• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    It is but WLU has never really recruited there for basketball. Maybe a stray cat or dog ends up on the hilltop but not a lot. From a recruiting standpoint, WLU has been more "Eastern Ohio" than "Western PA."
    That's what I was thinking boat...They typically mine Ohio for their players...and over the last 10 years or so, really only had Lamberti from West Pa...and maybe Jordan Fee... (although would have had Nick Smith, had Crutch not gone to Nova)

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I don't know ... West Liberty basically is in Western Pa. I wouldn't think too much of it.
    It is but WLU has never really recruited there for basketball. Maybe a stray cat or dog ends up on the hilltop but not a lot. From a recruiting standpoint, WLU has been more "Eastern Ohio" than "Western PA."

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

This information comes from the player/"news media." It's not secret or privileged information. Anyone seeking such information can simply do a Google or Twitter search and find it in about 5 seconds.
    That is all true except the 5 second part. However websites like this one consolidate and somewhat vet the information ( famous example of a consolidation website is drudgereport) which dramatically reduces the effort considerably to get valuable and reasonably reliable information. Believe it or not there are programs that are too lazy or incompetent to evaluate players themselves so if they hear that a premier school (such as an iup) has offered someone they will offer them without any previous contact and try to poach the player at the 11th hour after a coach has spent long hours recruiting them. In some cases they have succeeded.

This was just an FYI. Obviously People are free to make their own decisions about what to post.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Wonder if this is a result of Lamberti's efforts in West Pa...He's from West Pa, and maybe was lead recruiter for Bryce Butler, from Latrobe and commit for Fall 2019...and now Stowers From Quaker Valley, another West PA guy...

ANd maybe just coincidence...

I don't know ... West Liberty basically is in Western Pa. I wouldn't think too much of it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

The world of twitter and other social media has made it easier to find info. Just 15 years ago, good luck finding anything.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Wonder if this is a result of Lamberti's efforts in West Pa...He's from West Pa, and maybe was lead recruiter for Bryce Butler, from Latrobe and commit for Fall 2019...and now Stowers From Quaker Valley, another West PA guy...

ANd maybe just coincidence...

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It wasn't long ago D2 basketball recruiting news was nearly impossible to find -- unless you had a legit source inside the athletic department.

I can recall years not knowing a thing until the roster posted in the early fall.

The 'Twitter World' has changed all that pretty quickly.

The kid from Quaker Valley has been linked to several programs from what I've heard. At one point Fairmont was involved.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Suggest it is in our best interest not to post about any rumored players until official even if the rumor is not true.
    This information comes from the player/"news media." It's not secret or privileged information. Anyone seeking such information can simply do a Google or Twitter search and find it in about 5 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Couple of players the Toppers are aledged to be "looking at/made offers to:"

SF Ryan Stowers, 6'5", 170, Quaker Valley HS PA
    PG DJ Dial, 5'9", 160, Brush HS OH
    Suggest it is in our best interest not to post about any rumored players until official even if the rumor is not true.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-14-2019, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Couple of players the Toppers are aledged to be "looking at/made offers to:"

SF Ryan Stowers, 6'5", 170, Quaker Valley HS PA
    PG DJ Dial, 5'9", 160, Brush HS OH

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Duquesne had a freshman transfer today. He's from Ohio. He's listed at 6'11", 300 pounds.
    You're not running the floor with that guy!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Ben could always look to the football team for a big man. Wake Forest's football profile states TE Thomas Cole was a two time All-Valley and McDonald's All-American basketball select coming out of Wellsburg HS. Yea, he's "only" 6'5" but he's listed at 245 pounds!! Hey, Dan Monteroso pulled the two sport star athlete thing off sooooo, maybe Cole could as well!!
    Duquesne had a freshman transfer today. He's from Ohio. He's listed at 6'11", 300 pounds.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Ben could always look to the football team for a big man. Wake Forest's football profile states TE Thomas Cole was a two time All-Valley and McDonald's All-American basketball select coming out of Wellsburg HS. Yea, he's "only" 6'5" but he's listed at 245 pounds!! Hey, Dan Monteroso pulled the two sport star athlete thing off sooooo, maybe Cole could as well!!

I also note that incoming OL Francisco Pedrozo's profile on the Eastern Michigan football site mentions he played basketball at St Thomas Aquinas HS. At 6'7", 310 pounds he would certainly represent an immovable object in the paint!!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 04-10-2019, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Wvguy View Post
    According to someone who knows him, he's had several programs contact him. The drawback is he would more then likely have to sit out an year since this is a second transfer. So what happens, it's anyone's guess
    Going to another DII or D3, sitting out a year wouldn't really hurt him from a number of years he could play standpoint. IF he goes DII/D3 he's used 6 of his 10 semesters of eligibility meaning he has 4 left. If he sat out next year, he would return the following year still with 4 semesters of eligibility which he would use in in 20-21 and 21-22. IF he tried to go back to D1, he's already used 3 of his 5 years, sitting out a year would be his 4th meaning he would have one year left which would be 20-21.

Did your friend give any insight to why Greely is intent on leaving?

Leave a comment:

• Wvguy
    replied

It only takes one offer. I don't see the market being to big for Greely. Think it will come down to taking the SW offer or come back to WLU. I don't think many players would be willing to come back to the school they wanted to leave so he will probably go to SW.

According to someone who knows him, he's had several programs contact him. The drawback is he would more then likely have to sit out an year since this is a second transfer. So what happens, it's anyone's guess

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X