Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Imho, wlu will tweak their 2pt offense to compensate for teams selling out on the three.
    I actually heard someone in the stands last night (heck, maybe it was even you!) yelling "they're overplaying the three--run a back cut for God's sake!"

I trust they'll get it figured out and adjust to what some teams are doing defensively this year. As Boat has pointed out, this team isn't as deep with shooters as a vintage WLU squad. There are about 4 guys who can reliably be counted on to hit from 3 (as opposed to years past when that number was often closer to 7 guys). As a result, opponents are doing more to sell out on guys like Rasile & Hinds when they're setting up beyond the arc. Now, WLU has to adjust to that reality and find some more stuff going toward the basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I actually heard someone in the stands last night (heck, maybe it was even you!) yelling "they're overplaying the three--run a back cut for God's sake!"

I trust they'll get it figured out and adjust to what some teams are doing defensively this year. As Boat has pointed out, this team isn't as deep with shooters as a vintage WLU squad. There are about 4 guys who can reliably be counted on to hit from 3 (as opposed to years past when that number was often closer to 7 guys). As a result, opponents are doing more to sell out on guys like Rasile & Hinds when they're setting up beyond the arc. Now, WLU has to adjust to that reality and find some more stuff going toward the basket.
      They may have to turn Fergus loose. He collapses defenses on his dribble drive and then dishes to corner or underneath. For being an incredible 1 on 1 player he has great vision and is a good passer.

Comment

• FYI
        Correction on end of glenville game. Previously written:

With the shot clock off, WLU called off the dogs, as is customary. As WLU dribbling out the clock, Turbo Smith left his man and ran across the court to try to steal the ball from behind. He was called for a foul. After that bush league play, the dogs were called back. WLU passed the ball inbounds to West, who buried a three. A fitting end to the game.

A knowledgeable fan who was at the game near the scorer"s table told me that the glenville coach was screaming at Turbo to go get the ball. So the source of the bush league play was the coach, not the player. My apologies to Turbo.

Comment

• That sounds familiar to Saturday in Erie...

Comment

FYI
            Correction on end of glenville game. Previously written:

With the shot clock off, WLU called off the dogs, as is customary. As WLU dribbling out the clock, Turbo Smith left his man and ran across the court to try to steal the ball from behind. He was called for a foul. After that bush league play, the dogs were called back. WLU passed the ball inbounds to West, who buried a three. A fitting end to the game.

A knowledgeable fan who was at the game near the scorer"s table told me that the glenville coach was screaming at Turbo to go get the ball. So the source of the bush league play was the coach, not the player. My apologies to Turbo.
            Unwritten rules, of course.

IUP was up like 20 on Seton Hill this year and SH fouled about 300 times in the final minute (and made the game last an extra half hour). I suppose it worked and got the score down to 11 or 12 by the end.

You could argue that's a Bush league move, too.

Comment

They may have to turn Fergus loose. He collapses defenses on his dribble drive and then dishes to corner or underneath. For being an incredible 1 on 1 player he has great vision and is a good passer.
              Why would we change what we do? The answer is just trying harder and doing better.

MORE COW BELL!!!!

Comment

• As the saying goes, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. WLUs performance in the first half vs D&;E was what has become all to typical of late (poor 3 pt shooting, getting beat inside, poor shot selection, etc). Lucky for us that we were playing against a team that wasn't able to fully exploit our problems and we were able to take a one point lead into half time. Second half we were finally to get our act together in the shooting department and stretch out to a 20 point win.

Good to see Montegue have a good game after a string of sub par performances. With Sarson injured, he needs to step up every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  As the saying goes, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. WLUs performance in the first half vs D&;E was what has become all to typical of late (poor 3 pt shooting, getting beat inside, poor shot selection, etc). Lucky for us that we were playing against a team that wasn't able to fully exploit our problems and we were able to take a one point lead into half time. Second half we were finally to get our act together in the shooting department and stretch out to a 20 point win.

Good to see Montegue have a good game after a string of sub par performances. With Sarson injured, he needs to step up every game.
                  I believe the lead at half was 9, but you're right that it didn't feel comfortable. And that first half had me thinking: "here we go again." Good to see them put it together in the second half.

Should have two "get healthy" games coming up in Wesleyan & Frostburg. Should. That said, gotta take care of business (something WVSU almost didn't do against this Frostburg team).

Comment

• A tough year for the ladies just gets tougher. Taking only their second loss to Wesleyan in the last 22 times out. Ouch.

Comment

• At wvsu Fairmont won 82-80.
                      a skirmish broke out in handshake line. announcers lamented lack of sportsmanship. Then things must have gotten worse, as announcers said "oh no!", followed by "we are cutting the video now!"

That puts wlu in 2nd place for now.

Comment

At wvsu Fairmont won 82-80.
                        a skirmish broke out in handshake line. announcers lamented lack of sportsmanship. Then things must have gotten worse, as announcers said "oh no!", followed by "we are cutting the video now!"

That puts wlu in 2nd place for now.
                        What's the story? Everybody likes a good brawl.

I hate when they cut the video. If players want to act like fools it should be seen.

The infamous West Chester and Seton Hill hoops brawl from several years ago was swept under the rug, video-wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I hate when they cut the video. If players want to act like fools it should be seen.

The infamous West Chester and Seton Hill hoops brawl from several years ago was swept under the rug, video-wise.
                          I couldn't find any links to the video anywhere on MEC TV last night. The videos are now posted today, but they're edited to shut down as soon as the clock hits 0.0 seconds. Looks like the conference has decided to try to keep it hush hush.
                          Last edited by Scrub; 02-11-2024, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Guess they don't want to project the school or the conference in a negative light. Pretty easy for a school to get a reputation for being "Thug U" and a conference were they play "basket-brawl" when there's extended video on YouTube.

Comment

• Fyi
                              machi chester is averaging 13 ppg for rock creek Christian, hitting 42% from three.
                              His team is playing against elite level schools from AZ, CA, NYC, etc. Other teams include Simeon, Calvert Hall, and Oak Hill Academy.
                              A wholly different level of completion compared to traditional high level D1 public high school teams.

Comment

• Fyi
                                Jp dragas 41 pts and 5 steals Saturday but in a loss.
                                https://www.maxpreps.com/news/0b8r6z...-jp-dragas.htm

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X