X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

He can shoot the 3, perfect for West Liberty!
    Only saw him in limited sample size, but I wouldn't be opposed to that. If he's good enough to be recruited by Joe (and make it into Redshirt Joe's notoriously stingy rotation), he can clearly play. Howlett won't like to hear about defensive liabilities (if that's truly the book on him). But if he's willing to work, make smart basketball plays, and shoot it, I'd take him.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I suspect he'll land in the MEC.
    He can shoot the 3, perfect for West Liberty!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

So was his defense.

I felt he improved defensively as the year went on, but his scoring was never enough to justify the liability at the other end in my opinion. Seems like a good kid though. I hope it works out for him.
    I suspect he'll land in the MEC.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

His size was an issue on the defensive end!
    So was his defense.

I felt he improved defensively as the year went on, but his scoring was never enough to justify the liability at the other end in my opinion. Seems like a good kid though. I hope it works out for him.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    * BREAKING NEWS *

Bryce Radford is entering the transfer portal.

Can't say this is a shocker. His path to court time would have been very murky moving forward.
    His size was an issue on the defensive end!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    * BREAKING NEWS *

Bryce Radford is entering the transfer portal.

Can't say this is a shocker. His path to court time would have been very murky moving forward.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

And, to answer Boat's upcoming question, YES, HE CAN SHOOT THE TREY.
    ??????
    His 3 shooting in '20-'21 when he started 18/19 games was .311 which is OK but he doesn't seem like a bomber...most made 3s was 3 vs MERRIMACK; most taken 3s was 8 vs SF-BROOKLYN. He probably should have been D2 to start with but seems to think he's D1 and won't be convinced otherwise if his TP stint is any indication. And, of course, Palm Beach.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Well, if you believe message boards (no pun intended) ... it certainly appears Alabama is pretty warm and fuzzy with Armoni.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    What I don't get about Laskey is he was a superstar in the WPIAL, played actual minutes at St. Francis, sat in the portal for 8 months, is a 6'5" shooting guard with 2 years' eligibility, is a great student ... and, not one PSAC school offered him.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

But it's in Palm Beach! Philly Street is nice, but it's got nothing on Palm Beach!
    And, to answer Boat's upcoming question, YES, HE CAN SHOOT THE TREY.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Former St. Francis guard Bryce Laskey signed with D2 Palm Beach Atlantic.

I was hoping IUP was going to go after him but it never happened.

PBA is not a very good program.
    But it's in Palm Beach! Philly Street is nice, but it's got nothing on Palm Beach!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Former St. Francis guard Bryce Laskey signed with D2 Palm Beach Atlantic.

I was hoping IUP was going to go after him but it never happened.

PBA is not a very good program.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Some of it is endowed (principle invested and they withdraw no more than 4% earned interest) others are generated by donations, sponsorships, etc. I imagine Joe negotiated to keep a lot of the ticket revenue for games.

What IUP has done is put nearly all of their men's scholarship opportunities in football & basketball. Its one reason baseball was allowed to languish - almost no scholarship money. This strategy props up the sports people care about - most minor sports may not be great but they'll attract decent athletes without scholarship money for the opportunity. To be Title IX compliant you have to do well in the general athletic fundraising campaign each year to backfill what's not already designated for football & MBB but also funding women's scholarships proportionally. Hopefully that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    It's why D2 sports is more lopsided than MLB.

There are rich teams, poor teams ... and, the rest in between.

Wanna see who wins year after year ... follow the money.

The Clarion types may get a good year every 5-6 years but by and large have no chance year to year. It will be even worse now in the Portal Era.

Clarion, Lock Haven, etc., will just be feeder programs for the wealthy. Go there for 1-2 years, develop, raise your stock ... and get on the first freaking train out of town.

Cal football was a great example. Doormat forever until Angelo started pumping all sorts of money in to the program. And, poof, they took off like a bat out of h*ll.

Joe is blessed with a lot of corporate money being pumped in to the KCAC -- along with some big private money. Stars aren't cheap. You gotta spend big to win big.

Joe's a great coach. No doubt. But how good would he do at Clarion?

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

There's a 10 scholarship limit for basketball. For the PASSHE schools, those scholarships are real dollars raised by the school sitting in an account to pay themselves. So if IUP has 8 full scholarship dollars, multiply the full cost of attendance (tuition, fees, housing, meals, books) by 8. I wonder if the per-credit tuition model had athletes taking fewer classes to stretch out the money. Because the money is real and limited, its treated as "second dollar" money after all the government grants and academic scholarships.

For the privates, they award scholarships by just discounting the tuition (like paying below sticker for your car). Discounts are usually targeted by population so there are net tuition revenue goals for each group of students (men's basketball might need to bring in a certain amount of net tuition revenue to justify expenses or the discounts). Since the discount margin is factored into the university budget, they can spend more without it really affecting program operations. For PASSHE, a coach might need to decide between new equipment or an extra $1,000 for a player or making an away game an overnight. For the privates, the scholarships never affect how the program runs.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X