Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone see the non call travel on SRU in last night's Boro game. This official had one of the worst collegiate officiated games I've seen in years Saturday too. I wouldn't want to be the head of officials last night, that's for sure.

https://twitter.com/mikegallagher24/...tgqTBlVDA&s=19

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post
      Did anyone see the non call travel on SRU in last night's Boro game. This official had one of the worst collegiate officiated games I've seen in years Saturday too. I wouldn't want to be the head of officials last night, that's for sure.

https://twitter.com/mikegallagher24/...tgqTBlVDA&s=19
      Lol I saw it last night. It happened right in front of two officials. That changed the whole ending to the game. Boro should have got the ball with a chance to tie.

For two officials to miss that blatant call in that moment is suspension worthy.

I thought the Edinboro announcer was going to have a heart attack live on the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Lol I saw it last night. It happened right in front of two officials. That changed the whole ending to the game. Boro should have got the ball with a chance to tie.

For two officials to miss that blatant call in that moment is suspension worthy.

I thought the Edinboro announcer was going to have a heart attack live on the air.
        Safe to say those officials had Rock -5.5…

#PSACTION

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I agree it's a horrible job. I certainly wouldn't want to do it. In some cases it's gone beyond booing and yelling about bad calls (which I've certainly been guilty of at times) and gotten to the point where you see videos of nitwits physically confronting officials at youth sports league events. What a poor example it sets for those kids.

I have a friend who loves basketball and was seriously thinking about becoming a PIAA official, but then he officiated a game in our local YMCA recreational league and took so much crap, much of it coming from someone he had considered a friend, that he decided officiating wasn't for him. Our area high school athletic conference can't play all of its football games on Friday nights because there aren't enough football crews to cover the whole league playing on one night.

I try to restrain myself from getting too wound up about the officiating as I know how difficult it is from my brief and largely unsuccessful efforts to do it. I'm someone who likes to mull over a decision before I make it, and you just don't have time to do that on a basketball court. I do wish they'd step up enforcement of traveling (the so-called "Euro step" is one of the game's great farces), the three-second lane violation, and carrying the ball. Almost every player carries the ball on the dribble these days, but some are over the top with it. And as I said in an earlier post, they need to get control of some of the coaches and their sideline behavior. That is something every official should be able to manage.

It's hard to see where you could have robot officials in basketball because there is too much motion and area to cover. We'll have to continue to depend on humans who, like all of us, are fallible. I hope we can continue to get enough of them.
          When I was a student at BU they had partner with the PIAA to offer a free 2-part course to learn how to be a PIAA basketball official and take the exam (which is normally something like a $75-$100 fee if I remember correctly) at least once or twice. My freshman year I took the classes (but forgot to go on test night, whoops); all told there were maybe 12 of us in the class. The refs teaching it had some fun stories about bad calls they were obligated to support since you don’t undermine the other guys in stripes as well as some of the nastier things fans and coaches had said to them. That was 12 years ago and I can only imagine the crowds have gotten worse and the applicant pool hasn’t gotten any bigger.

Comment

I thought it was funny / sad that the stats don't list the officials names as they typically do. I used to know almost all the officials names from wbb, nowhere maybe 2/3 but there are a lot of newer guys. With it I guess takes some time but jfc it was blatant blown call after call. It's not just outcome but the injury risks I worry about. GU women have two players out rn from in game injuries. Starting pg due to a blatant injury from Hurst player where our pg was called with the foul lol. More I could say but I'll stop.

I know coaches are can request to psac officials that they no longer call their games. Have a hunch baldy is on everyones **** list right now.

​​

Comment

• To quote the famous ESPN talking heads ... Come on, Man.

In yesterday's Gazette:

​​​​​​“There were a lot of lessons learned tonight,” Lombardi said. “Some guys have to understand you’ve got to be ready when your number is called and those guys learned that lesson, and some guys learned how hard it is to keep competing night after night.”

I don't know for certain whom Joe is referencing here. I'm going to assume it's Lambert, Waldo and Sarp.

So, in a nutshell, the head ball coach expects his lawn ornaments -- two of the three, by the way, haven't played in a month -- to suddenly (and, productively) enter a game against what is perceived to be perhaps the top team in the Atlantic Region. All three are freshmen.

As we've beat to a dead horse (for years), these guys cannot be expected to enter a game -- in that freaking moment -- without having played in weeks or a month. It just doesn't work that way.

This is the classic case (yet again) of Joe not developing a bench -- and, when the night comes (and, it always does) he ends up with several deer-in-the-headlight players on the floor.

The players didn't lose the Cal game. The coach did. His remaining team wasn't ready to play (remaining being those on the bench, and not the four starters plus Joe's golden boy).

The other elephant in the room, Damir Brooks, never took his warm-up jersey off. He was the only dressed player (there aren't many) to not play a second -- not a second in a brutally physical game against a giant lineup. For those not in the know, Damir is an imposing 6'6" and 220 lbs. Very quick and athletic. Very physical. Hard to move. Crazy hops. Tough rebounder. Is he perfect? No. His hands are shaky. He gets out of position frequently. But, Good Lord, live with it. He brings WAY more at SF than anybody else on that team. It's not even close. On a night when Josh Petteno wasn't even dressed, Joe STILL wouldln't play Damir. Instead he let his 4-position get mauled all night. Cal was so terrified of Joe's SF position they didn't even guard it -- instead smothering Porterfield for 40 minutes (thus clogging up the entire offense).

It's sickeing.

Joe's sure lucky he plays in the bus leagues and doesn't have to answer actual media questions.

The IUP bench (that needed to be ready lol) chipped in a whopping 2 points on the night. If he wants them to be ready, maybe he should get them ready.

Comment

To quote the famous ESPN talking heads ... Come on, Man.

In yesterday's Gazette:

​​​​​​“There were a lot of lessons learned tonight,” Lombardi said. “Some guys have to understand you’ve got to be ready when your number is called and those guys learned that lesson, and some guys learned how hard it is to keep competing night after night.”

I don't know for certain whom Joe is referencing here. I'm going to assume it's Lambert, Waldo and Sarp.

So, in a nutshell, the head ball coach expects his lawn ornaments -- two of the three, by the way, haven't played in a month -- to suddenly (and, productively) enter a game against what is perceived to be perhaps the top team in the Atlantic Region. All three are freshmen.

As we've beat to a dead horse (for years), these guys cannot be expected to enter a game -- in that freaking moment -- without having played in weeks or a month. It just doesn't work that way.

This is the classic case (yet again) of Joe not developing a bench -- and, when the night comes (and, it always does) he ends up with several deer-in-the-headlight players on the floor.

The players didn't lose the Cal game. The coach did. His remaining team wasn't ready to play (remaining being those on the bench, and not the four starters plus Joe's golden boy).

The other elephant in the room, Damir Brooks, never took his warm-up jersey off. He was the only dressed player (there aren't many) to not play a second -- not a second in a brutally physical game against a giant lineup. For those not in the know, Damir is an imposing 6'6" and 220 lbs. Very quick and athletic. Very physical. Hard to move. Crazy hops. Tough rebounder. Is he perfect? No. His hands are shaky. He gets out of position frequently. But, Good Lord, live with it. He brings WAY more at SF than anybody else on that team. It's not even close. On a night when Josh Petteno wasn't even dressed, Joe STILL wouldln't play Damir. Instead he let his 4-position get mauled all night. Cal was so terrified of Joe's SF position they didn't even guard it -- instead smothering Porterfield for 40 minutes (thus clogging up the entire offense).

It's sickeing.

Joe's sure lucky he plays in the bus leagues and doesn't have to answer actual media questions.

The IUP bench (that needed to be ready lol) chipped in a whopping 2 points on the night. If he wants them to be ready, maybe he should get them ready.
                At the risk of also beating a dead horse as I've posted this before, I am just baffled at why he doesn't play Brooks. We don't have a physically imposing team at Ship this year and Brooks just killed us. He shot 6-for-8 and grabbed 8 rebounds in 28 minutes of playing time. Obviously Cal is a much more formidable team, but I certainly have to believe Brooks's physical presence could have helped them Monday. If he gets into the transfer portal, I'd be glad to see him make a return visit to Ship.

Comment

• Couldn't agree more with the last two comments from IUPbigINDIANS and Ship69 (apart from Brooks going to Ship that is! lol)

Comment

• 1) Stewart 9 pts in the first half but barely touched the floor in the second half… why?

2) Brooks sparked IUP run in the second half then promptly yanked for KJ… why???

3) Joe is very blessed that this team was s coming together… shut up Joe! You’d kill people if it weren’t for your KJ man crush!

4) Goal tend vs Block… refs aren’t sure the difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      1) Stewart 9 pts in the first half but barely touched the floor in the second half… why?

2) Brooks sparked IUP run in the second half then promptly yanked for KJ… why???

3) Joe is very blessed that this team was s coming together… shut up Joe! You’d kill people if it weren’t for your KJ man crush!

4) Goal tend vs Block… refs aren’t sure the difference.
                      If Damir played 30 minutes tonight IUP would've won by 25 points.

Clarion's offense vanished with him in the game.

Plain as day. Film doesn't lie.

Comment

• Any win with this remaining roster is a good win. But, tonight shouldn't have been close. Joe needed to drop the hammer rather than subbing constantly. IUP had several chances to bust that game wide open.

Stewart vanishing to the pine in the second half was mind-boggling.

Damir played great when he was in. Shocker. As soon as he'd go out, Clarion would go on a run. Clock work. He literally altered everything Clarion did. How the big guy can't see that is amazing. He had some massive blocks and rebounds. I feel bad for him. He's a legit starter in this league and at minimum should be playing 25-26 mpg.

Bryce pulling up for an NBA trey on a 2 on 1 break (while up just two points with two minutes to play) was insane. Naturally nothing but net. But, wowsers. Balls of steel in that moment. Had he missed, he may have called an Uber to get home.

Garvin had another amazing game. Ethan, too.

Clarion was vastly bigger, deeper, faster and way more athletic than IUP. They just have some real sloppy stretches that kill them. That team is nearly all freshmen and sophomores. They're coming. Next year may be the breakout.

Comment

• Petteno dressed and no run?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                            Petteno dressed and no run?
                            I'd guess he was dressed for an emergency-only role. Looked like his wrist was still heavily taped up.

Comment

I'd guess he was dressed for an emergency-only role. Looked like his wrist was still heavily taped up.
                              KJ sucking ass must not be an emergency.

Comment

• Serious question:

What do you think Joe is seeing that we’re not? We’re fans and followers that aren’t college basketball coaches, let alone winning more than 400 games with an almost 80% win percentage and a full trophy case. Despite the proven track record and accolades, we see what we think are flaws, particularly related to playing time and rotations, that he either doesn’t see or just views differently. I know basketball to an extent but have never played or coached yet it seems obvious to me that Brooks should be on the floor a lot more than he is, and that KJ should be on the floor a lot less. There’s no doubt that KJ brings a lot of energy and hustles every second that he’s out there, but the talent gap between him and Brooks and others that aren’t playing seems significant.

If it was an issue behind the scenes and Brooks was in the dog house, he probably wouldn’t play at all. If it’s a lack of effort or poor performance in practice, I don’t think that is a good enough reason to not play a kid. I’ve coached football and baseball and every single team had a player or two that weren’t necessarily good practice players but when the uniform was on they were high performers. I’ve also seen great practice players that couldn’t carry the same level of play into games. It’s not just Brooks either. We’ve seen very little of Lambert or Waldo who I think both should be getting a few minutes, especially in a year when the team is already short handed and there are minutes available. This supports IUPbigIndians’ notion that Joe doesn’t develop his bench.

So how in the hell is he winning at the rate he does? I thought this year’s team was going to be under .500 even with Dillard, but they’re going to end well over that without him. It’s not always pretty, but they’re winning somehow and hanging in there with teams like Cal that are far better. I don’t care much about margin of victory and there were times last night when it got tighter than it probably should have, but they won a conference game on the road with a depleted roster.

How’s he doing it? What are we missing looking from the outside in?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X