 3's for 2's...and force a lot of turnovers. We've done each of those in the past so we have the ability, but there is very little margin for error.

The returning seniors need to have the team in the gym ever day starting today!!!!! The air at the ARSC needs to be filled with arcing 3 pointer, after 3 pointer, after 3 pointer!!
    You nailed it.
    Need some 40+% 3 PT shooters. Thought losing french hurt us there. Wlu needs to invest asap in getting a presence in Europe like russia, Spain and Serbia. We have foreign students from Russia and Spain who might help. They have more talented big guys who are aligned with our style and can shoot the three. Only recourse is to find d1 transfer like grossenbacher.

Challenges we face:
    1. Mec schools obviously practicing hard against our press. When they break it they have finishers who attack. Glenville, wju, and FSU come to mind.
    2. Mec is recruiting talented long guys taller than 6-5 who can kill you in the open court. Same schools come to mind. Risk is they get Monterosa and Griffin in foul trouble.

Imho That is one reason we did not press and trap continuously against some teams. They made us pay and we were not getting the turnovers. But without a big man our half court d will be vulnerable.

Non conf schools like Cheney state - that's another story.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by HeavenontheHill View Post
    Pretty spunky remark coming from the janitor for the ASRC!! 
    Yes, we all know who you are and you wouldn't have that job if your dad was not the former AD.
    So, did you get all your information about them staying while you sweeping the floors?? 
    You seem to know quite a bit about the building maintenance department at the ASRC. Guess that's from walking past it everyday on your way to the Sodexo office.

Leave a comment:

• HeavenontheHill
    replied

Originally posted by Bware2 View Post
    Anyone else vote to just ignore this guy? He obviously knows it all doesn't he?
    Pretty spunky remark coming from the janitor for the ASRC!! 😂
    Yes, we all know who you are and you wouldn't have that job if your dad was not the former AD.
    So, did you get all your information about them staying while you sweeping the floors?? 😂

Leave a comment:

• Bware2
    replied

Pretty sure they are staying

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Anyone know if both redshirts are staying

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
    We gotta get some size! Northwest Missouri manhandled Fairmont inside and Fairmont had athletes with size.

Leave a comment:

• Penguins87
    replied

Not sure on who got it. But if he wanted to be here, the money could be retrieved is my understanding.

Nick Smith is getting a few low-level D-I offers like Presbyterian. He would be a huge get here. Top-tier D-II is every bit as good if not better than low-level D-I. Toppers will try to close that one next week.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

We gotta get some size! Northwest Missouri manhandled Fairmont inside and Fairmont had athletes with size.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X