Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hat tip to UC. They put on a defensive clinic tonight. Boat is right that WLU didn't shoot well, but I firmly believe that UC caused that poor shooting performance. These weren't just unfortunate misses with guys' feet set. UC made everything difficult tonight. Heck of an effort by the Golden Eagles. All respect to Dwaine Osborne--that's an incredibly disciplined and well-coached team that came in here and put on a defensive clinic tonight.

Hope WLU gets another crack at them in the MEC tourney.

But right now, WLU has to get some things figured out and finish this regular season strong enough to build a tourney resume.

Obviously, this doesn't really matter in the long run, but I'll be sad to see their streak of top-25 appearances end this week. 10+ years in the rankings is pretty impressive and worth celebrating. Again, rankings don't win ballgames, and I know it doesn't matter, but it was a fun ride.

Time to start a new streak!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      Hat tip to UC. They put on a defensive clinic tonight. Boat is right that WLU didn't shoot well, but I firmly believe that UC caused that poor shooting performance. These weren't just unfortunate misses with guys' feet set. UC made everything difficult tonight. Heck of an effort by the Golden Eagles. All respect to Dwaine Osborne--that's an incredibly disciplined and well-coached team that came in here and put on a defensive clinic tonight.

Hope WLU gets another crack at them in the MEC tourney.

But right now, WLU has to get some things figured out and finish this regular season strong enough to build a tourney resume.

Obviously, this doesn't really matter in the long run, but I'll be sad to see their streak of top-25 appearances end this week. 10+ years in the rankings is pretty impressive and worth celebrating. Again, rankings don't win ballgames, and I know it doesn't matter, but it was a fun ride.

Time to start a new streak!
      I would rather NOT get another crack at UC in the MEC tourney.

UC beat us defensively outside knowing we had little chance of beating any of their bigs inside.

Comment

• Uc is a very well coached team, who nearly always gets a good shot. Good ball movement on offense.
        great rotations on defense.
        With sarson hurt and hinds with a bad knee, our 3 point threats were all around 6-0 ft.
        Uc's starting five only had one player under 6-4. One shadowed rasile. With their size advantage, Wlu had trouble getting that 6 ft buffer to allow an open look 3pt shot. Our forced turnovers and tremendous efforts by west, korte and Woodward kept us in the game. Tremendous effort on offensive glass.

UC played the odds by leaving low % shooters open when a choice had to be made.

To wlu credit, they played good half court defense even though they were outsized. Just fewer leakouts allowed in transition and it could have been a victory. There Is just a small margin for error when short handed and playing a good team and not shooting well.

imho wlu has to find a way to get rasile and company open looks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Our forced turnovers and tremendous efforts by west, korte and Woodward kept us in the game.

West was an absolute beast today for sure. Woodward is steadily getting better every single game, and that's great to see.

I love Korte's effort, but his losses of composure lately have been costly. The momentum of that game seemed to swing a bit when he got a silly T. In addition, he's going to have to stop flopping so much. A few times he was genuinely hammered, but no whistle comes because refs are so used to him falling down when breathed on. I'll take his effort and fire any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But I'd like to see him play a headier game. WLU has historically prided itself on playing a bit headier and avoiding the knucklehead stuff that costs lesser teams (national championship game last year notwithstanding). But this year's Hilltoppers have participated in some knucklehead stuff lately that isn't helping the cause.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I would rather NOT get another crack at UC in the MEC tourney.
            I'd like a chance to play a complete game against them and let them know they don't own the 2023-2024 edition of the Hilltoppers. It reminds me a bit of that Voorhees NDC team. They just had our number, and we never really got to them (losing in the MEC championship to them as well). It was a missed opportunity for sure, and Voorhees, Koenig, & company can always hang their hat on owning WLU that year. I'd like a shot at getting the last word against this year's UC group. They're really good and really well coached, no doubt--much like that old NDC team. But it's no use being afraid of good teams--gotta go out and prove you can beat them.

Comment

• Topper 3 point shooting during Ben's tenure as HC:

2017-18 .378 34
              2018-19 .425 28
              2019-20 .414 27
              2020-21 .392 23
              2021-22 .377 27
              2022-23 .384 32
              2023-24 .362 35

On average before this season, Ben lead teams at WLU average .395 from 3. As of right now, WLU is shooting their 3 point shots 33 points below average. Also, on average Ben coached Topper teams took 28 3pt shots per game. This years Toppers are averaging 35 3pt tries per game.

We are taking more 7 more 3 point shots per game this season but hitting at a much lower rate than a typical Ben coached team.

Comment

Uc is a very well coached team, who nearly always gets a good shot. Good ball movement on offense.
                great rotations on defense.
                With sarson hurt and hinds with a bad knee, our 3 point threats were all around 6-0 ft.
                Uc's starting five only had one player under 6-4. One shadowed rasile. With their size advantage, Wlu had trouble getting that 6 ft buffer to allow an open look 3pt shot. Our forced turnovers and tremendous efforts by west, korte and Woodward kept us in the game. Tremendous effort on offensive glass.

UC played the odds by leaving low % shooters open when a choice had to be made.

To wlu credit, they played good half court defense even though they were outsized. Just fewer leakouts allowed in transition and it could have been a victory. There Is just a small margin for error when short handed and playing a good team and not shooting well.

imho wlu has to find a way to get rasile and company open looks.

I thought in position-less basketball, size didn't matter?? ;-)

Comment

• That's what she said

Comment

I'd like a chance to play a complete game against them and let them know they don't own the 2023-2024 edition of the Hilltoppers. It reminds me a bit of that Voorhees NDC team. They just had our number, and we never really got to them (losing in the MEC championship to them as well). It was a missed opportunity for sure, and Voorhees, Koenig, & company can always hang their hat on owning WLU that year. I'd like a shot at getting the last word against this year's UC group. They're really good and really well coached, no doubt--much like that old NDC team. But it's no use being afraid of good teams--gotta go out and prove you can beat them.
                    With Fairmont and Concord still to play, I don't really want to face UC in the MEC tourney sitting at 6 or perhaps 7 losses. Imagine going onto the NCAA selection show sitting at 7 or even 8 losses!! You think the possibility of falling out of the top 25 for the first time in 10 years is upsetting, try not making the NCAA Tourney for the first time in 14 years!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      That's what she said
                      Yea...She says all kinds of things that she doesn't mean!!!

Comment

• For those fretting about 3 pt shooting (count me out), even though we have 4 40%+ shooters, help is on the way lol
                        jp dragas scored 52 points this week while hitting 8 threes.
                        6-7 kameron tinsley just broke jj Reddick's school record with a 45 point game. He is regarded in some scouting circles as one of the best shooters in Va.

Comment

For those fretting about 3 pt shooting (count me out), even though we have 4 40%+ shooters, help is on the way lol
                          jp dragas scored 52 points this week while hitting 8 threes.
                          6-7 kameron tinsley just broke jj Reddick's school record with a 45 point game. He is regarded in some scouting circles as one of the best shooters in Va.
                          I count 2 .400+ 3 point shooters...Same number as sub .200 3 point shooters.

Toppers just backed up a 27% 3 point shooting night with a 19% one.

As with most Topper teams, we will go as far as our 3 point shooting will carry us...And HOPE we get seeded on the other side of the bracket from teams with dominant athletic big men.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 02-04-2024, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I agree with you. This team is competitive with anyone in the MEC. No need to wish for bracket seeding favors. Regardless of style, a poor shooting night will get you beat against very good teams. UC is one of the best FG% teams in usa at 4th. Wlu is 39th which is very good. Wvsu is 11th best rebounding team while wlu is 22nd.

Imho, wlu will tweak their 2pt offense to compensate for teams selling out on the three. We are seeing rasile fake the three and drive for the open 15ft pull up or go to the rim.

Comment

I agree with you. This team is competitive with anyone in the MEC. No need to wish for bracket seeding favors. Regardless of style, a poor shooting night will get you beat against very good teams. UC is one of the best FG% teams in usa at 4th. Wlu is 39th which is very good. Wvsu is 11th best rebounding team while wlu is 22nd.

Imho, wlu will tweak their 2pt offense to compensate for teams selling out on the three. We are seeing rasile fake the three and drive for the open 15ft pull up or go to the rim.
                              Last two games 4 of Rasile's 16 shots have come from inside the 3 point line.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

With Fairmont and Concord still to play, I don't really want to face UC in the MEC tourney sitting at 6 or perhaps 7 losses. Imagine going onto the NCAA selection show sitting at 7 or even 8 losses!! You think the possibility of falling out of the top 25 for the first time in 10 years is upsetting, try not making the NCAA Tourney for the first time in 14 years!
                                I hear you. And if you look at Inkblot's PI after yesterday, he has WLU dropping to the 7 slot (firmly on the bubble). And fair enough.

But we know all of Gannon/Cal/ESU/Millersville except for one are going to incur at least one more loss (only one can win the PSAC tourney). ESU & Millersville still have one more regular season match-up as well. So that's another loss for one of them. The same holds for UC & Concord (who Inkblot has ranked above WLU right now). Only one can win the MEC tourney. And if WLU or WVSU would win the MEC tourney, both UC & Concord come out with at least another loss. Heck, Concord still has to come up here and work to avoid a season sweep at the hands of the Hilltoppers. If the Hilltoppers end up sweeping the season series from Concord, there's no way the committee puts Concord above WLU (despite what any metric might be suggesting).

So your fears about staying out of the 6/7-loss bubble range are totally legitimate. And the march toward March starts with taking care of business against a very game D&E squad this Wednesday.

But many of these 3/4-loss teams that are currently sitting comfortably are going to rapidly get uncomfortable when they inevitably incur an additional loss or two in their other conference and conference tourney schedules.

As many have said, the Atlantic is pretty wide open for the first time in years (it always felt like an IUP-WLU collision course . . . except it never quite worked out that way until it finally did last year). But this is a year when the UC's, ESU's, Millersville's of the world are licking their chops seeing a legit shot in a wide open field. No program is unbeatable this year. There's no 32-2 IUP squad looming. So buckle up for a wild finish. But I wouldn't count the Hilltoppers out just yet. And as many of the IUP posters have said, there's no one feeling one bit sorry for the Hilltoppers while they struggle to get it figured out. D&E is absolutely putting the last two game stories on a bulletin board and screaming "We're next!"

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X