• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Dante on fire

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Don't know the numbers but it looks like IUP is getting out rebounded.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Hack fest according to these refs now. ugh

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Dante 2nd foul was soooooo stupid

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Joe gotta call those timeouts faster

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

This crew gonna have all starters both teams fouled out by halftime

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Lombardi is destroying these officials... the contact against IUP and no calls is crazy awful!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Dancecs first guard off bench

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Hopefully the foosball team is taking notes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Quick glance at Kutztown:

Record: 4-2

Wins: West Liberty, Cheyney, U-Sciences, Jefferson

Losses: West Virginia Wesleyan, Lincoln (Pa)

Scoring: 85.7 ppg
    Defending: 77.2 ppg

FG%: 51%
    FT%: 67%
    3PT%: 37%

Rebounds: 38 per game (opponents 34 per game)

Notes:

* Turnover-prone at times ... two games so far with 20+
    * Anthony Lee is the star ... playing 39.5 mpg, scoring 26 ppg
    * Moe Williams (6'7", 205 lbs) is their top post player (11.8 ppg, 9.2 rpg)
    * Lee and Williams only two players averaging double figures
    * Rotation is not deep ... 6 guys getting vast majority of minutes
    * Similar, but slightly smaller in size to Bowie State
    * Kutztown will fire a ton of treys up every game
    * Results so far have been sporadic

No big scouting report here. No surprises of what is coming. This is like playing Concord and Tommy Bolte. Joe typically goes with the 'shut down the rest of the team' approach. Keep Lee around his average and hammer the other guys.

IUP has won the past two meetings in the series but did lose a nail-biter in its last trip to Kutztown three years ago.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Good thoughts.

If you divide up the schedule in sections ... with the first one being completed, it's a great start.

The next 10 games are brutal for IUP (with 6 of them being on the road):

at Kutztown
    at Millersville (better than many think)

Shippensburg

at Fairmont State

West Chester

____ XMAS____

Gannon
    UPJ

at Mercyhurst
    at Slippery Rock
    at East Stroudsburg

I'd be pretty ecstatic coming out of this 10-game set at 8-2 ... thrilled at 9-1. There's some real battles ahead in the near future. One nice thing is they get to go to FSU, Rock and ESU while students are gone ... offsets that home court advantage a bit. Playing at SRU over break is a huge advantage. They pack Morrow for IUP when they play during the semester.

Leave a comment:

• PSACwatcher
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Last year's team would have been 4-2 right now instead of 6-0.

These (big four) East crossover games and the trip to Fairmont State are going to be highly difficult. Getting Ship, WCU, Kutztown and ESU in the same season is tough. At least two of them are in Indiana.

Let's not get too far ahead. There are some faults showing to this point.

My big concern is this team getting sucked in to a West slop fest. It isn't built to bang.

Last year they were arrogant talkers. This group is confident players. Major difference. Great start. No doubt. But, yes, the roster is just way better. They are deep and will keep getting deeper.

They have 8 players who can all score. The 9th will soon be Danscecs as Joe gets more confidence in him. He's the floor spreader. Great deep shot. Hard group to defend for 40 minutes. They also can crank the D like no Joe team since DeVante's group.
    IUP has talent but, more importantly, experienced older guys. That age gap of being 4-5 years older than many of their opponents plus playing together for a few years (Cobo, Lombardi and Wilem) makes a huge difference in college, IMO. From what I have seen in the West so far (not trying to jinx it IUPbigINDIAN), the only teams that could remotely challenge IUP in the West (assuming IUP remains injury free) are SRU and Gannon because both of those teams have the pure athleticism, defensive and rebounding capabilities and depth to challenge IUP "on any given night". IUP beats every other team in the West 10/10 games, but IUP beats SRU and Gannon 8/10. SRU has Till so SRU should be competitive in every game, but SRU's "other" issues may simply be too difficult for SRU to overcome in the long run. Gannon is super young and "PSAC inexperienced" at the guard spots, but Gannon's frosh guards are really athletic and talented. They just need time and Frank Webb. Gannon doesn't have a "go to" guy inside, but Gannon does have 4-5 very strong, athletic Bigs that can at least guard and rebound. Gannon needs "more reps", as they say in football, and will be much better after Webb and Salsamendi return and also when PSAC play heats up in 2019.

In the East, Ship is undersized and, in my opinion, a bit overrated despite really good coaching. Ship has beaten "tomato cans" to this point and I don't think Ship is built for the long haul. The other contenders in the East - E Stroud, W Chester and Kutztown - are all capable but I don't see those teams getting much better over the course of the season.

The PSAC is clearly IUP's to lose.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    There is something really different about how Irish Tom recruits compared to the other IUP WBB coaches when I used to sit in the bleachers and watch their teams play. I probably subscribed to the Jeff Dow recruiting the most with a few of the classes he got such as 2009 and 2011. But they all had their gems.

I guess it's hard to argue with Irish Tom, what's his record----something like 120-34? He has done well.

-

Tom keeps finding gems. No doubt. He's done about 90 percent high school classes and the occasional 'right fit' transfer.

The women's game, for a variety of reasons, has a tremendously better player retention rate. He redshirts many of these girls and keeps the depth at a high level. Tom's teams are incredibly fundamentally sound.

Last year was really the first year I started to really enjoy watching the women's game. Joe's team was hard to watch at times last year. LOL.

Jury is still out on this season. The ladies have played a glorified high school schedule to this point. Things get real here in a couple weeks. But, they are deep with upperclassmen and have a loaded freshmen class sitting on the bench. Appleby is a legit first team All-America player.

I really hope they do get at least one test prior to the Cal/Boro games.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Tom has two officially signed new recruits for next year's class.

Josie Smith, a 6'1" forward from New Albany High School (New Albany, OH), and Maria Cerro, a 5'6" guard from Bethel Park High School.

The IUP ladies moved up to No. 3 in yesterday's national poll.
    New Albany is a super nice area in Columbus. Real ritzy. Outside of the city, so it's a little country, but man.. The houses there are freaking huge. Lot of money in that town. Rivals the Dublin/Muirfield area here. Dublin/Muirfield probably takes the cake for rich people in Columbus. That's where Muirfield Village is located,. Home of the Memorial tournament on the PGA Tour each summer. For the fans out there, everybody's boy Urban lives there lol.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Tom has two officially signed new recruits for next year's class.

Josie Smith, a 6'1" forward from New Albany High School (New Albany, OH), and Maria Cerro, a 5'6" guard from Bethel Park High School.

The IUP ladies moved up to No. 3 in yesterday's national poll.
    There is something really different about how Irish Tom recruits compared to the other IUP WBB coaches when I used to sit in the bleachers and watch their teams play. I probably subscribed to the Jeff Dow recruiting the most with a few of the classes he got such as 2009 and 2011. But they all had their gems.

I guess it's hard to argue with Irish Tom, what's his record----something like 120-34? He has done well.

-

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X