X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Getting down to crunch time. No team will be easy the rest of the way. Hopefully IUP plays better on Saturday then last night. Chucky is going to have to play a huge role the rest of the way! Finally, Joe is giving him big minutes!!! He's a spark plug!

Marco looked awkward around the rim yesterday. Hopefully that was a one game thing. (The refs letting guys beat on him probably didn't help)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Not that's its overly relevant at this point, but looking back at the boxscore from IUP's 80-75 victory over West Chester in December ... couple observations:

* Cobo (25 & 11) and Armoni (24) had huge games
    * Dante 16 pts and just 1 TO (4-14 from the field)
    * Chucky wasn't a factor as his role hadn't been defined at that point. He played an uneventful 6 minutes.
    * IUP won the game at the FT line ... going 24-30

* I recall IUP looked extremely tired in that game as it was coming off highly-emotional wins against Shippensburg and at Fairmont State. In comparison, WCU had 10 days off prior to the game. It was also the last game before XMAS break when, really, you never know what to expect.

* Both teams were awful from the outside: WCU went 5-28 and IUP was 8-28

* IUP lost the boards 46-35, and both teams played fairly clean with WCU committing 12 TOs and IUP 10 TOs.

* WCU had four guys in double figures but shot just 31.6% for the night

* I recall they made it very difficult on IUP to get clean shots off from three-point range and played with a distinct physicality.

* Joe hardly used the bench at all in the game. Armoni played 36 minutes, Cobo (35), Malik (32) and Dante (32). Willem fouled out. Danscecs actually played (4) minutes as Dante was also in foul trouble.

* After WCU's loss in the KCAC the Rams went on to win 14 straight.

* WCU is one of the few teams that matches up well to IUP size-wise. They have several 6'4" guards and are big under the basket.

* IUP wasn't pressing a whole lot at that point in the season. That has changed since and WCU struggled mightily with ESU's pressure last week.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Cobo - 19 & 11

Malik - 17 (5 TOs too much but a solid outing)

Dante - 16 & 5:1 assist/TO

Chucky - 8 & 3 boards in 18 minutes ... huge defensive game

Team stats:

* 67% FTs ... gotta get better here
    * 29.6% from deep (8-27) ... not great
    * 40.9% from the field overall ... not great
    * Lost the boards 35-30 ... how does that happen?
    * Only 7 TOs ... fantastic

* Personal fouls: UPJ 21 IUP 16 .... can already hear the UPJ rant (again)

Overall, it was a pretty good performance. Beating a pretty good, scrapy team for for a third time isn't easy. They know each other so well.

UPJ brought a nice crowd tonight. There was more fans there tonight than UPJ usually has for home games. They had some freshmen moments tonight which is expected on this type of stage. Krompka couldn't stay clean. That killed them. Absolutely killed them. Their whole offense changes when he's either not in the game or playing with foul fear.

Josh Wise may be as annoying as sin ... but he's a REAL good player.

Saturday is going to show a team every bit as big as IUP -- and as talented. Willem and Marko have to perform way better than they did tonight. WAY better.

Enjoy this win against UPJ tonight. Next year may be a whole different story.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    I like him as a spark off the bench but he has to play double digit minutes.
    I agree but Bravado took way too long to make that change tonight. Everybody knew Willem was a liability against UPJ.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    If Chucky isn't starting .... call me confused. It's not even close.
    I like him as a spark off the bench but he has to play double digit minutes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

If Chucky isn't starting .... call me confused. It's not even close.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

UPJ can play! Big win and move on!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Chucky on fire

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

CHUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

CSI: West Liberty

lol
    Hahahahaha!!! Something like that! I had to justify using the program for this as a "training event."

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

The problem that day was that the backboard lights and the clock were not completely synced up. Also if I remember right one basket was slightly different than the other. I remember seeing still shots that showed the ball on his fingertips and the lights were red around the backboard he was shooting at but the clock said .01. They did refer to the monitor though to make the call. Not sure if you go with the lights or the .01, they obviously went with the lights. Hard pill to swallow either way.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I've looked and I can't find it anymore either. But in the days after the game, I reviewed in at least 20 times. I actually loaded it into a video forensics program we had at work which let me do all sort of things (ultra slow, enhance areas, amplify background sounds, etc). It was close but clear even in "normal" mode...clear space between Gross's fingertip and the ball as the clock ticks to .00 and then a very small fraction of a second (actually 2 hundreds of a second...that's how powerful this video program is!) the horn sounded.

CSI: West Liberty

lol

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Here's Sancomb's side of the story:

https://fightingfalcons.com/news/201...t-liberty.aspx

Can't seem to find the video on Youtube ... gotta be on there somewhere.
    I've looked and I can't find it anymore either. But in the days after the game, I reviewed in at least 20 times. I actually loaded it into a video forensics program we had at work which let me do all sort of things (ultra slow, enhance areas, amplify background sounds, etc). It was close but clear even in "normal" mode...clear space between Gross's fingertip and the ball as the clock ticks to .00 and then a very small fraction of a second (actually 2 hundreds of a second...that's how powerful this video program is!) the horn sounded.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Here's Sancomb's side of the story:

https://fightingfalcons.com/news/201...t-liberty.aspx

Can't seem to find the video on Youtube ... gotta be on there somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

You guys realize how hard that is in real time to get that call right? To this day one half of that gym says the bucket was good and the other half says it wasn't. You're talking fractions of a second and tips of fingers releasing a ball -- at full speed. Does video of it not exist?

Boswell's banked-in, semi-corner three is just as amazing. He could shoot that 100 times and may not make it again.

Nobody watching that live could definitively make that call without guessing. To my memory they did have a monitor on the scorers' table. Remember they immediately froze the broadcast and all you could hear was the announcers saying it was no good and WJ had won. Then radio silence.
    That's just it, the refs DID make the right call at first...Then changed their mind. Yes, there was video that clearly shows the clock ticking down the last second and light is clearly visible between Gross's fingertip and the ball with the clock at .01. Was it a bang-bang play? Sure was. But the point is that they got it right initially, then bowed to pressure changing the call even in the face of definitive video.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X